Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! Dumb question. I got these installed on Monday. Ride is noticeably softer at setting 14/14. I want to firm up a bit. The rear wheels are easy (I didn’t adjust height).

For the front. I’ve removed the front trunk cover and can see where I need to adjust. However, I can’t get to adjustment on the right as the windshield wiper fluid is in the way. Do I need to move this?

Also for the adjustment in the front near the tire, can this be reached by hand? Any tips? I don’t have a lift.

The windshield washer filler neck can twist for easier access. MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

For access to front bottom adjustment, turn steering wheel all the way to one side and you’ll be able to reach it by lying with your back on the ground and reaching with your arm.

You’ll need to jack the car to access rear top adjustments, unless your ride height is high enough with a large fender gap.

Hi everyone, consider this part two of my review.
I think it’s worth noting that perhaps any shock upgrade would probably feel much better than the stock shocks, so I can’t say how these would compare to any other upgrades. That said, I am more and more pleased by the results.
I think they may have softened up a bit from the initial ride home as everything just feels smoother and smoother.
They have absolutely transformed the car from one that was exciting and fun but in a lot of ways unpleasant to drive into a very nice feeling vehicle.
Freeway driving: the ride is smoothed out, the harsh bumps don’t rattle the whole car nearly as much. You still feel bumps in the road more than some comparable vehicles but much of the harshness is removed.

Around town: very similar to the freeway, but rough roads still cause quite a bit of noise to come through but overall Noise and loud shockwaves are greatly reduced.

Two lane winding roads, having some fun: Despite having them on the softest recommended settings from MPP driving on a winding road is a much more pleasant experience.
I think it’s easy to confuse stiff with good handling. Going through a turn now, I can feel the suspension flexing/absorbing through turns but it is actually much more pleasant and responsive than just having a suspension that doesn’t have much give to it at all. Also, around here the roads are generally bumpy so the car stays much more composed through the turns over the road imperfections.
Tonight it reminded me of the Acura MDX we had: very smooth riding but the more you give it the more it gives back.

I don’t see any need for my driving habits to mess with the settings at all as the 14 clicks from full stiff that MPP recommended for maximum comfort feel great and I think the car handles well (I have no interest in pushing the car very fast, So others take on “performance” may vary). Also like I said, I think the softer settings actually handle much better and are more confidence inspiring than stock anyway.

To conclude, as others have said, if your suspension is the one thing that is bugging you with the car, it is absolutely worth pulling the trigger and getting these. Much of the harshness and loud booming over bumps has been removed and it just feels better in every way. Bravo MPP, well done.

Vivelemond: Thanks for the write-up. Now you can just stop telling us how wonderful they are, as we wait and wait for our orders to be fulfilled!;)

Serious question: can you now actually rest your head against the headrest while cruising on a highway? I've never had a car that is so busy, and I find I get fatigued because I'm always having to hold my head away from the headrest.

Thoughts?

Vivelemond: Thanks for the write-up. Now you can just stop telling us how wonderful they are, as we wait and wait for our orders to be fulfilled!;)

Serious question: can you now actually rest your head against the headrest while cruising on a highway? I've never had a car that is so busy, and I find I get fatigued because I'm always having to hold my head away from the headrest.

Thoughts?
Honestly, that has never been an issue for me. When my wife drives, I put my head back and take a nap so hard for me to say. The new suspension is a little bit smoother for sure, but driving on a normal freeway that has never been an issue For me. Therefore I am hesitant to give any opinion on that subject.

I'm really getting close to pulling the trigger on these and installing them myself but just to check, you guys DO feel a substantial improvement in ride quality right? This isn't a case of I think it feels better and I want to think I didn't just waste $3k so I'm telling myself it feels better correct? My MYP has always just felt "sporty" to me but my wife thinks it's a big drop in ride quality compared to the X I had before.

Reactions: MODEL+
I'm really getting close to pulling the trigger on these and installing them myself but just to check, you guys DO feel a substantial improvement in ride quality right? This isn't a case of I think it feels better and I want to think I didn't just waste $3k so I'm telling myself it feels better correct? My MYP has always just felt "sporty" to me but my wife thinks it's a big drop in ride quality compared to the X I had before.
It is definitely better, but it will not be as good as a model S or model X as they simply have more advanced suspension systems.
If you are OK with your suspension as is, it might not make that much of a difference. I had an early model Y and as many people have commented they probably already gotten better from the factory as time is going on.
For us it has made a substantial difference and I would recommend it to anybody but again if you think it’s OK as is I can’t say that it’s gonna be a big difference.

