Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did the try to adjust the height with the weight on it? Didn't they have to take off the wheel? Id expect the springs to settle a bit and go lower so would they just have to reinstall the rears again just to get it back to your spec height?

I will say MPP’s customer service is outstanding and really welcoming. They’ve responded to all of my emails very quickly in regards the coilover installation process. I wouldn’t hesitate purchasing more of their products.

I completely agree. I don't even have my coilovers on the car yet, but I'm already so happy with my purchase due to the customer service.

After a wash, pics in a mall parking lot, because it was too dark elsewhere. (Model Y non-Performance in background as comparison)
DSC09770.jpeg
DSC09771.jpeg
DSC09775.jpeg

How did the try to adjust the height with the weight on it? Didn't they have to take off the wheel? Id expect the springs to settle a bit and go lower so would they just have to reinstall the rears again just to get it back to your spec height?

Depending on what ride height setting you're at already, you can spin the rear perch when there is no weight on the rear suspension (with the wheel removed in the air). It is a heck of a lot easier to just undo the 2 bolts for the spring arm and damper though, then remove and spin the adjuster by hand.

We know it is a bit tricky to adjust the rear, so that's why we put so much effort into helping people with ride height settings before even installing. I have spent enough hours adjusting new coilovers with no instructions to know how much mechanics will appreciate it!

Thanks so much for your feedback so far! Without encouraging anything illegal, the dampers definitely get better and better the faster you go :D

Just got them installed today with rear camber arms. Pulled over near the shop to snap a photo before it got dark.

- Lowered 1" from MYP height
- medium/soft setting

Initial thoughts on the 20 mile drive home: It feels more planted and tight. The most immediate noticeable improvement is the absorption of imperfections in the road. It was borderline jarring in with the stock suspension. Unfortunately I sat through traffic half of the drive, but it sounds like it's going to excel at higher speeds.

+1 to MPP customer service. It's one of the main reasons I cancelled my UP Luxury Coilovers order.

IMG_6012.JPG

Got car back today from shop; using these settings (numbers based on MPP Coilover Installation Instructions | Mountain Pass Performance , using exactly middle height values for initial setup (1 inch drop) and maximum heights (slightly under stock); so roughly 0.5 inches drop):

Front spring perch offset:
67mm (approx. 2.638 inches)

Rear spring perch offset:
28mm (approx. 1.102 inches)

Ride height (Hub to Fender)
410.5mm (approx. 16.161 inches)

approx. height change from OEM:
-0.5 inches

Thanks to localTire pressure was increased (to 43, from 41) so it's a bit more firm; with that said, the ride at low speeds is noticeably better than stock, by about 15%. Driving slowly through rutted parking lot did not feel like the "oh no why is this car so bumpy?" feel I got when driving the MY P on delivery day from the Tesla lot. It finally feels right. As Model 3 owners have mentioned, it feels like some roads ruts and imperfections just blend out and disappear. At higher speeds, the improvement in ride is very notable, dare I say 40% better at speeds.. ahem above the speed limit? Using MPP's initial settings, I would not call the ride luxurious; I'd describe it premium sporty. With the damper settings turned nearer to full-soft, I'm sure it will feel very comfortable, but I really like the way it feels right now.

I'll do a good grocery run later today to get a better feel. I'll also try to post a comparison video (I recorded rides with stock suspension last week) which would be a better study than my words. Off to clean the car..

View attachment 635391 View attachment 635383 View attachment 635384
Got car back today from shop; using these settings (numbers based on MPP Coilover Installation Instructions | Mountain Pass Performance , using exactly middle height values for initial setup (1 inch drop) and maximum heights (slightly under stock); so roughly 0.5 inches drop):

-0.5 inches

Thanks to local weather, car came back dirty so I'll do a rinse-less wash before posting more photos.

I'm very happy with the height, especially that the round fenders / tires still flow well together as it did with stock height (dropping too much ruins the symmetry IMO). Also I would not want to change the height as it would throw off many settings performed by the shop including corner balancing accounting for individual weights of my family. Shop did its best to align it (see attached alignment sheet; the "before" numbers are very bad as all the suspension bits were swapped) but I'll need to come back after 1000 miles for them to fine-tune it after the new suspension settles (they'll do this for free).

BTW @MountainPass and @Barrygold the shop said the rear height adjustment seemed impossible when installed and the weight of the car was on it; something that surprised him likely due to mass of rear springs and weight, and was notably different than installing many MPP coilovers on the Model 3. He had to take it off from the car to make adjustments to the rear heights.

Just the drive back from the shop (15 miles away, mostly highway) gave a good feel for the new coilovers vs. stock.

