Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long after install are you guys waiting to get alignment? Also, with adjusting ride height after said alignment, how much range of up/down can you do without having to realign? Would tire wear be negligible with +/- 1/2” up/down? I have a LR AWD and would be setting it up at the Performance ride height, maybe 1/2” lower. Thanks

First alignment for me will be 100 mi post install.

I’m getting an alignment every time I adjust 1/2” inch, which will be when I swap summer/winter tires.

I have $150/ 3 year unlimited alignment package.

Oh my, I need to change pants now!

Me too... only brief test fit though haha
IMG_2667.jpg

Mind sharing the specs on your CE28s on the MY?
That's so dope. I like it!!!! Spark ev is dirt cheap now, good get around town grocery getter.
Spec are quoted above. I wish I was able to get a more consistent set up like 10s all around, but it was hard to find so I took what I could get.

Reactions: MODEL+
I think I’ve found my ideal settings for myself and my family- 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff) all-around.

The front settings are identical to MPP's initial settings, and the back set to be more comfortable for rear passengers, especially on the 21" wheels. I think for those that do not have rear-seat passengers regularly in their Model Y, using MPP's initial settings which have firmer rear settings would perform the best and make the car sportier. If your rear passengers and cargo happen to be heavy, which would lead to less rear suspension movement and bounce, that could work too. The firmer rear settings of 10/8 (vs 12/12) seems to let the car:
- roll/rock less side-to-side (immediately apparent when sitting down and closing driver's door where the cabin resists shaking)
- be fully-planted on hard-acceleration below 40mph where the car produces max power and resists front lift / rear squat
- more solid hard-braking and direct brake pedal feel likely due to less dive
at 12/12 rear, it doesn't fully do the above, but is a good balance for rear passenger comfort.

With Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 at 41psi (42psi produces a big increase in resonant tire noise on the freeway in this car) and these settings, the car always feels balanced, sure-footed and has a great ride for everyone. It's agile at low speeds, stop-and-go hard acceleration and maneuvering in the street feels perfect, and glides at highway speeds with confident stability, great lane-changing and on sweeping bends; autopilot steering feel is also great.

Driving the car now makes me forget it's a heavy (compact) SUV.. it drives like a well set-up sports sedan or the perfect sporty SUV

ABBC4B08-FB80-4A32-8D7A-16008294E8AD.jpeg

I think I’ve found my ideal settings for myself and my family- 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff) all-around.

The front settings are identical to MPP's initial settings, and the back set to be more comfortable for rear passengers, especially on the 21" wheels. I think for those that do not have rear-seat passengers regularly in their Model Y, using MPP's initial settings which have firmer rear settings would perform the best and make the car sportier. If your rear passengers and cargo happen to be heavy, which would lead to less rear suspension movement and bounce, that could work too. The firmer rear settings of 10/8 (vs 12/12) seems to let the car:
- roll/rock less side-to-side (immediately apparent when sitting down and closing driver's door where the cabin resists shaking)
- be fully-planted on hard-acceleration below 40mph where the car produces max power and resists front lift / rear squat
- more solid hard-braking and direct brake pedal feel likely due to less dive
at 12/12 rear, it doesn't fully do the above, but is a good balance for rear passenger comfort.

With Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 at 41psi (42psi produces a big increase in resonant tire noise on the freeway in this car) and these settings, the car always feels balanced, sure-footed and has a great ride for everyone. It's agile at low speeds, stop-and-go hard acceleration and maneuvering in the street feels perfect, and glides at highway speeds with confident stability, great lane-changing and on sweeping bends; autopilot steering feel is also great.

Driving the car now makes me forget it's a heavy (compact) SUV.. it drives like a well set-up sports sedan or the perfect sporty SUV

View attachment 638709
I echo all of the above. I’m also at 12/12 all around with 2 car seats in the back. I’m on 19s though, but I think the back seat passengers appreciate it.

I just dropped my car off at NorCal Chassis Works in Fairfield, CA. In case anyone is in the East Bay Area, California, this place is great so far. Jesse is really nice and customer service is fantastic. I'll be picking up the car at the end of the day.

Best part is, there's a resident labrador retriever dog that greeted me when I arrived. I love dogs, so this was a huge plus.

I'm having them maintain stock ride height and do 12/12 and 10/8 (the original settings) to start. These are the factory settings and listening to what people have said, the car performs really well on those settings. I just want to see how much more comfortable they are at the factory settings first. Jesse said he would do a follow up alignment for free after 100-200 miles, in which I'll ask him to make any next adjustments (I might go 12/12 all around or 14/14 depending).

Thanks @Robocheme for the recommendation to go with Norcal Chassis. I'll have updates tonight!

I echo all of the above. I’m also at 12/12 all around with 2 car seats in the back. I’m on 19s though, but I think the back seat passengers appreciate it.

Would you guys recommend me going 12/12 all around instead of 10/8 in the rear if I always drive with an 80lbs dog in the cargo?

I almost never have passengers, especially during covid, but I always have the dog in the cargo. She lays on a pretty thick SUV cargo bed, but giving her more comfort is probably best.

Would you guys recommend me going 12/12 all around instead of 10/8 in the rear if I always drive with an 80lbs dog in the cargo?

I almost never have passengers, especially during covid, but I always have the dog in the cargo. She lays on a pretty thick SUV cargo bed, but giving her more comfort is probably best.

10/8 in back should still be more comfortable than factory performance suspension.. just was not at the comfort improvement I was marketing to my son.. easy enough and quick to change the rear settings if you can raise the car on jacks

I have the front MPP coilovers installed on my Y performance. I’m riding on 19in winter tires too, so going for a nice improvement over the 21 ride quality. Hopefully I’ll finish the rears soon. Unfortunately work is getting in the way of my progress. I probably won’t finish installation until Thursday. View attachment 635237

Definitely following your work to see how they do. I also have the MYP and put 19" on it as the ride is too rough. If it improves it enough, it might be worth the money. I also bought the Mountain Pass lift kit too, but have been holding off doing the install in hopes of a more affordable spring/shock replacement, so I can do the mods all at once. Installation seems pretty straight forward, any issues?

Reactions: Stach