Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounted wrong size wheels - they’re now permanently stuck to the car. Disaster [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are not! Due to the holiday, I’ve been unable to spend time, but I’m out of ideas and energy. I’m dropping it at a shop next week who says they’re willing to spend some time trying, but if they’re not able I’ll ask them to cut them off. If they don’t want to be responsible, I’ll be buying an angle grinder and try to slowly get one them off. Concerned about breaking something else and needing it to be towed, but fingers crossed the shop can figure it out.
Dude, worse case you can just unscrew the whole spindle assembly and get ones off a wreck for a few hundred each corner.

After you get the spindle/uprights off you can go to a machine shop and get the spindle pressed out. I wrote this on page one but I guess it wasn't relevant till now lol.
I mentioned this earlier, but the entire upright does not need to be removed to accomplish this.

Remove Axle Nut x1
Remove Hub Retaining bolts x3
Remove Brake Line
Remove Brake Caliper Bolts x2

With all that unbolted the entire Hub with brake rotor and caliper should all come off together. Might still need to use a puller to push out the axle from the hub. Then the entire assembly could be taken to a shop with a big press.

I mentioned this earlier, but the entire upright does not need to be removed to accomplish this.

Remove Axle Nut x1
Remove Brake Line

With all that unbolted the entire Hub with brake rotor and caliper should all come off together. Might still need to use a puller to push out the axle from the hub. Then the entire assembly could be taken to a shop with a big press
Ok so after removing the caliper bolts please how do you remove the caliper?

The caliper is mounted to the buckle assembly that houses the hub bearing
So?

Remove Brake Line
Those caliper bolts thread into the caliper itself, and go through the knuckle.
GUID-A35AA111-F01D-4806-A36E-C9E7D5C4E3C1-online.jpg

Remove Axle Nut x1
Remove Brake Line

With all that unbolted the entire Hub with brake rotor and caliper should all come off together. Might still need to use a puller to push out the axle from the hub. Then the entire assembly could be taken to a shop with a big press.
I suggested the same thing toward the beginning of this thread, and attached a link to the repair manual. Not sure why OP doesn’t think it’s a viable solution.

Reactions: TacoSteve
The Rotor shield is the only thing I can think of that might hang it up a bit. Just have to be careful while removing it.
I don't think the shields would present much of an issue. They mount around the hubs quite neatly. And even if they interfere a bit, those are thin and could be bent/cut/otherwise sacrificed.
GUID-CE69998F-E407-4A73-9CD4-2D64E2B091D3-online.jpg
GUID-2D6AFA37-A0B3-4E87-B613-D653713EA3B7-online.jpg

Disconnecting the rear parking brake harness will probably be a bit more annoying, with the wheel still on.

Reactions: TacoSteve

Remove Axle Nut x1
Remove Brake Line

I like this idea quite a lot if there is room behind the wheel to do it. Great solution.

Indeed, the caliper, rotor, wheel, and hub can be unbolted and taken to a machine shop with “a big press”.

But OP can just buy “a big press” from Harbor Freight for $90 and DIY. Or see any body shop with similar hydraulic puller

I would take to a machine shop . If the OP got it that far than they are almost home and you can easily destroy something on a press.

The wheels are off! In truly anticlimactic fashion, I found a shop who works on heavy duty trucks who was willing to give it a shot. He said he used a 14 lb 4-foot sledge and had them off in 20 minutes…

This is the exact tool the other shops used for hours with no luck. My running theory at this point is that I left the car there for 2 days without it being touched in the cold, and that the temperature helped make it easier. All the previous attempts were made after driving the car.

Here are photos of a wheel. Definitely a little scuffed, but no real damage that should prevent them from being used. I did plan on selling these since they’re of no use to me. I’m going to bring them to a wheel shop to verify they’re not damaged and to have them rebalanced before I attempt to sell them. I want to make sure they’re in good shape. Definitely won’t be selling to anyone with a performance model…

So overall, a very boring conclusion. I appreciate everyone’s support and advice and ideas throughout this ordeal. I’m kind of disappointed there was no dramatic finish, but I’m glad to have them off and to have these shenanigans behind me.

Attachments

• DF164058-504F-49EF-B9EC-A307DE7E993E.jpeg
    DF164058-504F-49EF-B9EC-A307DE7E993E.jpeg
    598.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 788D5EA8-ABD8-44C3-9F8A-0B7E782BB8F3.jpeg
    788D5EA8-ABD8-44C3-9F8A-0B7E782BB8F3.jpeg
    534.1 KB · Views: 193