Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this in the model 3 forum. For anyone who never installed coilovers in general and planning to DYI, this video is a good start.

My question is where did he get the torgue specs? Is there a tesla repair manual pdf we can download :) I remember when I was younger I had a Haynes Repair Manual for my RX7
View attachment 653384

Thanks for finding and reposting my video! I spent a ton of time making it and hope it helps others.
I gathered the torque specs from other instructions that I trust had access to Tesla manuals. Last I checked the model 3 manuals were only available online for a steep price.

Thanks for finding and reposting my video! I spent a ton of time making it and hope it helps others.
I gathered the torque specs from other instructions that I trust had access to Tesla manuals. Last I checked the model 3 manuals were only available online for a steep price.
Forgot to mention that I'm working on a full review video of the suspension and also how to readjust the height and dampers after they're installed.
(Subscribe to be notified)

So I thought, they were actually on their way and they have arrived!
For bay area folks, I have an appointment with Norcal chassis in Fairfield in two weeks and they have been great to deal with. Both owners are easy to talk to, and have offered to meet me after hours to drop off the car and things like that. Their installation price also includes alignment, and an alignment check in 100 miles, for $875. They also are very high on these coil over saying I made a great choice and their experience clients have been extremely happy with the results.
As Jesse at Mountain Pass performance said, you can’t compare handmade German coil overs with the standard Tesla issue stuff.

So I thought, they were actually on their way and they have arrived!
For bay area folks, I have an appointment with Norcal chassis in Fairfield in two weeks and they have been great to deal with. Both owners are easy to talk to, and have offered to meet me after hours to drop off the car and things like that. Their installation price also includes alignment, and an alignment check in 100 miles, for $875. They also are very high on these coil over saying I made a great choice and their experience clients have been extremely happy with the results.
As Jesse at Mountain Pass performance said, you can’t compare handmade German coil overs with the standard Tesla issue stuff.
Awesome! Let us know how it all works out. Mine are in cologne Germany now 🤔

Torque cheat sheet I copied from another youtube video.

1619067608013.png

FYI Tesla front mudflaps and a 1.75" drop (LR) gives you less than an inch of clearance. I'll probably have to get the 3rd party flaps since they aren't as long.

I have the 3rd party mud flaps in the front only (bassor?(sp))? And I’m scrapping over normal speed bumps. Want to pull them off now but my body is telling me not today. I know I will be sore as f tomorrow.

Last edited:
For those with MPP coilovers, how is the ride in the back seat? I don't mind the current ride, but my wife said the backseat ride is really bumpy.
That probably depends on a lot of variables like how much air pressure you've got in your tires, how much sidewall you've got, which Tire you are running, what your overall unsprung weight is and where you have the compression setting on the shocks. So if you got the compression setting ramped up, you've got heavy OEM 20 inch wheels, it could be even worse than stock. Mostly the car rides better as long as you don't set your shocks too hard. The default 12/10 for compression / rebound seems to be a good compromise for most folks. I like my ride a little firmer so I have mine set at 10 / 8 but I know a lot of people who have got 14/12 or something like that. Larger numbers are of course softer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wreckz and gundarx
exactly what @dfwatt described.. you can pretty much dial-in the MPP coilovers to your exact liking (firm -> soft, and anywhere in between) and get the right amount of handling and/or comfort balance.. at about 12/10 rear the passenger ride comfort on the 21" wheels is miles better than stock yet still giving confident road-holding, but set your expectations properly for what any suspension with fixed damper settings can do; you can't expect luxury ride on potholes while still achieving sporty handling; for that you'll need fully-integrated air suspension as on the Taycan (great write-up of your test drive btw @dfwatt ) that adapts to driving conditions and soaks bumps like a Mercedes S-class, and giving you controls of Comfort to Sport+ for the mood you're in for, or maybe the newer Model S.. with that said, I do think the MPP coilovers perform very well. After testing different settings with the MPP coilovers on the MYP, it will likely tempt you to set towards firmer settings than what you planned for pure comfort, otherwise you're left wondering when the steering feels a bit less direct than what you've experienced and would hate to leave that level of performance, unused on the table

Gonna try to tackle installing this myself Monday. Anyone go lower than what MPP recommended? :p

I feel the majority of the folks in this thread has gone lower than recommended. I personally want to go lower, but resisting to do so :) Parked next to a MYP I felt my MYLR was at the same height.

Tomorrow, i'm going to remove 1 front rubber isolator I forgot to remove :(. Was going crazy for a bit thinking I left the parts at my friends house, but then realized I reinstalled them on the front right springs.

I feel the majority of the folks in this thread has gone lower than recommended. I personally want to go lower, but resisting to do so :) Parked next to a MYP I felt my MYLR was at the same height.

Tomorrow, i'm going to remove 1 front rubber isolator I forgot to remove :(. Was going crazy for a bit thinking I left the parts at my friends house, but then realized I reinstalled them on the front right springs.
Actually doubt that a majority of owners have gone significantly lower than MPP recommendations. I'd say some are lower some are higher and many are right about what they recommend. Going significantly lower has some serious disadvantages in terms of running out of suspension travel to say nothing of ground clearance.