Tire pressure was increased (to 43, from 41) so it's a bit more firm; with that said, the ride at low speeds is noticeably better than stock, by about 15%. Driving slowly through rutted parking lot did not feel like the "oh no why is this car so bumpy?" feel I got when driving the MY P on delivery day from the Tesla lot. It finally feels right. As Model 3 owners have mentioned, it feels like some roads ruts and imperfections just blend out and disappear. At higher speeds, the improvement in ride is very notable, dare I say 40% better at speeds.. ahem above the speed limit? Using MPP's initial settings, I would not call the ride luxurious; I'd describe it premium sporty. With the damper settings turned nearer to full-soft, I'm sure it will feel very comfortable, but I really like the way it feels right now.

I'll do a good grocery run later today to get a better feel. I'll also try to post a comparison video (I recorded rides with stock suspension last week) which would be a better study than my words. Off to clean the car..

-0.5 inches

Thanks to local weather, car came back dirty so I'll do a rinse-less wash before posting more photos.

I'm very happy with the height, especially that the round fenders / tires still flow well together as it did with stock height (dropping too much ruins the symmetry IMO). Also I would not want to change the height as it would throw off many settings performed by the shop including corner balancing accounting for individual weights of my family. Shop did its best to align it (see attached alignment sheet; the "before" numbers are very bad as all the suspension bits were swapped) but I'll need to come back after 1000 miles for them to fine-tune it after the new suspension settles (they'll do this for free).

BTW @MountainPass and @Barrygold the shop said the rear height adjustment seemed impossible when installed and the weight of the car was on it; something that surprised him likely due to mass of rear springs and weight, and was notably different than installing many MPP coilovers on the Model 3. He had to take it off from the car to make adjustments to the rear heights.

Just the drive back from the shop (15 miles away, mostly highway) gave a good feel for the new coilovers vs. stock.

Tire pressure was increased (to 43, from 41) so it's a bit more firm; with that said, the ride at low speeds is noticeably better than stock, by about 15%. Driving slowly through rutted parking lot did not feel like the "oh no why is this car so bumpy?" feel I got when driving the MY P on delivery day from the Tesla lot. It finally feels right. As Model 3 owners have mentioned, it feels like some roads ruts and imperfections just blend out and disappear. At higher speeds, the improvement in ride is very notable, dare I say 40% better at speeds.. ahem above the speed limit? Using MPP's initial settings, I would not call the ride luxurious; I'd describe it premium sporty. With the damper settings turned nearer to full-soft, I'm sure it will feel very comfortable, but I really like the way it feels right now.

Gundarx-
Thank you for sharing your experience. Like many of us, we are really trying to get a feel for how this actually affects the car and the handling and so forth. My main concern is comfort: my long range Awd is amazing except for the harsh suspension and the incredible amount of noise on rough roads.
You didn’t address noise specifically but do the coil overs smooth out the road in a way that has a positive affect on the amount of noise coming through the rear on a rough road? This is really the one thing about the car that drives me nuts. Otherwise I love just about everything about it and would love to hopefully fix this. I did change the tires to the vredestein Quattrac pros, and that has made a minor difference.
Anyway, looking forward to more of your feedback hopefully another’s as they get these installed. Thank you for sharing.

Just got them installed today with rear camber arms. Pulled over near the shop to snap a photo before it got dark.

- Lowered 1" from MYP height
- medium/soft setting

Initial thoughts on the 20 mile drive home: It feels more planted and tight. The most immediate noticeable improvement is the absorption of imperfections in the road. It was borderline jarring in with the stock suspension. Unfortunately I sat through traffic half of the drive, but it sounds like it's going to excel at higher speeds.

+1 to MPP customer service. It's one of the main reasons I cancelled my UP Luxury Coilovers order.

View attachment 635724

Thank you for the feedback! As I just asked another poster, When you talk about smoothing out road imperfections is that also having an impact on the noise level? My car is relatively quiet on smooth roads but an incredible amount of road noise comes through in the back especially when going over bumps, the harsher The road or the larger the bump the more noise comes in. Just wondering if these help that. Thanks for sharing.

adjusted the damper settings today, some photos and my experience to share:

rebound front passenger side:
under frunk cover (and removing the factory rubber seal with a plier); after removing the rubber seal, you can make a small hole in the middle so it can be reinserted and still use the adjustment tool
DSC09784.jpeg

rebound front driver side:
tight squeeze under windshield washer filler, good to remove clip to get more leverage, be careful not to drop the adjustment tool
DSC09782.jpeg
DSC09783.jpeg

front compression adjustment, turn steering wheel fully to access one side at a time; done by lying on your back on floor and reaching in with hand!
DSC09791.jpeg

rear rebound setting peeks through, unfortunately it's a very tight squeeze for my arm and not possible to reach without incurring injury
DSC09793.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Ruffles and richoki
don't do what I did and raise car, remove wheel just to access the adjusters.. unless you want to admire the parts!

