Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to chime in here and say that I love these MPP coilovers thus far! Communication with MPP was excellent while I impatiently waited for delivery :)
I've had mine installed now for almost a month. Had them installed by a local shop, who did a great job. I'm thinking that I probably need to soften them up a bit, but I'm not setup to do that myself just yet...so I guess I need to decide whether I want to invest in a jack/stands or pay a shop to adjust for me... I'm not in too big a rush - might become more of a problem if the fam and I decide to take a road trip this summer.

Not the greatest shot, but here it is:
p2603600752-4.jpg

What do you all think I could safely install spacer wise to get a little more flush?
Looks great! I would forgo the spacers and when it’s time to replace your tires get a wider one. These cars have too much torque and I wouldn’t use a spacer. (FYI I’ve used spacers on 800hp CTSV and 700hp Audi and regretted it) but do what you want

Tesla’s tires are way to stretched.
I myself went with aftermarket wheels that are only 9in wide, have a better offset and used the same OEM sized tires.

I echo your experience with MPP. I have 3000mi on mine so far and it’s all good.

Wow, your car is absolutely beautiful. Love the rims and the caliper covers with the gray.

Not caliper covers, The calipers are 7 stage powdercoat (currently for sale also as i put on a Big Brake Kit)

3 spoke wheels (full forged) will also be for sale soon as i am having a new set built

Attachments

• D12A55F6-B6AB-4571-93E8-36D98686921B.jpeg
    D12A55F6-B6AB-4571-93E8-36D98686921B.jpeg
    550.8 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: Nolakai
Anyone recommend an installer for MPP coilovers in the Phoenix area? The one recommended to me seems like the work would be good, but he never follows through, rarely answers the phone, never responds to emails. Not really what I'm looking for in a business.

I'm going to be taking mine to Forza Auto in Tempe next week. I've called probably 5-6 places in the Phoenix/Tempe area. I was referred to them by ColorBombs (Wrap) and WheelSpecialitsts (Rim/Tires) when I got my other work done. Eddie is the owner's name, but super busy and has a 1-month wait. (The place doesn't look fancy, but he does a bunch of exotics and from what I've heard does great work)

I am pretty happy with MPP recommended settings at stock height.

Started with 12/12 all around and the MPP lower recommended settings. It may just be me, but I didn't like I lowered feel and thought stock height felt good.The 12/12 front and rear settings felt extra bouncy / floaty.

With raising these to stock height, 12/12 front and 10/8 rear, realignment.. it feels great. Much better than stock suspension and ride.

Anyone has the default Tesla height for front and back. I had my coilovers installed last month. I told the shop not to lower but for some reason they still did. I'll bring it back to them to raise it up as I keep hitting the parking blocks or scrapping the bottom.

Thanks

Copied from mpp site. Not sure what the ride height is for LR though.

RIDE HEIGHT RANGE:
Factory Battery Clearance (21″ Wheels, Performance Model Y):
Front: 165mm
Rear: 165mm

Factory Hub-Fender Distance (21″ Wheels, Performance Model Y):
Front: 422mm
Rear: 424mm

I just walked out to my MYLR(5) (Apollo wheels with Gemini hubcaps) and 255 45R19 Continental tires.

Measuring from top of fender to center of hub,

17" (432mm) front and
17" (432mm) rear.

Comparing to the above post, it looks like the MYP sit about 1" lower than the MYLR's.

Anyone has the default Tesla height for front and back. I had my coilovers installed last month. I told the shop not to lower but for some reason they still did. I'll bring it back to them to raise it up as I keep hitting the parking blocks or scrapping the bottom.

Thanks
Yes, just did this last week to put it back up stock height. (See post above yours). More preference than concern for scraping.

I like it at stock height.

HI
I ordered on May 22, Order #12742

Any idea when I can expect them?

Also, Ill ask this question here as it might help others

I am only interested in making the ride more comfortable. Somewhere in these comments someone pointed out that the instructions say to not crank the settings fully hard (or soft?). Im having mine installed for me. So the setting for the most comfortable ride should be what? Im assuming adjust them fully soft then back them off one( or two clicks to be safe) ?

Thanks

HI
I ordered on May 22, Order #12742

Any idea when I can expect them?

Also, Ill ask this question here as it might help others

I am only interested in making the ride more comfortable. Somewhere in these comments someone pointed out that the instructions say to not crank the settings fully hard (or soft?). Im having mine installed for me. So the setting for the most comfortable ride should be what? Im assuming adjust them fully soft then back them off one( or two clicks to be safe) ?

Thanks

14 turns from full stiff on all adjustments would be the setting for maximizing comfort.

Each of the dampers have different manufacturing tolerances (oil valving.. like your yard faucet) so while the 14 turns is what to aim for, you might not quite get there.

You’ll likely feel hard resistance, especially setting the rear compression adjustment (bottom of dampers) to 14 (at around 13.5), in which case set it to the last full click before that.

