Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious what everyone is doing with the stock tesla coilovers after they are removed? What is the typical useful life for these after market parts (hopefully the life of the car)?
warranty is 2 years, they can recondition as needed for about 2k(UPP). Hopefully they last about 10yrs before that need. Honestly was the reason i decided not to get.

These are lifetime warranty but unsure of how good ride is etc, and a bit more pricy.

• Informative
Reactions: mark95476
Lifetime warranty against defects in craftsmanship. After 200,000 miles of wear, (when the oil seeps out of the shock bodies), do you really think you can send the worn-out shocks and get a free replacement? It'd be nice, but I've never seen a company do that.

Like any other mechanical, high wear part, shocks do not last the lifetime of the vehicle, unless the lifetime is maybe 50,000-70,000 miles or so. In a heavy car (like all Teslas), especially the ones fitted with 30 lb. wheels, I don't expect any shocks, aftermarket or stock, to last long.

I don't think there's a mileage gauge for shocks because it all depends on too many factors like weight of the car, weight of the wheels, smoothness of the roads on the daily drive, etc.

But I recognize all this and purchase the good ones anyway, knowing that later, when they do get worn out, these aftermarket shocks can be removed and rebuilt. That's why its a good idea to keep the stock ones, if you need to drive around while the aftermarket ones are shipped out and waiting for them to come back.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: dfwatt and pt19713
Lifetime warranty against defects in craftsmanship. After 200,000 miles of wear, (when the oil seeps out of the shock bodies), do you really think you can send the worn-out shocks and get a free replacement? It'd be nice, but I've never seen a company do that.

Like any other mechanical, high wear part, shocks do not last the lifetime of the vehicle, unless the lifetime is maybe 50,000-70,000 miles or so. In a heavy car (like all Teslas), especially the ones fitted with 30 lb. wheels, I don't expect any shocks, aftermarket or stock, to last long.

I don't think there's a mileage gauge for shocks because it all depends on too many factors like weight of the car, weight of the wheels, smoothness of the roads on the daily drive, etc.

But I recognize all this and purchase the good ones anyway, knowing that later, when they do get worn out, these aftermarket shocks can be removed and rebuilt. That's why its a good idea to keep the stock ones, if you need to drive around while the aftermarket ones are shipped out and waiting for them to come back.
The weight of the car and the weight of the wheels and suspension doesn't necessarily make the shock wear faster because the shock body and valving and internal mechanism is proportionally larger. Properly made shocks like KW don't really wear out and can last for many many years unless they're dynamically overloaded (by impact). You're making it sound as though the shocks on a heavier car intrinsically have to be replaced more often than shocks on a lighter car. What's your database for this assertion? Because it's actually counterfactual.

Properly made shocks like KW don't really wear out and can last for many many years unless they're dynamically overloaded (by impact). You're making it sound as though the shocks on a heavier car intrinsically have to be replaced more often than shocks on a lighter car. What's your database for this assertion? Because it's actually counterfactual.
Properly designed shocks may take longer, much longer to wear out, sure that part I’ll definitely agree on.

and yes, manufacturers and aftermarket companies alike do need to spec correct shocks fit for the vehicles they’re intended to go into. But I’ve seen quite a few that aren’t, blowing out in 30,000 miles or less.

for the ones that are properly spec’ed, I’ve still yet to see any shock last all the way through 200,000-300,000 miles. They all wear out completely by then, turning into loose rods that can be easily pushed in with one hand.

and also, when the shocks do wear out completely, do the owners know their shocks are out? Since most shocks wear out gradually over time, people might not even know until its pointed out to them.

Reactions: dfwatt
Properly designed shocks may take longer, much longer to wear out, sure that part I’ll definitely agree on.

and yes, manufacturers and aftermarket companies alike do need to spec correct shocks fit for the vehicles they’re intended to go into. But I’ve seen quite a few that aren’t, blowing out in 30,000 miles or less.

for the ones that are properly spec’ed, I’ve still yet to see any shock last all the way through 200,000-300,000 miles. They all wear out completely by then, turning into loose rods that can be easily pushed in with one hand.

and also, when the shocks do wear out completely, do the owners know their shocks are out? Since most shocks wear out gradually over time, people might not even know until its pointed out to them.
Well with this careful consideration, then you would probably agree that the problem when shocks "wear out" particularly again if they are leaking fluid, is whether that's due to normal wear and tear or due to dynamic overload. Most of the time I believe it's due to dynamic overload. Especially again if fluid is leaking because that's almost surely an index at the shock was subjected to forces outside its envelope of acceleration / modulation. I've never had a high quality aftermarket shock not outlast the car that I was driving and that includes a couple of cars that made it to 200,000 miles unless I had done something nasty to that side of the car. Difficult to avoid in New England where I've been for most of the last 50 years.

Reactions: gundarx
Well with this careful consideration, then you would probably agree that the problem when shocks "wear out" particularly again if they are leaking fluid, is whether that's due to normal wear and tear or due to dynamic overload. Most of the time I believe it's due to dynamic overload. Especially again if fluid is leaking because that's almost surely an index at the shock was subjected to forces outside its envelope of acceleration / modulation. I've never had a high quality aftermarket shock not outlast the car that I was driving and that includes a couple of cars that made it to 200,000 miles unless I had done something nasty to that side of the car. Difficult to avoid in New England where I've been for most of the last 50 years.
Makes me wonder why they wouldnt have say a 5 or 10 yr warranty then...

Makes me wonder why they wouldnt have say a 5 or 10 yr warranty then...
Without disassembling the shock and essentially servicing it you cannot determine whether or not the shocks loss of capacity is from Impact or normal wear and tear. Most crappy OEM shocks are warrantied for the standard warranty. Which oftentimes is 5 years or thereabouts. But if you show up with a bent suspension and a leaking shock you can bet your bottom dollar they are not covering that under a warranty repair. And most crappy OEM shocks are made to be thrown out when they're no longer functional or recycled. Only expensive aftermarket premium shocks get rebuilt.

Reactions: Exelion
Yay! Guess what I'm working on this weekend :)
20210527_202953.jpg

nice. I myself have to install my camber arms. Just been lazy to do so. Maybe this weekend too.

I think once your car is lowered it will be my favorite, the color I wanted, lowered, and you wheels are okay.

Mine is set at 12/12 and 13/12 at the Kent it in my happy place. 14/14 all around was good but was bit bouncy depending the situation.