I had a X prior to the Y and the suspension of the X felt mushy to me compared to the Y. Totally different feel from the Y as the X's suspension had more of a Lexus floaty feeling to it.

The MYP from the factory rode very "rough" to the point where my wife didn't want to take it on drives longer than 30 minutes. I've put over 700 miles in the past few days with the MPP coilovers with the wife onboard and she mentioned it's a "cushier" ride compared to how it was before and that she's more comfortable sitting in it now. Both kids also mentioned it's not as bouncy or jaw jolting going over bumps and that it now rides a lot better than before. Is it worth $3k? For me it is because I don't have to hear my wife and kids complain about the hard bumps on the roads and that saves me a headache lol. This is definitely how the Y should have come from the factory!

Reactions: MODEL+ and Ruffles
I had a X prior to the Y and the suspension of the X felt mushy to me compared to the Y. Totally different feel from the Y as the X's suspension had more of a Lexus floaty feeling to it.
Thanks. That kind of how I feel. My X felt like a boat and the Y felt like a proper sports car. While my wife doesn't complain too much, I know it bugs her and $3k to make the wife happy is a bargain :). Honestly, I need to stop coming to the forums and reading stuff like this thread. My wallet would be much happier. While I continue my research, I did place an order for a couple of Safe Jacks just in case I have a need to work on my car for some reason in the future ;)

• Funny
Reactions: MODEL+
Hi everyone, consider this part two of my review.
I think it’s worth noting that perhaps any shock upgrade would probably feel much better than the stock shocks, so I can’t say how these would compare to any other upgrades. That said, I am more and more pleased by the results.
I think they may have softened up a bit from the initial ride home as everything just feels smoother and smoother.
They have absolutely transformed the car from one that was exciting and fun but in a lot of ways unpleasant to drive into a very nice feeling vehicle.
Freeway driving: the ride is smoothed out, the harsh bumps don’t rattle the whole car nearly as much. You still feel bumps in the road more than some comparable vehicles but much of the harshness is removed.

Around town: very similar to the freeway, but rough roads still cause quite a bit of noise to come through but overall Noise and loud shockwaves are greatly reduced.

Two lane winding roads, having some fun: Despite having them on the softest recommended settings from MPP driving on a winding road is a much more pleasant experience.
I think it’s easy to confuse stiff with good handling. Going through a turn now, I can feel the suspension flexing/absorbing through turns but it is actually much more pleasant and responsive than just having a suspension that doesn’t have much give to it at all. Also, around here the roads are generally bumpy so the car stays much more composed through the turns over the road imperfections.
Tonight it reminded me of the Acura MDX we had: very smooth riding but the more you give it the more it gives back.

I don’t see any need for my driving habits to mess with the settings at all as the 14 clicks from full stiff that MPP recommended for maximum comfort feel great and I think the car handles well (I have no interest in pushing the car very fast, So others take on “performance” may vary). Also like I said, I think the softer settings actually handle much better and are more confidence inspiring than stock anyway.

To conclude, as others have said, if your suspension is the one thing that is bugging you with the car, it is absolutely worth pulling the trigger and getting these. Much of the harshness and loud booming over bumps has been removed and it just feels better in every way. Bravo MPP, well done.
Can you elaborate on the boominess? Does it quiet down the car noticeably?

That is one thing I cannot stand about this car, the boominess bothers my ear, although the noise and ride comfort has gotten significantly better, I'm still hoping for more. I've ordered these already.

That is one thing I cannot stand about this car, the boominess bothers my ear, although the noise and ride comfort has gotten significantly better, I'm still hoping for more. I've ordered these already.
MPP coilovers will not quiet the vehicle. This is more of a Tesla design, lacking better bushings and sound dampening material to improve NVH.