Reactions: Ruffles
I had my comfort coilovers installed Tuesday on my LR Y (19s). Set 0.5" lower and all 12/12 all around. Driving around a few days, the ride was strange. A little floaty and still harsh at the same time. I changed the back to 10/8 and the floatiness and strange harshness are gone. The car rides wonderfully, but a little bit firm for my taste. Will try back at 10/10 or go to 11/9.

Access was easy to change settings. I could easily reach in over the tire for the top setting and lay on my back and reach for the bottom. I love how I can play with settings and try things.

Talking with MPP, the ride smoothes out a bit after a week. I go in next Tuesday for final height setting and alignment after some time where the car and new suspension 'get acquainted'.

Overall, its a nice change. No more kidney punches. And its very interesting what setting changes do to the ride and handing in unexpected ways.

I had my comfort coilovers installed Tuesday on my LR Y (19s). Set 0.5" lower and all 12/12 all around. Driving around a few days, the ride was strange. A little floaty and still harsh at the same time. I changed the back to 10/8 and the floatiness and strange harshness are gone. The car rides wonderfully, but a little bit firm for my taste. Will try back at 10/10 or go to 11/9.

Access was easy to change settings. I could easily reach in over the tire for the top setting and lay on my back and reach for the bottom. I love how I can play with settings and try things.

Talking with MPP, the ride smoothes out a bit after a week. I go in next Tuesday for final height setting and alignment after some time where the car and new suspension 'get acquainted'.

Overall, its a nice change. No more kidney punches. And its very interesting what setting changes do to the ride and handing in unexpected ways.
Yeah, for me, it's still harsh at lower speeds but floaty at higher speeds. I don't think we can soften it too much due to the spring rates, but, the better shocks help soften the ride at higher speeds.

Yeah, for me, it's still harsh at lower speeds but floaty at higher speeds. I don't think we can soften it too much due to the spring rates, but, the better shocks help soften the ride at higher speeds.
Lower your low speed compression and raise the rebound. The V3 have low speed compression adjustment and rebound. High speed compression is at a fixed rate.

Btw, I should add that before making adjustments close the adjusters, ie. full clockwise then open them up to your desired settings. It's ideal to close them before adjusting which resets the valving. And from time to time (like once a year maybe) you should re-calibrate the compression/bump by closing the adjuster, ie. turn clockwise to full closed or max power, then opening them up to your setting.

If you like that german overdampened feel use more rebound...

Last edited:
By lower do you mean fewer clicks from stiff (aka lower number of clicks)? thx.
We always count from full stiff (because going full stiff resets the internal valving). For ex. if you're running a suggested bump of 10 it is 10 from full soft. Thus to dial that ten in you'd (if your max adjustment is 14) open it from full stiff 4 clicks to arrive at 10. We don't coonversely go 10 clicks from full soft btw. I don't know what MPP's suggested settings are but I assume they include it with your coils. If you don't know where you are in your settings, count as you turn the knob/allen key to full stiff. The number of clicks to full stiff is where you were so as you open it up and add a click or two to soften it up from where you were. Write down x settings for future reference, etc etc.

For reference below...

Reactions: BodegaBay
Mpp site says the recs are based on turns from full stiff.

Model Y Comfort Adjustable Coilovers AWD – Initial Setup:
FRONT:

FRONT SPRING PERCH OFFSET: START AT: 55mm
FRONT COMPRESSION: 12 (Clicks open from full stiff)
FRONT REBOUND: 12 (Clicks open from full stiff)
FRONT RIDE HEIGHT: 395mm (Hub to Fender)

REAR:

REAR SPRING PERCH OFFSET: 16mm (this is the gap between the bottom of the spring perch and the top of the body – see photo)
REAR COMPRESSION: 10 (Clicks open from full stiff)
REAR REBOUND: 8 (Clicks open from full stiff)
REAR RIDE HEIGHT: 395mm (Hub to Fender)

Sorry, I'm still not clear. When you say "Lower your low speed compression", do you mean lower number of clicks from full clockwise or lower power (which would be more click from full clockwise)?

Kind of a "Who's on first" word game :).

Sorry, I'm still not clear. When you say "Lower your low speed compression", do you mean lower number of clicks from full clockwise or lower power (which would be more click from full clockwise)?

Kind of a "Who's on first" word game :).
It's technically the same. Lowering compression in the case of the V3 is low speed compression only since high speed compression is fixed. And setting the compression to full stiff is sometimes also called max power. Thus lowering compression or power are both opening the valve from full stiff more than whatever setting your currently at. For ex. the recommended starting settings are 12/12 compression/rebound front and 20/8 c/r rear. If your car is too bumpy or stiff, lower the compression to 10 and test then adjust rebound accordingly and vice versa. You do not have to stay within two clicks c to r.

In any case you should experiment with your compression(then rebound) setting at a few clicks from full stiff and a few clicks from full soft. There's nothing like feeling that difference first hand, and then you get that light bulb moment.