Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi -

Id love the opinion from some folks who purchased these.
My only goal is to reduce the stiff ride and bumps. No desire to adjust the height of the car.

I’ve lowered tire pressure but would still like to retain 20” tires.

Yes 3k is expensive, but worth it if it helps significantly. Will it? Or is this a dumb idea / overkill.

Asked another way, is everyone buying these for track use and to lower the car or are there people just looking for a smooooth ride? I’d love to hear from y’all :)

Reactions: tlt99
sirpumpkin: I'm with you. I don't want to lower. What I want is that the initial compression be a bit softer, and maybe for the rebound to be a bit firmer. The OEM dampers just don't seem linear to me. It's the initial "slap" over concrete cracks that gets tiresome.

Hi -

Id love the opinion from some folks who purchased these.
My only goal is to reduce the stiff ride and bumps. No desire to adjust the height of the car.

I’ve lowered tire pressure but would still like to retain 20” tires.

Yes 3k is expensive, but worth it if it helps significantly. Will it? Or is this a dumb idea / overkill.

Asked another way, is everyone buying these for track use and to lower the car or are there people just looking for a smooooth ride? I’d love to hear from y’all :)
You will probably have to wait until more shocks are available on the market. Only option today is the coilover kits and you dont have to lower it, but like you said it’s $3k. Buying a $60k car is already expensive and doesn’t come with a luxury ride quality, it’s going to cost $3k more (think of it when upgrading your car at the dealer) if you want to make it a luxury ride. The Model Y has a great ride already but I want my monies worth paying 60k and enjoying it.

Its like buying Lexus RX350 base and putting all the add ons to get the F Sport. That’s how I see it. You can probably finance the $3k through PayPal zero interest or pull a balance transfer card with 3% fee zero interest 1 year or something.
End of the day is it better? Yes. Just like Lexus F Sport is better than the none F Sport. Got to pay up to play. :cool:

Last edited:
You will probably have to wait until more shocks are available on the market. Only option today is the coilover kits and you dont have to lower it, but like you said it’s $3k. Buying a $60k car is already expensive and doesn’t come with a luxury ride quality, it’s going to cost $3k more (think of it when upgrading your car at the dealer) if you want to make it a luxury ride. The Model Y has a great ride already but I want my monies worth paying 60k and enjoying it.

Its like buying Lexus RX350 base and putting all the add ons to get the F Sport. That’s how I see it. You can probably finance the $3k through PayPal zero interest or pull a balance transfer card with 3% fee zero interest 1 year or something.
End of the day is it better? Yes. Just like Lexus F Sport is better than the none F Sport. Got to pay up to play. :cool:
So you're saying it's going to drive like a Lexus RX350? Perfect.

Also a follow up, lowered 1 inch from MYLR or MYP? It would be nice to know what trim.

I have MYLR and planning to start with MPP initial setting, which I believe is 1 inch lower for MYLR.

I believe he has a MYP. Either way, the best way to measure suspension should be hub to fender distance since that eliminates differences in aftermarket tire sizes and variance in Tesla suspension revisions.

Reactions: cYnbios
Actually I may have been wrong to assume MPP initial height setting is 1 inch lower for MYLR. I just measured my hub to fender on stock MYLR and it's around 435mm. Sorry I don't have a metric ruler to be precise. With MPP's initial setting at 395mm, that's 40mm difference which is close to 1.5 inch drop. I think I am fine with that drop to be honest on the MYLR

Reactions: DennyL
Also a follow up, lowered 1 inch from MYLR or MYP? It would be nice to know what trim.

I have MYLR and planning to start with MPP initial setting, which I believe is 1 inch lower for MYLR.
I confirmed this evening that all fender to hub measurements are 395mm.

Rear perch is set at 16mm and front perch 35mm. Not a typo. I had to dial in the fronts and lower them more to obtain the 395mm fender to hub distance.

performance Y on 20inch aftermarket wheels / OEM tire size.

best to measure when you’re done

Last edited:
Reactions: Wreckz
I confirmed this evening that all fender to hub measurements are 395mm.
Rear perch is set at 16mm and front perch 35mm. Not a typo. I had to dial in the fronts and lower them more to obtain the 395mm fender to hub distance.

performance Y on 20inch aftermarket wheels / OEM tire size.
Wow thanks for that info. I’ll see if I run into this same hub to fender differences when I get these installed.

I’m wondering why MPP’s initial recommended setting is 55mm front perch with that 395mm hub to fender measurement.

Actually I may have been wrong to assume MPP initial height setting is 1 inch lower for MYLR. I just measured my hub to fender on stock MYLR and it's around 435mm. Sorry I don't have a metric ruler to be precise. With MPP's initial setting at 395mm, that's 40mm difference which is close to 1.5 inch drop. I think I am fine with that drop to be honest on the MYLR

FYI I finally measured MYLR and my numbers are similar to yours.

Front 438
Rear 440

46A40171-2EB8-4481-8260-3FB16D1EAECB.jpeg
79E4018B-4EA3-4213-981D-87A22A9A67D2.jpeg

Height difference between stock PUP in white and 395mm fender to hub on the coilovers
31C7A2F4-EC44-46D5-BE3C-3B72D58A578B.jpeg

Last edited:
I finally got my alignment after a couple weeks after mpp install. Car drives fine but I worry about my rear toe. They didn't have model y specs so they used model 3 but why is the range so huge? I worry a little about premature tire wear.

Attachments

• 20210317_212257.jpg
    20210317_212257.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 107