Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tempted to go another 5mm. I think I can still clear my parking blocks height.

6FE34F6F-978C-4D16-A539-E8849558D39F.jpeg

12F5C51F-BD35-48B2-8B4E-342E6018472B.jpeg

Good morning!

1.) For those that ordered MPP coilovers, how did you choose between them and the UPP product?

2.) A lot of people in these threads are performance-inclined. Like, you're looking to find a better local maxima of both handling and softness. I'm heavily biased towards comfort as our Y is a family daily driver. I'd probably start the suspension on max soft and work firmer from there if I needed to. In other words, I wouldn't care if the body rolled 30 degrees when I turned, so long as the potholes suck less! Anybody else in this boat? What's the subjective experience of hitting a pothole with the suspension on its softest setting? How much better than stock?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Reactions: whisperingshad
Good morning!

1.) For those that ordered MPP coilovers, how did you choose between them and the UPP product?

2.) A lot of people in these threads are performance-inclined. Like, you're looking to find a better local maxima of both handling and softness. I'm heavily biased towards comfort as our Y is a family daily driver. I'd probably start the suspension on max soft and work firmer from there if I needed to. In other words, I wouldn't care if the body rolled 30 degrees when I turned, so long as the potholes suck less! Anybody else in this boat? What's the subjective experience of hitting a pothole with the suspension on its softest setting? How much better than stock?

I’ve tried to very soft 14/14 all-around, but there were more turns to go even softer: MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

I drive through Seattle occassionally and know I-5 near the city is bumpy and the local roads are jarring on stock suspension. You’ll be happy with the night-and-day improvement at 14/14 but you’ll lose the sporty edge; if you go softer it might start to feel like driving a jeep cherokee

I’m currently using these settings and with tires at 41 psi on the 21” uberturbines and is the right feel for me even in Seattle streets:

front 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)

rear 12/10 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)

Good morning!

Pretty easy decision for me. MPP's service is top notch and their products have been tested and proven. The MPP units are the KW V3 system which has a good track record, no pun intended. The Model 3 owners are happy with them so it was pretty easy to make that decision. I'm not sure what UPP is using at the moment. Previously they were Hyperco springs with Ohlin shocks but I believe they have switched to Swift springs; don't quote me on that. If you read up on them, early versions had noise/chattering issues, so they were redesigned. Plus, the UPP setup is with a monotube shock design. KW V3 uses a twin-tube design and are a bit more street friendly in terms of ride comfort.

You can find some feedback on the UPP in this thread: Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilover Suspension Kit

Reactions: Paul8810 and Wreckz
Deleted most of my reply because the folks above nailed it.

Also if you read any post from MPP it's just facts. It was hard to grasp until I actually had the product installed.

I would advise you not to go with 21/21 to start with (Might be bouncy ASF.) . I think 14/14 Front and 14/12 Rear is a great starting point for comfort.

Reactions: DennyL and gundarx
I came across this on other car forums with aftermarket adjustable KW suspension- do not use the maximum softness setting on any adjustment compression/rebound. Doing so will cause premature wear and failure. At the most, back out at least to the last full click on that adjustment.

from: https://images.carid.com/kw-suspensions/suspension-systems/pdf/35220091-3-setup-manual.pdf
"Attention:
Never drive the vehicle with the shock absorbers set to full hard or full soft! Never apply force to the adjusting mechanism of the shock absorber. As soon as you reach the end of the adjustment range, you will recognize a certain resistance. Stop turning to avoid damage to the bottom valve."

@MountainPass might be useful to add that in the instructions; there's bound to be a MY owner with a sore back that will turn this up to max soft.

If I measured correctly, these are the max softness settings for the MPP kit:

front compression: 14
front rebound: 19

rear compression: 14 (13 might be safer)
rear rebound: 20

@Wreckz you won't get to 21/21 without breaking all the adjustment knobs ;)

Reactions: Wreckz
Hi team,

Got the MPP comfort coilovers installed and drove home on the freeway for about 30 miles.
Used max comfort settings per MPP: 14 clicks from full stiff on all settings, front and rear.
I'm still figuring out the impact and will add to this, but I was quite pleased. The best way I can put it is the car now feels normal, and doesn't get bounced around on each bump, or have the nearly the same level of shock and noise. Good example: the joints on the freeways around here - you feel the bump, but not a huge shock and boom when hitting it. Obviously simply putting new shocks on can't eliminate all of the noise coming in, but it certainly smooths it out.
One thing I noticed is the car sways more during a lane change. Didn't bother me, just noticed it.
Around town, still gauging it. Definitely better, but a bumpy road is still very noisy. My initial impression, which isn't final, is they smooth things out at speed very well, and maybe less at lower speeds, but not really sure yet.

It takes me a while to process these things, so I'll do some more driving and give a more complete update soon.

They swaying is probably because of the soft compression setting at 14. If you want to correct it you can just stiffen than up by a click or two.
Yes and rebound also contributes because while compression stiffness prevents the outboard loaded wheel from deflecting as much rebound stiffness does the same for the inboard wheel. When you add those things to the lack of jacking because you're not getting into the bump stops nearly as much with the MPP suspension as the stock one, even the Comfort adjustable coilover kit results in less body lean over all, even set at the default 12/10. Ratcheted down from there to say 10/8 there is significantly less body roll than stock but of course you lose a little of that exceptionally Supple ride. In any case it's amazing to get both improved ride and improved handling from the MPP kits. They are the best.

Reactions: gundarx
@gundarx totally was guesstimating. Didn't know compression was limited to 14.. Learning something new everyday.
I don’t believe this is correct. As I mentioned in my post, I went with NPP recommended settings which are 14 clicks off of Max stiffness.
I did them myself and they were clearly 20 clicks For both rebound and compression on both front and rear. If I miss read your post, I apologize.

Just finished installing and drove through some rough roads to my moms home and I’m very happy with the results. The Y now takes the bumpy roads, train tracks and uneven pavements way smoother! Gonna test it out some more tomorrow on a small road trip to Los Angeles.

I lowered the Y about 1.5 all around but may raise the front up a tad once it settles. Really enjoying them!

I’ll get some better pics soon.

Attachments

• C23548B6-147F-4946-9D5E-ED2D4A88C60F.jpeg
    C23548B6-147F-4946-9D5E-ED2D4A88C60F.jpeg
    672.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 07367EE1-1B62-4961-9564-0CD2A3660691.jpeg
    07367EE1-1B62-4961-9564-0CD2A3660691.jpeg
    742.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 99BB1DD3-BD51-4D05-A7C4-BACA1BF762FC.jpeg
    99BB1DD3-BD51-4D05-A7C4-BACA1BF762FC.jpeg
    568.8 KB · Views: 174