rebound accessible on top
DSC09794.jpeg

compression adjustment on bottom (these become hard to turn past number 10 from full stiff)
DSC09795.jpeg

MPP eye candy
DSC09797.jpeg
DSC09798.jpeg

so don't do the above- it turns out all you need to do is raise the car on the jack mount close to the rear wheel you need to adjust, and without removing the wheel, both the rebound and compression settings can be easily accessed by hand
DSC09801.jpeg
DSC09805.jpeg

Gundarx-
Thank you for sharing your experience. Like many of us, we are really trying to get a feel for how this actually affects the car and the handling and so forth. My main concern is comfort: my long range Awd is amazing except for the harsh suspension and the incredible amount of noise on rough roads.
You didn’t address noise specifically but do the coil overs smooth out the road in a way that has a positive affect on the amount of noise coming through the rear on a rough road? This is really the one thing about the car that drives me nuts. Otherwise I love just about everything about it and would love to hopefully fix this. I did change the tires to the vredestein Quattrac pros, and that has made a minor difference.
Anyway, looking forward to more of your feedback hopefully another’s as they get these installed. Thank you for sharing.

@Vivelemond, the MPP coilovers really transform the car; though if you're aiming for comfort, it's not there at the initial settings provided (at least while the suspension is new and not broken in yet).. initial setting is setup for very sporty handling that will make you enjoy pushing the car faster than ever on the road.. I think that explains why I was driving at fever pitch last night.

My 7 yr old son who's a backseat driver (and probably a future racer), and likes to read comics and books on his booster seat commented that on those initial settings at freeway speeds, it was "59% bumpy", but the original suspension was "200% bumpy"; so that was quite an improvement but he wanted it knocked down even more for his comfort. Today I adjusted all the dampers and now believe my MY P on 21" is more comfortable than my Model 3 on 19" wheels. (He graded it today 40% bumpy and called it "fine" finally). Using these settings:

front 13/16 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
rear 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)

for reference these are MPP initial settings:
front 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
rear 10/8 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)

It can still be set to go much softer, but I really don't want to go softer, in fact I may dial them to be slightly stiffer (closer to MPP initial settings) all around as I really enjoy sporty handling; just need to strike a balance with back-seat comfort and my desire for handling and responsiveness.

Oh I should mention that the MPP initial settings were actually quite comfortable when the car was loaded with cargo, as it was when driving home from the shop with my stock suspension parts in the back. That drive threw off my initial assessment on comfort (it was still a bit bumpy without the heavy load). I got to load it up with heavier groceries in the evening and it was very smooth.

The MPP coilovers make their benefits with comfort very clear at higher speeds, but if you hit a pothole at slow speeds, it won't erase it but will dampen it as if you went down 1-2" of wheel size and gained more tire sidewall. As far as noise and NVH, and as I've been driving since yesterday with no music to observe this, happy to report that as MPP claims, it delivers on being silent and does not add additional NVH. On the damper settings I had it on today, the amount of noise and vibrations in the car from road surfaces and bumps has dramatically decreased; you'll still hear tire noise of course but the resonance transmitted to the cabin from the vibration is mostly gone; while going slow and hitting those potholes you'll still hear them though, but much more mild, and I did notice my rear hatch appears to not be fully tight as I heard it (have not noticed it much before, maybe due to rest of cabin noise from stock suspension drowning it out)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the great feedback so far, we're ecstatic that you're loving your coilovers!

The noise from the back of the Y is certainly a challenge. This comes mostly from the fact that the rear is entirely open and the top of the rear damper is hardly isolated from the inside of the cabin - and then the transmitted sound is amplified off of the curved roof glass! Tesla couldn't have designed it better to send rear suspension noise to the front passengers. Slightly softer and higher quality dampers are an incremental improvement, but the real solution would be some kind of mass addition like a cargo cover made of MDF and carpet for example, along with a filler plate to fill the gap between the sides of the rear seats and the trim. Maybe someone in the community could look into this, perhaps with a pivot that opens when the hatch is opened.

