Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain Pass Performance Smash Plate Review + Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mountain Pass Performance Smash Plate Install and Review

Background:

Slammed Model Y on MPP coilovers.

If you’ve ever looked under the front of your car you’ll see that the factory skid plate is more of a felt blanket and isn’t going to protect you from anything.

Purchased as cheap insurance. Went directly to Mountain Pass Performance and bought their smash me plate for $295 before tax.

Having a friend helps to hold the plate while you screw it in, but otherwise you can easily do it yourself. Your order will come with 3 spacers and screws as well as the plate.

You’ll need the following tools:
10mm socket
15mm socket
17mm socket
Jack stands/car ramp or a lift
A jack or two

Install instructions:
Lift car, unbolt 10 bolts (8 10mm, 2 15mm) drop the old plate, put middle and two back side spacers in (They’ll screw into existing holes/screws that you’ll figure out easily) then lift plate up and bolt it in. You can use the screws MPP provides or use the original ones from your car. Torque everything down and you’re good to go.

The smash plate is also very durable as well. I had an incident actually having it work in action. A rock fell from a construction truck and I was unable to swerve out of the way in time. The smash plate took it like a champ. It bent the plate upward causing me to rub my front sway bar but luckily I was able to straighten it out. Like I said, cheap insurance.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer here or through my IG @Herroweric.

MPP Model Y/3 "Smash Me" Front Skid Plate - Mountain Pass Performance

I did this a while ago (posted pictures on the forum) as well after a trip to the mountains earlier in the year. Drove over a pile of snow with a bolder hidden underneath. Shredded the plastic cover plate. I took some time to scuff-up one side of the plate, primed/painted it with truck bedliner spray. It looks awesome and matches remanning belly covers. I highly recommend it. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Herroweric
I did this a while ago (posted pictures on the forum) as well after a trip to the mountains earlier in the year. Drove over a pile of snow with a bolder hidden underneath. Shredded the plastic cover plate. I took some time to scuff-up one side of the plate, primed/painted it with truck bedliner spray. It looks awesome and matches remanning belly covers. I highly recommend it. :D

Man that’s crazy! And yes highly recommended lol

Some pics of the carnage. Lucky to have it

B06F0EE8-05CA-4662-ABB8-78ECC0F7E5F5.jpeg
70C18904-27DB-4E80-9131-6E5D799BB6F2.jpeg