TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mounted MA EZ-Pass behind front grill: here's how

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ADN_ModelS, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

I mounted my MA EZ-Pass behind the front grill of my Model S, so I thought I would share my technique for other's benefit. As a side note, I hate the way that EZ-Passes look when mounted on the inside of the windshield, and I've heard that the coating on the windshield gets in the way of it functioning.

Two quick photos of exactly what the MA EZ-Pass looks like. So you can get a sense of the dimensions.
    IMG_1144.jpg IMG_1145.jpg

First I removed the section of the front grill/cone based on the technique detailed in prior posts here (using a credit card to pop the hooks that hold it in... quite easy)
    IMG_1147.jpg

More detail of it coming off
    IMG_1148.jpg

Here you can see that the transponder is too large to fit into the hole without sliding it behind the cone first. My first idea was to mount it on the back of the piece I removed, and simply replace the piece. But it was clear at this point that the transponder was going to be too large. So, my idea was to mount it to the piece I removed, but bump it out enough to clear the tabs that hold the piece I removed in the cone.
    IMG_1149.jpg

To bump it out, I used a piece of foam weather seal that I had from an old weather sealing project. The key here is that it goes out far enough to clear the hooks that clip the piece into the cone. This way I could slide the transponder/piece combination into the hole, but it wouldn't pop off once resealed.
    IMG_1173.jpg

I used command strip velcro to hold the transponder + foam to the cone piece. I did this so if I needed to move it up/down/sideways it would be easy (plus it gave me a few more mm of clearance).
    IMG_1174.jpg

Here you see the combined unit. Note how the transponder is mounted "up" higher than the top of the cone piece and out ahead of the clips. This way it will fit up and into the space behind the cone.
    IMG_1175.jpg

And, finally, here is a very hard to capture shot of the unit being replaced. I had to slide it "up and into" place, to keep the transponder attached.
    IMG_1177.jpg

Hope that's helpful for anyone else who attempts this project.

2. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

That is excellent, thanks for documenting the procedure. Two questions: is that the Signature style nose cone with the lip (it looks like it), or is that the Production smooth cone? And second, can the transponder be successfully read from nside the nose cone?

3. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Thanks for the post. Good solution. Assume you've successfully tested this by driving through a toll booth?

Now we just need someone to do this with the one-piece nose cone that's being delivered on all production cars. Any volunteers?

4. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

ADN_ModelS great post. Here's my suggestion:

frunk suggestion.JPG

Happy motoring.

5. artsci

artsci Sponsor

It won't work there. When the frunk lid is down it will be under metal rendering it inoperable.

6. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I see...

7. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

Bad news... I went through the toll booth today, and it didn't seem to register. I understand that there is a front license plate mounted option, and I'm thinking that perhaps that might work better (mounted behind the nose cone). Side note: I'm driving without a front plate... I also hate those :)... so mounting to the front plate is not an option either. I'm going to deal with it again this weekend.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

9. NJS1207

NJS1207 Member

Thanks for working on this issue. I think the front license plate mounted transponders are quite a bit longer, but much narrower, so it might be a better fit anyway.

10. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I'm surprised that it didn't work. It may have something to do with the horizontal orientation or that it doesn't protrude enough beyond the metal frunk lid. The plastic should not block the signal.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Would simply holding it up through the Pano roof (opening it of course) work? I rarely need the EZ Pass.

12. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

I suggest going with my solution because the bonnet may act like a large antenna array. If that does not work then go with Bonnie's idea.p of holding the EZ pass out the window.

13. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

You could try turning it upside down, making the antenna for the transponder farther from the frunk lip.

14. NJS1207

NJS1207 Member

What sort of signal does Homelink send out? If that is not impeded by the plastic nosecone, it seems like the EZ pass should not be either.

15. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

Upside down won't work, it has to face "up". That said, I think your idea of lowering it may be just the trick. Will try this weekend (this is going to cost me a lot in tolls).

16. tdelta1000

tdelta1000 Active Member

Keep us posted because your efforts may result in a solution for all. And oh... post some pics...please.

17. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

I moved the transponder down 1/4 inch, and went though the toll booth.... And it WORKED! Super exited.

There is a chrome strip above the punch out, and I think when it was mounted higher it was blocked by that strip.

18. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Figured it was something like that. This was the best Model S news of the day!:) Thanks for your persistence on behalf of all of us. Now we just need someone to try this with the new production nose cone, although I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work with it as well.

19. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Yes that is great news, and now Pennsylvania needs to adopt the smaller transponder! Though perhaps with the new one-piece nosecone, you could just slap the velcro on the inside of the code and be done with it, no matter the size of the transponder.

20. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

"Super exited"!!! I just noticed my typo. I know it's weird to think your own post is funny, but that is a great double entendre/miss-spelling!

-A