Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounted wrong size wheels - they’re now permanently stuck to the car. Disaster [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The wheels are off! In truly anticlimactic fashion, I found a shop who works on heavy duty trucks who was willing to give it a shot. He said he used a 14 lb 4-foot sledge and had them off in 20 minutes…

This is the exact tool the other shops used for hours with no luck. My running theory at this point is that I left the car there for 2 days without it being touched in the cold, and that the temperature helped make it easier. All the previous attempts were made after driving the car.

Here are photos of a wheel. Definitely a little scuffed, but no real damage that should prevent them from being used. I did plan on selling these since they’re of no use to me. I’m going to bring them to a wheel shop to verify they’re not damaged and to have them rebalanced before I attempt to sell them. I want to make sure they’re in good shape. Definitely won’t be selling to anyone with a performance model…

So overall, a very boring conclusion. I appreciate everyone’s support and advice and ideas throughout this ordeal. I’m kind of disappointed there was no dramatic finish, but I’m glad to have them off and to have these shenanigans behind me.
So glad you finally got them off with not too much more trouble. Looks like those wheels have the step in the bore to accommodate the Performance model.

You really should disclose what you had to do to get them off if you sell them. The next owner should at least know what has been done to them so far.

Reactions: martyb126
So glad you finally got them off with not too much more trouble. Looks like those wheels have the step in the bore to accommodate the Performance model.

Would be funny if the mechanic who removed them was super scrawny compared to the other guys that tried the same sledge hammer previously.

From the aftermath photo they do look like they have a step for the performance lip, but judging by the scuffed area in the bore it looks too shallow of a relief.

See this photo for comparison

Attachments

• IMG-20220503-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20220503-WA0000.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: tm1v2 and mpgxsvcd
When it doesn't work get a bigger hammer, when that doesn't work get bigger arms!

Super happy no real damage was done, good thing you didn't have to take off the hubs and all that, would've cost thousands! It's pretty amazing how tightly the wheels were on the car when we see how little deformation there was in the center.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Would be funny if the mechanic who removed them was super scrawny compared to the other guys that tried the same sledge hammer previously.

From the aftermath photo they do look like they have a step for the performance lip, but judging by the scuffed area in the bore it looks too shallow of a relief.

See this photo for comparison
There being some kind of lip kind of explains why it looked seemingly flush after install and how it might get stuck. I commented earlier that if there was no lip it shouldn't have been possible to install it so it looks flush and aluminum likely doesn't deform enough to make up for the lip.

Reactions: tm1v2
Okay; so I just saw this reel on FB. Was this your car?

AC Auto = Wakefield Mass. @martyb126 stated location "MA".....

And my friends and family wonder why I dont do social media, lol.

At least there is a video of them getting them off on that blurb.

Anyway @martyb126 I want to do two things here.

1. Echo everyone else who said "Glad you got them off, without what appears to be a bunch of damage to the vehicle".

2. Thank you profusely for being a good sport about all this, rolling with all the suggestions, advice, jokes etc, and also coming back and posting a resolution.

You have been a member here since 2020, but I hope you stick around and interact more. This has been one of the best, most entertaining and informative threads I can remember here, and the lack of drama was great.

Okay; so I just saw this reel on FB. Was this your car?

Wow, and after everything we actually got to see the wheels come off. I take back everything I said!