Reactions: Wreckz
Thanks. That kind of how I feel. My X felt like a boat and the Y felt like a proper sports car. While my wife doesn't complain too much, I know it bugs her and $3k to make the wife happy is a bargain :). Honestly, I need to stop coming to the forums and reading stuff like this thread. My wallet would be much happier. While I continue my research, I did place an order for a couple of Safe Jacks just in case I have a need to work on my car for some reason in the future ;)

While I can count the number of times my wife has mentioned the ride being bumpy (I know she's avoiding hurting my feelings on this car), prior to the MPP coilovers, it was the net effect of increased anxiety I noticed on everyone after riding in the car while I drove in the same relaxed pace as our Model 3 and mostly on autopilot. Any disturbance to smooth pavement was felt and my wife who usually prefers to sleep on the highway drive to and from Bellevue would be disturbed. Felt like owning a fighter jet with clipped wings, really discouraging any fast driving even on empty stretches of road. The car is meant to be a family SUV but its on-road manners oftentimes are more like a Lotus driven on broken road.

After tires, MPP install, sound deadening, my son is able to read his books throughout the ride and both wife and son have slept soundly, even when I sneak going well past the speed limit to pass traffic. I do not miss waking my scared passengers and getting scolded about my speed.

Reactions: Henry82 and Ruffles

MPP coilovers will not quiet the vehicle. This is more of a Tesla design, lacking better bushings and sound dampening material to improve NVH.

Road vibrations and impacts which generate transmitted energy and resonance into the cabin, and may also rattle cabin bits like child seats, seat belt adjusters, dash panels, hatch, etc. are reduced, especially so on the softer MPP settings. Any suspension change will not help road noise from tires. A lot of boom and road noise has improved by addition of sound deadening material (butyl and closed-cell foam). I think I've added about 15 lbs. of material to the car and the benefit is well worth it, including to the front wheel wells this weekend.

original (Tesla has tiny bits of butyl tape improperly applied and peeling off; really just to seal off holes like duct tape, otherwise you can see there's nothing in here and just allows so much noise into the cabin; priority must have been on labor and cost reduction and lighter car = greater range and 0-60 times):
1 (3).jpeg

with butyl applied, the fender portion is thin sheetmetal even on the interior cavities and is a resonating sound chamber (you can test by knocking on your front fenders); after the butyl it sounds solid:
2.jpeg

I applied large sheets of foam sound deadener (essentially as much as I can put in there without posing a problem putting the liner back on) on top of the butyl to cut the noise, so that whole area inside the wheel well liner is all gray foam now with almost no gaps; I forgot to take a photo while hastily putting everything back.

This is completely incorrect. The new suspension has alleviated almost all of the noise problem. The main booming noises are when you hit a sharp bump and the stock suspension doesn’t absorb it at all and it was like a bomb going off in the back of the car, “Bloom“!
The car is still not the quietest car out there by any means but the main offending moments have been greatly reduced.

Most of these moments are completely gone and the car is significantly quieter.So much so that I was considering ordering the model Y shelf to put in the back for noise reduction and now I probably won’t bother.

This is completely incorrect. The new suspension has alleviated almost all of the noise problem. The main booming noises are when you hit a sharp bump and the stock suspension doesn’t absorb it at all and it was like a bomb going off in the back of the car, “Bloom“!
The car is still not the quietest car out there by any means but the main offending moments have been greatly reduced.

Most of these moments are completely gone and the car is significantly quieter.So much so that I was considering ordering the model Y shelf to put in the back for noise reduction and now I probably won’t bother.
I forgot to add the obligatory wife comment: she is very happy and enjoys the car much more as well. Going into this she was very skeptical and to Her credit said the car was fine but now she is beyond pleased. Basically the car feels like it always should have, like a nice driving normal car, not one with a harsh, bumpy, noisy suspension. Is it an Acura or a Lexus? No, but it feels like a normal car should. And lots of people here probably don’t want it to feel like an Acura or a Lexus, they want a more sporty feel, but at least now we have that with a modicum of comfort.

Reactions: whisperingshad

You and I are describing two different things.
A softer suspension is reducing or eliminate the interior rattle. This is just the bad (or cost cutting) design by Tesla and the softer suspension is preventing the seats, head rests, interior panels, seat belts, etc from jiggling around due to the poor shock rebound control. If Tesla built the interior to be more solid, the MPP coilover wouldn't make a difference. The MPP coilover setup is just alleviating the symptom, not fixing the root cause.

What I'm discussing is the road noise from the subframe and suspension, not the interior of the cabin.

Personally, I'm not noticing a difference in less interior rattles, mostly because the road isolation noise is overpowering any interior noise.

Reactions: Wreckz