Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had zero issues with the wheel well lining, and now that you mentioned it, I wonder if there's a wheel well lining difference between the model years? Tesla makes a bajillion changes between the months (weeks) of production and people really don't know or find out until long after they own the car. This could be one of those changes.
Another possibility is that my sound proofing materials may slightly alter how the wheel well lining is in there now.

I was pretty happy with the ride of my 2021 MY, but the bumpy roads were definitely bumpy! After reading everything I could find about ride improvements I decided to purchase the MPP Comfort Coilovers. I’m glad I made the upgrade.

I did my own installation in two parts:

1. I was able to do the rears in my driveway with the car on jack stands. Total time was two hours. 1.5 hours for the first side, and 30 minutes for the second after figuring out exactly what to do the first time around. The rears were pretty easy.
  2. I did the fronts at a DIY auto shop I have access to. There is a spring compressor there and I like that margin of safety when working with these things. The fronts took five hours. Again, 3.5 hours for the first side and 1.5 for the second after learning some lessons.

For the installation, I chose 28mm for the rear perch offset and 60mm for the fronts. I wanted to maintain stock height so I didn’t have to mess with alignment. I was close. The rear currently sits 16.75” from hub to fender, and the front is 16” from hub to center. I’ll be raising the fronts when I get a decent weather day to work on it. I should have gone for 65mm from the start.

A couple tips that others may find useful:

• Taking things apart was pretty straightforward. I followed the MPP instructions with no issues.
  • When adjusting the perch, make sure you end up with the set screw facing outward for easy adjustment later. I did not realize this, but was able to access it by feel with an Allen wrench.
  • This is a two person job. At least it was for me.
  • I struggled during the reassembly trying to get the assembled damper back into position. The top part of the assembled damper would get hung up on the wheel well cover. One option is to remove this cover before you start. A second option, that I chose, was to remove the lower part of the MPP damper. There is a nipple to guide reassembly. Doing this, I was able to get the upper part caught with the four bolts through the frunk, then wiggle the bottom part until I got it to line up and slide together. Then using a floor jack, I was able to make certain the damper was all the way together before tightening down the bolt that held it together.
  • I did the damper adjustments prior to reassembly. One of my front dampers did not give good feedback to where the settings were. I rotated all the way clockwise, then all the way counterclockwise, then all the way clockwise again. That worked and I could then feel each adjustment point.
  • After reading everything in the “Numbers only” thread (Thanks @Pianewman !) I went with 12/12 on the fronts and 12/10 on the rear. I haven’t driven except for the ride home, but the ride was MUCH improved.
  • MPP Comfort Coils NUMBERS ONLY THREAD

• After getting everything back together I went for a test ride. I was very pleased to find no squeaks or abnormalities!

I’m riding on the 20” Induction wheels with the OEM Goodyear F1s. I have 12,500 miles on them. When it is time for new tires, I will go with 255/45R20 All Seasons or All Weather (haven’t decided yet) and gain some sidewall to further improve the ride.

Comparing MPP to its competitors, time and time again I read about the great customer service. I was not disappointed!!! Every question I sent was answered quickly, often within an hour. Jesse from MPP responded with exactly the information I needed. I have not seen this level of service in years!

If anyone is thinking about doing this, I highly recommend MPP!
You mean not Everyone is watching my install video? :) I was able to remove/replace the front with the full top assembly still installed by myself, but it did take a number of different attempts to arrive at a fairly easy method.
Keep in mind that the dampers change a great deal in the cold. I am actually softening mine up a bunch today as here in the Chicago area they feel Much more stiff in the winter. Mine are currently set fairly stiff, 7/7, all around. I'm going to probably set full soft or maybe 12/12.
Also, I think someone else also mentioned this, the ride height will settle over time - maybe 1/4 inch??

Reactions: JonB65 and dfwatt
In case anyone was wondering about weight differences between MPP and stock components. Save 5lbs!

51888925467_5ef9bd9bb7_b.jpg

51890541530_3846acbacc_b.jpg

51889889821_7bbbe4ee2a_b.jpg

51890541550_65a568d0c0_b.jpg

HELP!!! Am I missing something?

I had my coilovers installed by a mechanic, and now I am wanting to play with the adjustments. I was able to set them all except the front rebounds. When I look in the frunk area, the I can’t find the spot for the adjustment tool. The spot where I think it goes is a rubber piece with no hole.

What am I missing?
70810BF7-6D1C-487D-A71C-194299C566AB.jpeg

HELP!!! Am I missing something?

I had my coilovers installed by a mechanic, and now I am wanting to play with the adjustments. I was able to set them all except the front rebounds. When I look in the frunk area, the I can’t find the spot for the adjustment tool. The spot where I think it goes is a rubber piece with no hole.

What am I missing?
View attachment 776961
Pull the rubber cap off. The adjustment is underneath.

And be careful not to drop the adjustment tool while you are doing the adjustment...
Yeah buddy! I love everything about the MPP. I would say the one aspect that Unplugged does better is the adjustment knob for the front rebound. I'd be nice to have a permanent knob.

I'm currently trying 12/12 on the front and 12/12 on the rear. So far, i like it. I think i'll keep it there rather than playing around with it too much.

Reactions: JonB65
We are proud to let everyone know that these kits are now in stock! It was an uphill battle, but we are now able to ship any of our coilovers for the Model 3 or Y the same day as they are ordered!
I love mine more and more with every drive! Currently 12/12 in the front and 12/10 in the rear. I still need to adjust the car up about 1/2" to get closer to stock, but not in a hurry.

Reactions: MountainPass