Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally got my MPP coil-overs! Now to figure out the plan of height. There's a lot of info in here for dampener settings but (maybe I missed it) not a lot about the height settings. I'm a little confused because the MPP website shows conflicting information on the height settings on the high side (comparing the part of the site with the coil-over info and the part that has the install instructions). I'm debating whether to keep it at stock MYP height (where i am now with stock setup) or actually go UP to the max height.

Looking at all the data given, I cannot tell if going max height will get me 10mm like the product page says because the numbers don't match up and I'm not sure why? Factory hub-fender is 422/424mm so expected to be able to get it to 432/434mm range. The Product page recommends 430/430mm max so that's not quite 10mm. Then, the instructions show maximum setting to 426/426mm, which is only a few mm higher than what the product page says for stock. What gives with all the different data/spec? What is accurate? And what Spring Perch offset do I need for the OE MYP setting (instructions tell me the max and recommended lowered but not stock)?

From the product page:

• Height adjustable from 10mm above the OE Performance Y ride height to factory ride height down to 40mm lower.

RIDE HEIGHT RANGE:

Factory Hub-Fender Distance (21″ Wheels, Performance Model Y):

Front: 422mm
Rear: 424mm

MPP Comfort Adjustable Recommended Hub-Fender Distance:

Front: 385mm – 430mm
Rear: 385mm – 430mm

From the instructions page:

For Maximum Height:

FRONT:

FRONT SPRING PERCH OFFSET: 79mm
FRONT RIDE HEIGHT: 426mm (Hub to Fender)

REAR:

REAR SPRING PERCH OFFSET: 40mm (this is the maximum allowed perch position)
REAR RIDE HEIGHT: 426mm (Hub to Fender)

I had the MPP Coilovers professionally installed and the car aligned yesterday.

The ride quality has improved tremendously. The quality of damping is more akin to expensive sports/luxury cars. Like others have said, the faster you go the smoother the ride becomes. I am pleased and look forward to playing with the settings. Current settings (also shared in numbers only thread):

- 21‘ MY PUP & 21” Staggered OE Uberturbines/Pirellis
- MPP Comfort Dual Adjustable Coilovers (KW)
- MPP Rear Adjustable Camber Arms

Settings:

Front compression: 13
Front rebound: 13

Rear compression: 11
Rear rebound: 9

Front perch offset: 60mm
Rear perch offset: 20mm
(This brings the ride height just a smidge below the Performance ride height)

Alignment just within Tesla specs for MY PUP. Keen observers will note that all my settings are just shy of MPP’s initial recommendations (both height and damping settings).

Pictures:
56501F30-7FC3-4873-907B-CC4071D6B9D6.jpeg
832A8192-0136-4763-B21A-43E891AF270B.jpeg

61850942-766C-41E3-BAC0-8D3E9ABD68A3.jpeg

Attachments

• 1746956F-11C5-4F97-A578-31FE54B01DCA.jpeg
    1746956F-11C5-4F97-A578-31FE54B01DCA.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 105
FYI - you all are probably all smarter than me and knew this already but I just realized that you need to adjust the spring perches about half of the overall desired change. I wanted to raise my car 1/4" so I dialed in an additional 1/4" on the spring perches which resulted in raising the car 1/2". I couldn't understand why until it dawned on me that the adjustment is closer to the control arm pivot and my measurement was out at the fender. Trigonometry for the win.

Haha yes, this is called motion ratio! As a rough guide, we've found that the motion ratio doesn't always 100% align with the motion ratio (which as you mentioned @Ruffles, is about 0.56:1). It's closer to around 0.70-0.75:1 in the rear, generally. So a 0.7-0.75mm perch adjustment will result in a 1mm ride height adjustment.

In the front, it's closer to 0.75-0.80:1 - so a 0.8mm perch adjustment will result in a 1mm ride height change. The reason for this is that there are rubber bushings (including the factory anti-roll bars) that play a roll in the sprung "final height" of the car.

@buddalun, car looks great! Thank you for sharing and thanks for the wonderful feedback!

Reactions: Ruffles
@SPCBL1 - The difference comes down to what we recommend versus what the total adjustment range offers. Feel free to email or call with any specific questions!

It's also worth noting that every car can be a little bit different (in the rear) - so don't hold us to an exact number within 1-2mm!
Ha yeah thanks. Sorry I'm an engineer so I always strive for exact numbers LOL

So what settings would you recommend to start with if I want to keep the height the same as stock MYP?

Also I didn't notice any torque specs other than the top hat bolts (engineer, remember) in the instructions, do you guys happen to have that handy?

Reactions: whisperingshad