Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the MPP comfort coilovers installed next week and I've pre-adjusted the settings to what MPP has recommended for a "luxury" feel. These are not the settings that they recommend for an initial setup. I live in Moraga and I'll let you know how it feels on the crappy roads in Tilden.

Awesome! When i first drove a MS, it was on Wildcat road in Tilden - I was blown away. Little did I know, but the air suspension and so on in the MS was NOT going to relate to my MY. Let's talk when you get the MPP coilovers installed - we can relate to the same roads here in the East Bay. Thanks for your feedback!

@Robocheme can you post the compression / rebound adjustment numbers? I’ll likely tinker with my settings next week and will reference this.

14 clicks from full stiff for both compression/rebound and front and back. I.e., for all eight adjustments.

I'd like to hear how feasible it is to make the adjustments (especially the top) after the coilovers are installed WITHOUT removing the wheels.

14 clicks from full stiff for both compression/rebound and front and back. I.e., for all eight adjustments.

I'd like to hear how feasible it is to make the adjustments (especially the top) after the coilovers are installed WITHOUT removing the wheels.

Thanks! I will give those 14/14 settings a try. See my post a few messages back with photos; the rear wheels rebound settings at the top are difficult or not possible to reach unless you are maintaining stock MY P or higher height. I had to raise each corner by hydraulic jack (and jack pads) to reach that adjustment.

Thanks! I will give those 14/14 settings a try. See my post a few messages back with photos; the rear wheels rebound settings at the top are difficult or not possible to reach unless you are maintaining stock MY P or higher height. I had to raise each corner by hydraulic jack (and jack pads) to reach that adjustment.

Thanks, So, I think that you're telling me if I keep the same height as stock in my non-performance Y, there's a chance I can adjust it by reaching up from the bottom?

Thanks, So, I think that you're telling me if I keep the same height as stock in my non-performance Y, there's a chance I can adjust it by reaching up from the bottom?

I think so. You should have enough fender gap clearance to reach that rear rebound setting. And the bottom compression one will be hard to see but you can mostly feel the turns as you adjust; might be able to peek through your wheel spokes to see the number and to confirm which direction the - and + sides are, which are flipped from the rebound - and + signs orientation.

btw, I just applied the 14/14 settings throughout, I do things a bit slowly and carefully and did it in about 40 minutes including slightly jacking up each rear side.

Had a hiccup with my installer but they reached out to Jesse and he was able to help quickly and happily. Thank you for the great product and even better customer service.
Back could go a finger lower but overall I am happy with the stance. Response from driving is very responsive.

Attachments

• 20210213_095953.jpg
    20210213_095953.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 280

made a video with before/after and a drive with audio recording for those that are concerned with comfort and NVH..

I had more before/after recordings but they proved not very useful for comparison

recordings of MPP coilovers were made when I had the settings at:

front 13/16 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
rear 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)

it should be even better with current 14/14 comfort settings.

I finished the install of the coilovers and rear camber/toe arms on my PUP today.

Cliff notes:
Get the coilovers if they’re in your budget and you want to enjoy driving your car.
Soaking up Bumps, road joints, pot holes all improved

I can gladly report in a short 5 mile drive on a route that I take the daily the ride has greatly improved. The bumps and road joints are no longer harsh. I think this suspension will make you love your model Y more.

It was not spirited drive so I can’t speak to the handling but I imagine it’s improved as well.

if you’re looking to improve the annoying bumps than this is your answer.

MPP’s customer service is awesome.

Thanks to @gundarx for the suspension settings. I followed his advice and went with half inch lower than PUP stock height.

@MountainPass I know it's an apples to oranges comparison but any rough idea what would be comparable bump/rebound settings to your model 3 comfort non-adjustable coils?

We tried to keep the adjustment range similar - full soft being on the limit of being too soft for the springs, and full stiff being sporty enough to please anyone looking to carve canyons or even do a lapping day.

I should note that going to the soft end of the spectrum will feel better at low speed, but on the highway or anything over ~40mph when there are larger energy road inputs to deal with - like large expansion joints, the platform will move more than you would want. So you can actually go "too soft" and lose comfort in that regard.

-Sasha

Reactions: DennyL and gundarx
I measured new fender to hub height at 412mm. Should be 410mm but I’m sure I could be off.

Top pic is half inch lower. Bottom is stock PUP
height, I can’t really tell the difference in the pics but it rides better so that’s a win.
49B7BB2A-0FE7-426A-872B-FB8A72104159.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: richoki
for reference- the fender gap from the app :)
IMG_3633.jpeg

I realize I had not been taking enough photos of this car but here's a good comparison, stock (with Michelin PS AS4 tires), then recently after MPP coilovers, same specified perch settings as you @Barrygold, but during alignment/corner balancing shop may have adjusted it a bit:
IMG_4158.jpeg

DSC09813.jpg

update: hub to fender appears to be 405mm both sides

Last edited:
Just drove for 30 miles on the soft recommended settings (14/14 turns from full stiff, front and rear) and have to say, these ride better than a heavy car with 21" 35-profile tires has any right to be.

Using the "bumpy" scale of my 7 yr old son who rides on booster seat in the back, his numbers (I'm sure these numbers are very subjective ;)):

1) stock MY P, 42 psi air pressure: 200%
2) after change to Michelin PS A/S 4 tires, 41 psi: 100%
3) after MPP coilovers - initial settings: 59%
4) my last intermediate-soft settings
front 13/16 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
rear 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
- 40% "fine"
5) soft settings 14/14
- 6% (quite an improvement)

Unfortunately for him, I do miss the sporty handling (especially on the 21" wheels and Pilot Sport tires), and #4 and #5 are too soft for my preference; I feel my driving confidence on the freeway took a hit (having had my Mazda RX-8, I have a strong bias towards "horse and rider, as one" driving feel) with steering input delayed from the car's motions in my mind. I will tweak the settings further towards initial settings.

For owners that drive a relaxed pace and value comfort over anything else or have to deal with bad roads, and feel strongly that the bad suspension is ruining the Model Y for them, give the 14/14 settings a try. You'll love it.

So after about 100+ miles I can say with certainty: the driving experience is completely transformed. As mentioned in my previous post, one of the first things I noticed was the absorption of road imperfections. While that is still a huge enjoyable improvement, I'm now enamored by the confidence in handling. I find myself pushing the Y more than I ever did on the MYP springs.

Currently it's set to the MPP recommended settings (which is 75% towards the soft end). This setting and the ride height (-1" from MYP height) is perfect for my driving style and family needs.

IMG_6286.JPG
IMG_6289.JPG

So after about 100+ miles I can say with certainty: the driving experience is completely transformed. As mentioned in my previous post, one of the first things I noticed was the absorption of road imperfections. While that is still a huge enjoyable improvement, I'm now enamored by the confidence in handling. I find myself pushing the Y more than I ever did on the MYP springs.

Currently it's set to the MPP recommended settings (which is 75% towards the soft end). This setting and the ride height (-1" from MYP height) is perfect for my driving style and family needs.

View attachment 637333 View attachment 637334
Looks really good!

Reactions: richoki