Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting a Yaesu FTM-400XDR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I am a ham radio operator (KJ7BIH) and installed my Yaesu FTM-400XDR in my Model X. There are a few tricks I would like to share.
First, consider that there are several body styles for the Model X. Mine was built in late 2016 as a 2017 model. It has a large (rain-gutter-sized) channel through the "firewall" into the main cabin. I could not find a good place on the rear hatch so I used a trunk-lip mount on the frunk and routed the antenna cable through that channel. Easy. The radio is attached to the hump away from the passenger's feet. I ran the 12VDC power to the trailer brake connector which supplies enough current to run the radio at full wattage. The control head needed to be up in my face (kinda) and I chose a ProClip customized for the Model X. It attaches to the air vent just to the right of the instrument console. Unfortunately, it places the radio too far to the right and too low--by about 3/4 inch--just enough to cut off important nav info on the main screen. After several months of frustration, I used a hacksaw to separate the two parts of the Proclip (which were epoxied together) and reglued them into the correct position so as to be easier to read, not be anywhere close to the parked steering wheel controls, and not block either screen. I have considered mounting an external speaker, but the radio can be easily heard in its current location. The microphone is attached with an RJ45 extension cable and lives in the back of the center console.

Attachments

• IMG_6187.jpg
    IMG_6187.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_6188.jpg
    IMG_6188.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_5862.jpg
    IMG_5862.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 209
Thanks for the information and pictures. I had not really considered installing a radio in my 2019 Model X, but now will consider it. How is the radio environment, any noise from the inverters, or any issues from your RF getting into Tesla systems? Have you tried HF as well as VHF/UHF?
Thanks, K6BCD.

Thank you for sharing the information and pictures. I received my Model 3 about 3 weeks ago and am pondering how to install my FTM-400XDR retained from the commuter rig I traded in as part of the purchase of the Model 3. The Model 3 interior is a bit different (if no more spartan) than the Model X, and I do not think a front antenna on the frunk lid is going to work. So, I am looking at a lip mount of some sort on the trunk lid or drilling the a 3/4-inch hole in the trunk lid to accommodate a Motorola NMO mount for the antenna. Of course, cable routing may be interesting there too. I was thinking the radio body may end up in the frunk with a short power cabling run directly to the 12 VDC battery terminals. I need to start digging into this and get it done, but the information you have provided has sparked some ideas. Again, I am grateful!
KG4Y

Thanks for the information and pictures. I had not really considered installing a radio in my 2019 Model X, but now will consider it. How is the radio environment, any noise from the inverters, or any issues from your RF getting into Tesla systems? Have you tried HF as well as VHF/UHF?
Thanks, K6BCD.
I have not noticed any noises whatsoever with my Kenwood TM-V71A, the Tesla is surprisingly clean. I mounted the control head inside the cubby under the display. Speaker in the space in the rear of the center console, under the driver's right arm. The radio was mounted in the rear under the deck of my five passenger. For the antenna, I drilled through the plastic spline appliqué and used one of those long throw NMO mounts. The only tricky part was climbing up through an open FWD to remove the antenna for the car wash. It worked great for me in my 2018. I have not determined how to do it on my new 2022. I may not to re-install the radio. The antenna could be the same, but not sure where the control head can be mounted in the 2022.

I did not try any HF.

IMG_7203.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing the information and pictures. I received my Model 3 about 3 weeks ago and am pondering how to install my FTM-400XDR retained from the commuter rig I traded in as part of the purchase of the Model 3. The Model 3 interior is a bit different (if no more spartan) than the Model X, and I do not think a front antenna on the frunk lid is going to work. So, I am looking at a lip mount of some sort on the trunk lid or drilling the a 3/4-inch hole in the trunk lid to accommodate a Motorola NMO mount for the antenna. Of course, cable routing may be interesting there too. I was thinking the radio body may end up in the frunk with a short power cabling run directly to the 12 VDC battery terminals. I need to start digging into this and get it done, but the information you have provided has sparked some ideas. Again, I am grateful!
KG4Y
I've got a 2021 model S, but the same trunk lip mount should work. I am using a Diamond K400C for my Yaesu FTM-400.

Certainly what I've done on prior cars isn't going to work here, i.e. the mag mount. Well, perhaps not, I added a metal plate onto the Volvo C40 roof by way of ppf, but I only have a small V/U antenna on it. I haven't considered how to do an installation on our MX yet and I never tried it on our old MYLR, but I haven't been very "radioactive" lately, so it hasn't been a priority. I will review the above again when I'm ready. For now, I can always put a "handy-scratchy" in the car.

Certainly what I've done on prior cars isn't going to work here, i.e. the mag mount. Well, perhaps not, I added a metal plate onto the Volvo C40 roof by way of ppf, but I only have a small V/U antenna on it. I haven't considered how to do an installation on our MX yet and I never tried it on our old MYLR, but I haven't been very "radioactive" lately, so it hasn't been a priority. I will review the above again when I'm ready. For now, I can always put a "handy-scratchy" in the car.
I was using a Yaesu FT5D in the MS for a while. Having an external antenna makes a huge difference , even if using a HT. The MX and MS are aluminum sheet metal so a mag mount will not stick, and it’s not a good ground plane. An external antenna even without a normal ground plane under it will still outperform a small HT whip antenna.

Reactions: Falcon73