Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mountain Pass Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines Install and Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mountain Pass Performance Stainless Steel Brake Lines Install and Review

Background:

Daily driven Model Y that won't be taken to the track.

As someone who works from home and commutes to the office maybe once a twice a week, there was really no reason for me to buy these. But I've always noticed the factory pedal feel was a bit spongy compared to cars I've owned in the past. These lines were the solution.

Having a friend help you bleed the brakes will be nice if you don't have a brake bleed tool.

You’ll need the following tools:
Brake Fluid (I went with DOT3)
Brake Bleed Kit
Socket and Wrench Set
Needle Nose pliers
hammer
Jack stands/car ramp or a lift
A jack or two

Install instructions:

You can find them here on MPP's page. Super easy job.

Brake pedal feel is much stiffer. You actually get the performance aspect out of the brembos if you have a performance model. I went with DOT3 since that's the factory spec fluid and because I don't plan on tracking the car. If you do track your car, you should go with DOT4 with its higher temperature level.

For $155, it's a great little upgrade. Easy to install and even easier if you have a brake bleed kit. If not, any mechanic can slap these on and flush the brakes for you.

Worthy of a buy.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them here or through my IG @Herroweric.

This is possible too. I'm sure if I cut open the factory lines, it will be steel braided.

Who knows though. I've done the same thing to previous cars like my E36 M3, VW GTIs, etc. Felt better with steel lines but maybe the flush did it?

At least you have a wear item you don't need to worry about for a long time.

Did you do the brake pump bleed method? I wonder if Tesla has a service option like most BMWs that can cycle ABS/DSC pump to get all possible air out.

At least you have a wear item you don't need to worry about for a long time.

Did you do the brake pump bleed method? I wonder if Tesla has a service option like most BMWs that can cycle ABS/DSC pump to get all possible air out.
Tesla does have the ability to cycle the ABS system for brake bleeding. However, it is through Toolbox and only their techs will have access to it.