Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MountainPass Performance Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Nooooooope. Nope. Aftermarket roll bars are for tuning balance front and rear. Oversteer. Understeer. Not for body roll.

Stiffen the dampers.
Uh... Sway bars or Anti-Roll Bars are designed to reduce body roll by stiffening the tension between the left and right. That tension in effect does have influence on how the car behaves in a turn though. If you have a super thick rear sway but none in the front, of course you would have more oversteer as the rear is much stiffer. A thick front and no rear will have understeer. That being said, having both aftermarket front and THICK rear sway bar significantly reduce body roll and allow for a more neutral car without inducing understeer. In many cases a lot of companies actually recommend running an aftermarket rear bar only in conjunction with factory front bar so that the conservative understeer of most AWD setups are made to be more neutral.

• Informative
Reactions: Silence88
Uh... Sway bars or Anti-Roll Bars are designed to reduce body roll by stiffening the tension between the left and right. That tension in effect does have influence on how the car behaves in a turn though. If you have a super thick rear sway but none in the front, of course you would have more oversteer as the rear is much stiffer. A thick front and no rear will have understeer. That being said, having both aftermarket front and THICK rear sway bar significantly reduce body roll and allow for a more neutral car without inducing understeer. In many cases a lot of companies actually recommend running an aftermarket rear bar only in conjunction with factory front bar so that the conservative understeer of most AWD setups are made to be more neutral.
Yes, of course antroll bars affect roll. But the proper place of aftermarket rollbars in the process of tuning a car is in tuning for balance after the rest of the suspension is set, not for eliminating roll right away. You already have a perfectly serviceable rollbar. Don't jump ahead.

Reactions: dfwatt
I just had a set of MPP Comfort Adjustable coilovers installed on my 2021 AWD LR model Y, picked it up Thursday during a snowstorm and had an hour long drive home. Initial thoughts were that it was a bit smoother, more controlled but not a huge leap in overall comfort. Another drive today for an hour or so around town, and I thought I'd give it a small adjustment to 12/10 in the rear to see if it improved things, as it seems many people choose that setting. I had asked the shop to set everything to 12. Imagine my surprise when I found the rear rebound was set to maybe 3 or 4! Uh oh, check the rear compression, also set really stiff. Time to check everything I guess, and they were all set somewhere between 3-7. I think the shop must have thought I meant set them to 12 from full soft, not from full stiff. So I set my fronts to 12/12 and rear to 12/10 from full stiff and took another drive.

Revolutionary! I thought initially that the new parts were a little better, but clearly there are limits to what you can do with such a heavy car short of changing geometry etc. I was wrong. The problem was the shocks were set really stiff, and not the same values at each corner from what I felt. Setting everything correctly made the ride so much smoother and composed, many smaller bumps, small potholes and sunken manhole covers almost completely disappeared. Frost heaves and wide cracks that used to cause the car to porpoise front to rear are must more controlled, and less intrusive. That's probably the worst part of the stock suspension is that bucking back and forth feeling, and it is so much better already. Larger bumps are still felt but it doesn't feel like the whole car crashes and shudders over them. The ride still feels pretty sporty and grippy, a little more body roll, but actually feels a bit lighter on its feet somehow. So far I am really impressed, I can't wait to drive it more to experience the improvements over time.

I just had a set of MPP Comfort Adjustable coilovers installed on my 2021 AWD LR model Y, picked it up Thursday during a snowstorm and had an hour long drive home. Initial thoughts were that it was a bit smoother, more controlled but not a huge leap in overall comfort. Another drive today for an hour or so around town, and I thought I'd give it a small adjustment to 12/10 in the rear to see if it improved things, as it seems many people choose that setting. I had asked the shop to set everything to 12. Imagine my surprise when I found the rear rebound was set to maybe 3 or 4! Uh oh, check the rear compression, also set really stiff. Time to check everything I guess, and they were all set somewhere between 3-7. I think the shop must have thought I meant set them to 12 from full soft, not from full stiff. So I set my fronts to 12/12 and rear to 12/10 from full stiff and took another drive.

Revolutionary! I thought initially that the new parts were a little better, but clearly there are limits to what you can do with such a heavy car short of changing geometry etc. I was wrong. The problem was the shocks were set really stiff, and not the same values at each corner from what I felt. Setting everything correctly made the ride so much smoother and composed, many smaller bumps, small potholes and sunken manhole covers almost completely disappeared. Frost heaves and wide cracks that used to cause the car to porpoise front to rear are must more controlled, and less intrusive. That's probably the worst part of the stock suspension is that bucking back and forth feeling, and it is so much better already. Larger bumps are still felt but it doesn't feel like the whole car crashes and shudders over them. The ride still feels pretty sporty and grippy, a little more body roll, but actually feels a bit lighter on its feet somehow. So far I am really impressed, I can't wait to drive it more to experience the improvements over time.
That's great to hear. Who did the install?

Thinking about pulling the trigger on these. The shop installing mine recommended getting the 1.75 lift to go with the comfort suspension to maintain the stock height. Has anyone done this, and does anyone have any regrets changing the suspension? Please any info will help. Ive also heard some complain about noise coming from the suspension after changing it out not necessarily the mountain pass one.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on these. The shop installing mine recommended getting the 1.75 lift to go with the comfort suspension to maintain the stock height. Has anyone done this, and does anyone have any regrets changing the suspension? Please any info will help. Ive also heard some complain about noise coming from the suspension after changing it out not necessarily the mountain pass one.
I bought these on my previous Y and kept it at stock height. The suspension was smoother and nicer but not as hyped up as I was hoping for. Would I do it again? Not sure, if it costs was lower around $500 lower I'd do it but being near $3k for parts it's really pushing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gbee
The Comfort Suspension will get you within ~10mm of the stock height, so I don't really feel the lift kit would be needed.

Doubt you will have any regrets, it rides much nicer than the stock suspension and I never had any sort of abnormal noises on mine.

Reactions: JonB65 and Gbee
Curious why they think retaining stock ride height which is pretty high frankly is worth spending all that money and adding a significant complexity. I believe that the mountain pass kit can get within a centimeter of stock ride height which is basically Performance ride height. I just helped my daughter to purchase a performance Model Y. It sits pretty high. Rather than talking to a shop that probably knows not a whole lot about the suspension kit or Teslas why don't you reach out to Mountain Pass and get their opinion based on your use and needs.

I've been VERY happy with my MPP Comfort Adjustables. They are setup to be sporty but not overly harsh. I definitely went to lower the vehicle as much as I could comfortably but still retain its usability. WAY better than stock in terms of comfort and performance. This is the way an MYP SHOULD have come stock.

kezHkJe.jpg