Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ORDER PLACED!
Yahoo! I can't wait - well, actually I can, and have to. It's going to take 7-9 weeks apparently, but hopefully quicker.
I don't know how many more bumps on freeway joints I can take...
Bay Area people - I'll be reading your comments carefully about which shop to go to and maybe reaching out to you. It seems very important to get this right. Our Berkeley shop, Griffin Moterwerks, wanted a full 8 hrs to do it at a very high rate, didn't seem right (they may be great, no criticism implied, just would love to cut that down and go with a shop with MY experience).

ORDER PLACED!
Yahoo! I can't wait - well, actually I can, and have to. It's going to take 7-9 weeks apparently, but hopefully quicker.
I don't know how many more bumps on freeway joints I can take...
Bay Area people - I'll be reading your comments carefully about which shop to go to and maybe reaching out to you. It seems very important to get this right. Our Berkeley shop, Griffin Moterwerks, wanted a full 8 hrs to do it at a very high rate, didn't seem right (they may be great, no criticism implied, just would love to cut that down and go with a shop with MY experience).

This made me feel really good about my decision to purchase these. My main incentive to go electric was that I love to ski, and where I live it's a 3-4 hour drive to the slopes, and the carbon pollution from driving up was making me sick to my stomach. It feels so good to drive up with my battery charged from our solar panels and 100% renewable electric utility here, and then to charge for free up at the mountain. I'm glad MPP shares my/our values on this. Of course, having a fantastic car is icing on the cake.

Dear MPP friends,

We made it through 2020! It has been quite a year. Unlike any we’ve seen for a generation or more. We’ve been hit over and over again, first with raging forest fires in Australia and California, followed up by so many hurricanes that forecasters had to use the Greek alphabet to name them. And of course, this pandemic has changed all of our lives, none for the better.

With that in mind, it feels a bit vain for me to write this year-end post and highlight all of the car-related things we’ve done this year. While we’re proud of a lot of the things we’ve achieved in 2020 I think it’s important for all of us to just appreciate the fact that this horrible year is over and reflect on what we can perhaps do better in the future.

Some draw a number of parallels from the virus to climate change, mostly with regards to looking at the human response and preparation to these kinds of threats. I think that is very valid because it’s a perfect example of how it is in our nature to enjoy the good times, focus on the short term, and ignore distant future threats. That is literally how the human species has evolved – we have to worry about surviving today before we can focus on tomorrow. But we do need to collectively break away from that inability to focus on long term prosperity.

If you’re reading this post you likely own a Tesla already, so chances are you’re fairly comfortable. Investing a little bit more towards the future will pay dividends and our children and grandchildren will surely appreciate that they have a more comfortable planet to live on.

So 2020 has been a stark reminder to myself personally to not get complacent, and to fight for the things that are really important. Because the reality is there are a lot of people that are still just struggling to get through each day – those people are most certainly not worrying about the long term effects of possible pandemics or climate change. So I feel that it’s easier for those of us that are in a fortunate position to do more, and so important because there are so many that can’t.

Driving an electric car is a great first step. It has a strong impact on its own, but it’s also something that is seen by everyone you know. It’s a statement on wheels. It sparks a conversation that can lead towards inspiring others to learn about and take action on the direction we’re headed.

Hopefully, each of us can take more steps in 2021. Donate to a charity that is fighting for climate change. Install solar on your roof. Shift your investments into clean energy. Publically make your voice heard! A little uncomfortable discussion now will be far less painful than inaction.

The beautiful thing is that we actually, for the first time since Climate Change has become a notable issue, have the real solutions to this problem. We have affordable clean energy. It actually makes economic sense to go in this direction. So now it’s just about making the change happen. And the more we push and show people that this isn’t something to be scared of, the faster this needed change will happen. Since we’re running against the clock, speed is good. How soon we make this happen does matter.

I’ll just post some pictures below of our MPP highlights for the year, there are plenty of articles on the site where you can read more about each individual picture if you’d like.

From all of us at MPP thank you so much for your support. We’ve been very fortunate this year and we aren’t forgetting how lucky we are. Thank you so much for being incredible customers and friends. We hope you and your families all made it through 2020 ok and that the future is bright for you.

Got my coils installed today! Dropped to 385mm in front and 390 in the rear hub to fender. Also used recommended settings 12/12 in front, 10/8 in the rear. My initial impressions pretty much mirror what everyone has said already. Here are some before and after pics
20210303_073634.jpg
20210304_141117.jpg

Got my coils installed today! Dropped to 385mm in front and 390 in the rear hub to fender. Also used recommended settings 12/12 in front, 10/8 in the rear. My initial impressions pretty much mirror what everyone has said already. Here are some before and after picsView attachment 642234 View attachment 642235

Looks great! I think I’ve seen you around the neighborhood :). I’m the other guy with the other blue MYP :D

Reactions: DennyL
Got my coils installed today! Dropped to 385mm in front and 390 in the rear hub to fender. Also used recommended settings 12/12 in front, 10/8 in the rear. My initial impressions pretty much mirror what everyone has said already. Here are some before and after picsView attachment 642234 View attachment 642235

Nice! Convincing me to add a little drop to mine as well. the Uberturbines have really grown on me.

I know you said it mirrors what everyone else has said, but always nice to hear your perspective on before/after.

So my take on the coilovers...

I bought mpp comfort non-adjustable coils for my LR RWD TM3. Awesome experience with the coils/company so kind of a no brainer to get the better stuff for my MYP. I purchased the coils even before receiving or even test driving the model y. When I got the MYP I found it firm but I'm also pretty used to driving more performance oriented cars. I had originally found stock tm3 suspension to be soft. The problem that both these cars have is that there's a bit of an undulating feeling over longer bumps which make it feel floaty/boaty. It got so bad that my wife would get headaches and some nausea. She actually has a better tolerance for stiff suspension than I do. My biggest problem with the MYP was that it was very jarring over large bumps. After coils install, basically everything got better with the biggest benefit being that the suspension settles much faster after suspension disturbances and of course the looks. Wife is happy.

I took a 700 mi road trip this week on the MPP coilovers. Mostly highway driving with 10% on some winding hills. The freeway driving was dramatically improved along with the handling on the secondary roads.

The suspension continues to impress me. I think I have 1500 mi on it so far, it’s fantastic.

I know it's hard to quantify suspension comfort, but is there a car you've driven in the past that compares to how the Y feels now with the coilovers vs without?

I'm not racing or anything, but I'm thinking about the MPP adjustable coilovers, lowering a bit, and looking forward to better rubber.

This VW Beetle put a really nice move on me a few days ago. I put a 50ft gap on him on a straight away, blinked after going around a turn, and he was right back on my bumper! We entered some sharpish S turns and I was going to clip the apex on the exit, but the Beetle went WAAY inside and blew past me. The road is ~10ft to the left of me in the second pic, BTW. He was fast and his handling was fantastic. I was clearly outmatched and holding him up badly.

VW_Beetle_side_pass.jpg