When the music is turned up loud I always feel the Y rides so much better compared to when the sound is off. That noise really does make it seem harsh. Funny how the brain works :)

We always struggle with what to name these suspension products, so I wanted to chime in to make sure we're setting the right expectations for everyone. Often when you lower a vehicle the ride is on the harsh side or worse than OEM. This is pretty typical of lowering springs and many aftermarket coilovers. So we've named our suspension "Comfort Adjustable" because we've tuned them to be on the comfort side of an aftermarket suspension kit, and more compliant than OEM - but keep in mind this is still a kit designed for people that enjoy a direct, sporty feel. They are not designed for and do not offer a "Cadillac" ride! In fact, at the firm end of the adjustment range they are very direct and perfect for aggressive canyon carving.

As more Y kits are delivered it will be easier for those of you that aren't sure to reach out to someone in your local Tesla community with MPP coilovers, and go for a ride (after asking what the dampers are set to and making sure the wheel/tire size is representative because the adjustment range is huge and tire/wheel size makes a massive difference!).

That's really the best way because putting into words how a car rides is basically impossible! Although @gundarx's son seems to have done a pretty good job :)

And with that, we are now off to a snow-covered racetrack with our Model Y and Model 3 to have some fun and do some development work! I love my job. Thanks to all of you for making it possible for us!

- Sasha

I feel that my Model 3 has bumpy suspension and has loud cabin at highway speeds, but an amazing car otherwise. I want Model Y but I'm not upgrading to Model Y because it seems to have the same 2 problems as my Model 3.
I think you can all ignore words like "comfort" or "luxury" on coilover products for Model 3 or Y. While these coilovers deliver a great experience on the track and twisty roads and add tight, firm, planted feel, eliminate body roll, and have great customer service, I don't think you are going to find "comfort" or "luxury" from Model 3 or Y, no matter what you do. Even with the lightest 18-inch wheels and quiet tires at 38psi with best coilovers tuned to full comfort mode.
My advice is 1) Wait for new Model Y from Austin with front and rear body castings and much lighter weight from 4680 battery cells integrated into body structure, or 2) Test drive 2020 Model S or X with Raven adaptive suspension.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I feel that my Model 3 has bumpy suspension and has loud cabin at highway speeds, but an amazing car otherwise. I want Model Y but I'm not upgrading to Model Y because it seems to have the same 2 problems as my Model 3.
I think you can all ignore words like "comfort" or "luxury" on coilover products for Model 3 or Y. While these coilovers deliver a great experience on the track and twisty roads and add tight, firm, planted feel, eliminate body roll, and have great customer service, I don't think you are going to find "comfort" or "luxury" from Model 3 or Y, no matter what you do. Even with the lightest 18-inch wheels and quiet tires at 38psi with best coilovers tuned to full comfort mode.
My advice is 1) Wait for new Model Y from Austin with front and rear body castings and much lighter weight from 4680 battery cells integrated into body structure, or 2) Test drive 2020 Model S or X with Raven adaptive suspension.

well...a little too late to wait for me. And I'm happy I have the car, as I needed a car at this time and wasn't going to buy another gas guzzler regardless.
So the question is whether the incremental improvement of coilovers is worth it. My impression is they probably will help a bit, but not as much as I'd hope, and MPP seems to echo that sentiment. Keep in mind I don't care at all about "performance," only comfort and noise. The car is more than fast enough and handles way better than I'll ever need it to. Otoh, Gundarx's feedback is quite encouraging, and I really wish I could try them out for myself before making a purchase decision.
I'll probably try them, as I really love the car except for this one issue and would like to keep it a long time.
Thank you Gundarx and MPP for your feedback!

well...a little too late to wait for me. And I'm happy I have the car, as I needed a car at this time and wasn't going to buy another gas guzzler regardless.
So the question is whether the incremental improvement of coilovers is worth it. My impression is they probably will help a bit, but not as much as I'd hope, and MPP seems to echo that sentiment. Keep in mind I don't care at all about "performance," only comfort and noise. The car is more than fast enough and handles way better than I'll ever need it to. Otoh, Gundarx's feedback is quite encouraging, and I really wish I could try them out for myself before making a purchase decision.
I'll probably try them, as I really love the car except for this one issue and would like to keep it a long time.
Thank you Gundarx and MPP for your feedback!

I'm having the MPP comfort coilovers installed next week and I've pre-adjusted the settings to what MPP has recommended for a "luxury" feel. These are not the settings that they recommend for an initial setup. I live in Moraga and I'll let you know how it feels on the crappy roads in Tilden.

I'm having the MPP comfort coilovers installed next week and I've pre-adjusted the settings to what MPP has recommended for a "luxury" feel. These are not the settings that they recommend for an initial setup. I live in Moraga and I'll let you know how it feels on the crappy roads in Tilden.

@Robocheme can you post the compression / rebound adjustment numbers? I’ll likely tinker with my settings next week and will reference this.