Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are trading car in all mods like suspension, ppf, tint, wheels worth nothing.
For right buyer you will be happy if you can recover 50%.
If you put that much into customizing your car you are foolish to trade it in. You'll do much better in terms of a private sale. As for 50% recovery on all modifications, that might be an average ballpark number but the MPP coilover kits are worth more than that on resale. Again with the right buyer who knows what they're getting. But you're wasting your time if you're not advertising to the right buyer in the first place

If you put that much into customizing your car you are foolish to trade it in. You'll do much better in terms of a private sale. As for 50% recovery on all modifications, that might be an average ballpark number but the MPP coilover kits are worth more than that on resale. Again with the right buyer who knows what they're getting. But you're wasting your time if you're not advertising to the right buyer in the first place
Can't agree more.
If I modify a car or a truck to my liking I pretty much know its is sunk cost that I most likely will not recover.
When I sold my supercharged Tundra I stripped the truck and sold parts like wheels and exhaust separately. There was no way I was getting anything for that. Just a bonus for next owner.

With Tesla it is a bit different story. You can actually find a person who may appreciate your PPF, wheels, and Coilovers.
But selling car privately is a hassle, lots of scammers out there. I would rather get a bit less and avoid searching a buyer for $60k car.

I usually do not hold cars long enough to worry about PPF, never had a complaint that my bumper or hood had chips on it when I was selling. Though some PPF with mate colors looks absolutely awesome and worth putting it on just for that.

Now with Tesla prices rising like crazy, and me enjoying this car I may dump some cash into MPP Coilovers just to make the ride nicer.
Do I think I will get $4k back? YES! because I bought MY for $49K and used MY's are selling like crazy.

Thanks folks. How much would you say the ride has improved after getting the coilovers installed?

Im on 19" rims, LR, and the ride is tolerable over cracks in the road or expansion joints but still rough, and any evenness in the road makes the ride the opposite of composed. The handling is a bit numb too.
Other reference points I have: previous Forester which was soft but roly-poly, and BMW 328i which was sporty but still composed feeling.

Any online opinion about "How much ...the ride has improved" isn't going to have much value for you. But since you asked, I'd say...yes, noticeable improvement. How much? My 23-year-old son noticed the difference immediately when he was a passenger, my wife hasn't noticed anything.

What IS very noticeable is the car is much better mannered over uneven dips in the road. Overall it's much more stable.

Thanks folks. How much would you say the ride has improved after getting the coilovers installed?

Im on 19" rims, LR, and the ride is tolerable over cracks in the road or expansion joints but still rough, and any evenness in the road makes the ride the opposite of composed. The handling is a bit numb too.
Other reference points I have: previous Forester which was soft but roly-poly, and BMW 328i which was sporty but still composed feeling.
A little bit, definately not a Lexus ride but at least not as jarring

Any online opinion about "How much ...the ride has improved" isn't going to have much value for you. But since you asked, I'd say...yes, noticeable improvement. How much? My 23-year-old son noticed the difference immediately when he was a passenger, my wife hasn't noticed anything.

What IS very noticeable is the car is much better mannered over uneven dips in the road. Overall it's much more stable.
yeah true, better than nothing - can't go for a test drive or something

Just purchased the MPP coilovers for my MYP, still have time to add some stuff, I’m planning on running it at the highest/softest settings. Do I need any of those camber arms or anything or am I fine with stock for the rest?
If you maintain the height of the car exactly stock, then you do not need the adjustable camber arms The adjustable camber arms will allow you to keep the rear wheels square on the road. (I am only certain about the rear wheels... not sure what happens on the front wheels.)

just installed my coilovers and rear camber arms. I was able to adjust the coils off the car easily. Now it needs to be a little lower. Can someone give me a brief tutorial on how to adjust the front and rear height once it's on the car? It's extremely hard to turn the perches.

Thanks!!

just installed my coilovers and rear camber arms. I was able to adjust the coils off the car easily. Now it needs to be a little lower. Can someone give me a brief tutorial on how to adjust the front and rear height once it's on the car? It's extremely hard to turn the perches.

Thanks!!
For the fonts, I put the car on jack stands, remove the wheels, loosen the set screws on the spring perches, and use the MPP wrench. They are a little hard to turn but it's not too bad. For the rear, I remove the wheels and drop the control arm and remove the perch from the spring. It's easier to adjust them off the car and then put them back together.

For the fonts, I put the car on jack stands, remove the wheels, loosen the set screws on the spring perches, and use the MPP wrench. They are a little hard to turn but it's not too bad. For the rear, I remove the wheels and drop the control arm and remove the perch from the spring. It's easier to adjust them off the car and then put them back together.
might be a stupid question by the lower the distance between the bottom of the front perch the lower the car correct? I have it at 65mm and it sits high. Thanks for the help!

Height-Adjustment.jpg

After the installation of my MPP coilovers, when turning at low speeds, there is an audible "ping" noise. It looks like when I turn the tires, the springs rotate which causes the noise.

I have looked at other chats for a fix, but the consensus is that it's something that we'll just have to live with.

Anyone here experience the same thing?

After the installation of my MPP coilovers, when turning at low speeds, there is an audible "ping" noise. It looks like when I turn the tires, the springs rotate which causes the noise.

I have looked at other chats for a fix, but the consensus is that it's something that we'll just have to live with.

I have, but I attribute it as normal, I also hear it when one front wheel goes up an incline and the other doesn't. Then the Ping! Ping! starts up. Just one or two though.

Reactions: Redline_

I literally went to my installer today about this, after taking it to the service center (worried that it was an upper control arm issue). Both the service center and installer agreed that it was likely spring binding, which apparently is a relatively common issue with aftermarket springs. How it was explained to me: as a spring compresses, it twists or rotates. If the spring isn't allowed to rotate as it compresses for whatever reason, it can skip and cause that pinging noise. Not really a safety issue and maybe a performance issue if you're racing (but not a concern for street use). @MountainPass correct me if I'm wrong with this explanation.

Installer said they would reach out to MPP about it to see if they have any advice. Otherwise, they would install thrust washers (or bearings), which allow the springs to rotate more freely as they compress.

Others with more knowledge of aftermarket suspension can chime in, as I'm just relaying info that was given to me by the service tech (shout out to Dustin at the Lisle, IL SC), and my coilover installers.

• Informative
Reactions: Redline_
I literally went to my installer today about this, after taking it to the service center (worried that it was an upper control arm issue). Both the service center and installer agreed that it was likely spring binding, which apparently is a relatively common issue with aftermarket springs. How it was explained to me: as a spring compresses, it twists or rotates. If the spring isn't allowed to rotate as it compresses for whatever reason, it can skip and cause that pinging noise. Not really a safety issue and maybe a performance issue if you're racing (but not a concern for street use). @MountainPass correct me if I'm wrong with this explanation.

Installer said they would reach out to MPP about it to see if they have any advice. Otherwise, they would install thrust washers (or bearings), which allow the springs to rotate more freely as they compress.

Others with more knowledge of aftermarket suspension can chime in, as I'm just relaying info that was given to me by the service tech (shout out to Dustin at the Lisle, IL SC), and my coilover installers.
I wonder if multiple adjustments in the same direction of the spring perch could cause this? You'd be "twisting" the spring a bit? I haven't experienced this but I've adjusted my car up and down.