Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if multiple adjustments in the same direction of the spring perch could cause this? You'd be "twisting" the spring a bit? I haven't experienced this but I've adjusted my car up and down.
I'm not certain (low level of knowledge on my end), but I have about ~3k miles on the coilovers and haven't adjusted the height since it was installed. Will update as I learn more though.

After the installation of my MPP coilovers, when turning at low speeds, there is an audible "ping" noise. It looks like when I turn the tires, the springs rotate which causes the noise.

I have looked at other chats for a fix, but the consensus is that it's something that we'll just have to live with.

Anyone here experience the same thing?
Mine same, took back to installer and it helped but still there or coming back

Thanks for the replies. All align with what i've been seeing and what my installer said. I'm surprised that this happens so sporadically and so often and not addressed in any way by @MountainPass. I have taken it back to my installer several times, costing me extra money to try and fix. They have tried adjusting it with no success.

My installer has done several KW coilover installs on Teslas and other cars, and shared with me that he sees in roughly about one-third have this problem.

I'm happy with the ride, but very, very annoyed by the noise.

Reactions: whisperingshad
Thanks for the replies. All align with what i've been seeing and what my installer said. I'm surprised that this happens so sporadically and so often and not addressed in any way by @MountainPass. I have taken it back to my installer several times, costing me extra money to try and fix. They have tried adjusting it with no success.

My installer has done several KW coilover installs on Teslas and other cars, and shared with me that he sees in roughly about one-third have this problem.

I'm happy with the ride, but very, very annoyed by the noise.

Thanks for the link. I tried to search for duplicate chats before posting, but I didn't see this one.

This was very informative. For those interested, here's a summary of the helpful posts:

“The spring needs to not move at all, and we have found often that customers (or shops) are spraying lubricants all over them during the installation. Making sure they are clean and dry should resolve it, and the dirt and dust from driving on the road will also help to keep the spring still as time goes on.”

“I can confirm that dousing the perches in brake cleaner on subsequent days completely eliminated the pinging.”

“Wanted to update this thread. I appreciate Jesse sticking with me through all of this. I took the coilovers off and sprayed the mating surfaces between the spring and the perches with brake cleaner. Wiped them down thoroughly. Put them back on, and the springs stopped moving by a lot. I then sprayed them down the next time I had my wheels off. This time, the remaining movement had has gone away. Looks like any grease or lubricant that comes into contact can cause the spring to move. Spraying it down with brake cleaner has solved the issue for me.”

Reactions: mhcrowder
Thanks for the link. I tried to search for duplicate chats before posting, but I didn't see this one.

This was very informative. For those interested, here's a summary of the helpful posts:

“The spring needs to not move at all, and we have found often that customers (or shops) are spraying lubricants all over them during the installation. Making sure they are clean and dry should resolve it, and the dirt and dust from driving on the road will also help to keep the spring still as time goes on.”

“I can confirm that dousing the perches in brake cleaner on subsequent days completely eliminated the pinging.”

“Wanted to update this thread. I appreciate Jesse sticking with me through all of this. I took the coilovers off and sprayed the mating surfaces between the spring and the perches with brake cleaner. Wiped them down thoroughly. Put them back on, and the springs stopped moving by a lot. I then sprayed them down the next time I had my wheels off. This time, the remaining movement had has gone away. Looks like any grease or lubricant that comes into contact can cause the spring to move. Spraying it down with brake cleaner has solved the issue for me.”
@tom @ eas

Thanks for the summary. I had that question when I was evaluating MPP or Unplugged coilovers. The Unplugged had Teflon rings and I wondered why the MPP didn't and asked Jesse and he replied it wasn't needed but didn't go into details. I figured I would just follow the instructions to the letter and since it didn't mention any lubrication, I didn't use any and I haven't had any issues. I guess I lucked out because my first impulse is usually to apply anti-seize or grease to things.

Reactions: miracj and JonB65
I use these mud flaps from Nansure that I got on Amazon. You can see from the first picture they are much shorter than the factory ones (factory left, Nansure right) BUT they are hard plastic and don't flex. I still hit them on occasion on some speed bumps and when I do, they break (which is why I have 3 boxes of them lol).

Nansure mud flaps

20220215_171527.jpg

20220215_170829.jpg

Reactions: Simans82

Just to give an update, the sound is going away on its own! As i continue to drive it, the sound isn't as apparent and at times it is non-existent.

This adds credence to the suggestion that it is/was due to excess lubricant.

Glad i procrastinated and didn't pay money to clean it all away!