Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-130509_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20210907-130509_Tesla.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 114
Ruffles: What's your VIN????

With your substantial suspension/wheel mods, I suspect any warranty work is void. You've seriously changed the geometry.
My VIN ends with 041587. It will be interesting to see what they say. I've raised it back up a bit to where it is now about 3/4" lower than stock which really isn't much of a geometry change. I also didn't remove the front control arms when I did my install so the seals haven't been touched.

Have any of you gotten a notice from Tesla that there is a TSB for them to reseal the upper control arms? I got one and set up an appointment for the 20th. I wonder if they will say anything about the suspension?

They will not care. The front upper control arm does not connect to the shocks/struts in any capacity. The ball joint is more than 'flexible' enough to account for a lowered suspension.

masterC17: I bet it depends on the attitude of the SC manager. I agree with the reality of your statement regarding upper control arms. However, the perception of a "modified suspension" is the issue. It wouldn't surprise me if the SC rejects any warranty TSB claim.

masterC17: I bet it depends on the attitude of the SC manager. I agree with the reality of your statement regarding upper control arms. However, the perception of a "modified suspension" is the issue. It wouldn't surprise me if the SC rejects any warranty TSB claim.
Unfortunately, it can really come down to which SC you go to or even which tech or manager it is dealing with your car. We all know that the front upper control arms tend to fail even on a bone stock car, but that won't stop some SC's from looking at it and claiming that it is due to modifications. It is interesting to me because the tech isn't going to be the one paying for it. What is their incentive to avoid repairing it under warranty?

In my time at dealerships, we were only required to ship the original failed part back to the manufacturer so they could verify it had failed, but there wasn't any information about the car required other than the VIN.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul8810
I'm still waiting for my coilovers but i would like to know how easy is it to make bump/rebound adjustments on the fly? Is everyone removing wheels to makes these adjustments or can they be reached easily with the wheels on? I have the 20" Inductions for reference.
Very easy. No, the car does not need to be raised, and you certainly don’t need to take the wheels off.

from easiest to most time consuming:

-Rear rebound. The easiest by far! Use a long, wooden stick, like a children’s flag toy or pinwheel rod (don’t ask how I know this) and use that to reach in above the rear tires and adjust. Press gently for each click. Use a flashlight if you can’t see.

-Rear compression. Lie on the ground and go by feel. Reach for the shock and move you hand all the way down until you feel the adjuster. Now, make sure you look at a picture of the shock as you make turn the dial, or you may turn it backwards!

-Front compression. Turn the steering wheel to the LEFT to adjust the left shock compression dial and vice versa. Then get down on the ground and feel for the adjuster. Slightly harder than the rears because the dial is more inset in the shock body. The difficulty is slightly higher because of having to turn the steering wheel and the location of the dial.

-Finally, the dreaded front rebound. You need to remove the frunk top cover AND! rotate the windshield washer fluid tube out of the way. Then use either a 2mm (not 2.5!!!) hex or included removable knob to adjust. The clicks are very hard to feel, the knob is beat to use.

Have fun!

So, I have had my coilovers for a bit over a month.. and not having a manually adjustable suspension before I have no idea how to dial in for the specs that I want. Right now I feel like there is something going on in the rear suspension that causes some rear wheel hop or bounce under acceleration. This happens when going down a curvey on ramp under accelleration and the rear outside tire seems to do something squirelly. It doesnt sit down predicably as previous cars have or even like a friends M3P.

I also want to work with a tech to figure out a summer and winter setup to raise the car a bit in the winter. The shop that did my install is awesome, but its 70 miles away. Around me there is a pretty large german tuning community... anyone had luck with another tuner willing to work on adjusting coilovers to tune them in? When I called around for isntall I didnt have any luck as most places were looking to charge $1700-$2k for installater as if there was a tesla tax. Ultimately I think I paid $1100 for install and alignmetn.

So, I have had my coilovers for a bit over a month.. and not having a manually adjustable suspension before I have no idea how to dial in for the specs that I want. Right now I feel like there is something going on in the rear suspension that causes some rear wheel hop or bounce under acceleration. This happens when going down a curvey on ramp under accelleration and the rear outside tire seems to do something squirelly. It doesnt sit down predicably as previous cars have or even like a friends M3P.

I also want to work with a tech to figure out a summer and winter setup to raise the car a bit in the winter. The shop that did my install is awesome, but its 70 miles away. Around me there is a pretty large german tuning community... anyone had luck with another tuner willing to work on adjusting coilovers to tune them in? When I called around for isntall I didnt have any luck as most places were looking to charge $1700-$2k for installater as if there was a tesla tax. Ultimately I think I paid $1100 for install and alignmetn.

I am sure you could ask any performance shop to adjust your ride height. If they are unsure, please feel free to send them the link to the instructions or the product page. You can also let them know we are here if they need to call for any questions too.

Ruffles: Clarification, please? Which "TSB" are you referring to? Thanks.

I am guessing the TSB is the front upper control arm balljoint issue. The multi-piece arm can leak water into the balljoint through the seams so they will bring your car in and apply a sealant to the seams. If your balljoint is already making noise it means the grease has already washed away and the only fix will be replacing it.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Yes, that was the TSB. I'm always very friendly and upfront with Tesla and have never tried to "slide" anything past them. I know I've made modifications to my car and I'll own any consequence from that. I think they appreciate that attitude and we get along very well. They have always taken care of me and several have commented on how nice my car looks. More than once, I've shown up with a couple boxes of donuts for the staff. It never hurts to make friends :).

I told them about my suspension when I made the appointment and then offered to wait while they did the repairs in case the tech had any questions. Everything was perfectly smooth - until they returned my car. While I was standing at the curb waiting for them to pull it around to me, the tech curbed my wheel right in front of me 😭. I was super nice about it but she still felt horrible. Luckily, they had their paint/detail crew there so they fixed me right up and the repair is perfect. I honestly can't find the rash!

Reactions: Paul8810
HAHAHA! Need more details. Did they apply "sealant" to the balljoint, or did they need to replace it/them?

Thanks!
If it isn't creaking and squeaking, probably just adding sealant. If it is creaking, they'll likely need to replace the whole arm. The arms are very impressive as far as the combination of composite and metal materials so I believe this is just an unforeseen drawback of them not being one piece.

I’ve had the MPP comfort coilovers for a few months now, and I am very pleased. Subjectively MYP’s ride and handling are now better then my previous car (Audi SQ5) Still noisier then old car when hitting bumps, but that may be secondary to lack of engine noise. Leaps and bounds better in all regards when compared to stock suspension.

I’ve had the MPP comfort coilovers for a few months now, and I am very pleased. Subjectively MYP’s ride and handling are now better then my previous car (Audi SQ5) Still noisier then old car when hitting bumps, but that may be secondary to lack of engine noise. Leaps and bounds better in all regards when compared to stock suspension.
Thanks so much for your feedback!! There is certainly a lack of sound deadening on these cars and the silence of an EV doesn't help either. That being said, Audi vehicles tend to feel rock solid construction-wise, even the low-end ones.

Reactions: Kelr316