Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finished installing and drove through some rough roads to my moms home and I’m very happy with the results. The Y now takes the bumpy roads, train tracks and uneven pavements way smoother! Gonna test it out some more tomorrow on a small road trip to Los Angeles.

I lowered the Y about 1.5 all around but may raise the front up a tad once it settles. Really enjoying them!

I’ll get some better pics soon.

Looks sick!! I'm in the a similar boat, should I raise my front or lower the back by 4-8mm to even out the fender gap. I know my car is raked a bit due to tire size in the rear adding 4mm to the diameter of the wheel.

This is the best picture I have so far to represent wheel gap. Been wanting to drive to the North Shore to get a better backdrop, but been lazy.

I have about a 1.5 finger gap front and maybe 2.25 gap in the rear.
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 5.46.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 5.50.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 5.51.13 PM.png

Last edited:
I don’t believe this is correct. As I mentioned in my post, I went with NPP recommended settings which are 14 clicks off of Max stiffness.
I did them myself and they were clearly 20 clicks For both rebound and compression on both front and rear. If I miss read your post, I apologize.

Hmm I think @gundarx is right. When I adjusted my front bump yesterday I couldn’t go past 14. Maybe I wasn’t in a good position to adjust bump. My thumbs and fingers were fatiguing when adjusting them.

I was also referring to the unspoken "butt dyno" results that we're all guilty of, after spending $3500!!!! The advantage of my delayed MPP delivery date will allow slightly longer-term evaluations for me to read about.

Thanks for all the positive MPP posts.

This is the best picture I have so far to represent wheel gap. Been wanting to drive to the North Shore to get a better backdrop, but been lazy.

I have about a 1.5 finger gap front and maybe 2.25 gap in the rear.View attachment 659633

View attachment 659634

View attachment 659635
I think this setup is the sweet spot for wheels and tires on the Model Y - reasonably lightweight 20in Wheels with the 265/40 - 20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. More comfortable for sure then the performance wheel and tire package, not much range sacrifice compared to the 19's and great grip, probably better than the performance package, and way better rim and tire protection. It ticks all the boxes, and excels at numerous parameters without any major sacrifice in range, comfort, performance or durability. Plus it's really good looking. I think you nailed it!

Last edited:
Reactions: pt19713 and Wreckz
I was defiantly shooting for a little meaty look on tires. The rear is 9.5 inch wide on 265. The front is actually 255 on 9 Inch wide wheel. Not sure why it’s a bit stretchy but it’s fine…
I actually think the 9.5 inch rim is better with a 265. I've got 265 / 30 Pilot Sport 4S fronts on a 9.5 and they sit really nicely– not stretched but not squeezed either. It does make the tire look really meaty, again really nice job! I'm assuming you've got the Comfort coilovers?

I actually think the 9.5 inch rim is better with a 265. I've got 265 / 30 Pilot Sport 4S fronts on a 9.5 and they sit really nicely– not stretched but not squeezed either. Again really nice job! I'm assuming you've got the Comfort coilovers?

On the 9 it’s weird why it’s stretched.. but yes the 9.5 with 265 is perfect imho. Also if I went with 10s my tire selection was limited (285/40).

Yep comfort coilovers. No regrets getting them. 14/14 and 14/12 is were it will be at for a long time.

Front stretch
F28FD849-243D-412C-A484-929BAF3983DC.jpeg

Reactions: dfwatt
On the 9 it’s weird why it’s stretched.. but yes the 9.5 with 265 is perfect imho. Also if I went with 10s my tire selection was limited (285/40).

Yep comfort coilovers. No regrets getting them. 14/14 and 14/12 is were it will be at for a long time.

Front stretch
View attachment 659851
Yeah that should be about as comfortable as a Model Y can get. I went in the other direction – Batmobile handling! But I suspect your Y both rides much better and handles better as well.

Reactions: Wreckz
I’ve tried to very soft 14/14 all-around, but there were more turns to go even softer: MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

I drive through Seattle occassionally and know I-5 near the city is bumpy and the local roads are jarring on stock suspension. You’ll be happy with the night-and-day improvement at 14/14 but you’ll lose the sporty edge; if you go softer it might start to feel like driving a jeep cherokee

I’m currently using these settings and with tires at 41 psi on the 21” uberturbines and is the right feel for me even in Seattle streets:

front 12/12 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)

rear 12/10 (compression/rebound turns from full stiff)
did you get yours installed in seattle area? and how much did it all cost?

Yeah that should be about as comfortable as a Model Y can get. I went in the other direction – Batmobile handling! But I suspect your Y both rides much better and handles better as well.

100% correct. At those setting it still handles a little better than stock on twisty roads. Only difference is going over a hump on freeway I can feel the car bounce a few times before it settles down. My nephew and nieces loves it when that happens.

Reactions: dfwatt
Hi! Dumb question. I got these installed on Monday. Ride is noticeably softer at setting 14/14. I want to firm up a bit. The rear wheels are easy (I didn’t adjust height).

For the front. I’ve removed the front trunk cover and can see where I need to adjust. However, I can’t get to adjustment on the right as the windshield wiper fluid is in the way. Do I need to move this?

Also for the adjustment in the front near the tire, can this be reached by hand? Any tips? I don’t have a lift.