Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting an iPad Mini 5 in the 2021+ Tesla Model 3... found the perfect solution.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

We all have this problem, right? The Tesla touchscreen is really great, but the navigation app isn't close to a Waze-level production. For those of us commuting a fair amount of distance, we still have the phones or iPads out on our laps to navigate running Waze or Google Maps to handle traffic, construction, re-routes and speed traps.

DtotheW over in the Model Y forum came up with a fairly slick way to mount an iPad in a pre-2021 model, but for those of us with the 2021 refresh Model 3, it would obscure the phones placed in the wireless charging pad as this part of the console no longer conceals the phone(s) with a hinged cover.

I really didn't like the idea of an iPad hanging down from the touchscreen and a) obscuring my line of sight to my phone(s) and b) being at sort of a weird viewing angle. I started rooting around looking for a simple, non destructive solution and by jove, I think I've found it! I present the next-gen 2021 version of DtotheW's pioneering work.

This is for a Mini 5 but would work with the new Mini, I'd imagine, or an old one. It's the perfect size iPad as it is the same width as the console. It rests on the sliding cover's 'lip" and all you need to do as place a magnetic disc in the location shown. It is low profile and slides right underneath. Then you place the articulating magnetic mount (designed for phones) and stick one more magnetic plate on the back of your iPad cover. Voila! As clean as it comes and and a perfect angle not only for viewing but for tapping on the screen with your finger.

Want to keep it charged? Use a USB-C to lightning cord plugged into one of the two USB-C charging ports and run it along the right side of the console as shown. You'll never see it from the front seats. To make it even cleaner I'm going to order a 90 degree angle lightning cord/USB-C so that you won't see the cord dangling away from the iPad as shown in some of the pictures.

Zero installation, just stick a couple of magnetic discs on your console and iPad, place the mount there, and you're good to go. Best of all it removes completely in about a second.

Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_1122.JPEG
    IMG_1122.JPEG
    376.5 KB · Views: 2,764
  • IMG_1123.JPEG
    IMG_1123.JPEG
    419.3 KB · Views: 3,578
  • IMG_1124.JPEG
    IMG_1124.JPEG
    288 KB · Views: 1,523
  • IMG_1125.JPEG
    IMG_1125.JPEG
    310.4 KB · Views: 1,426
  • IMG_1126.JPEG
    IMG_1126.JPEG
    286.2 KB · Views: 1,459
  • IMG_1127.JPEG
    IMG_1127.JPEG
    306.9 KB · Views: 1,439
  • IMG_1128.JPEG
    IMG_1128.JPEG
    321.5 KB · Views: 1,425
  • IMG_1129.JPEG
    IMG_1129.JPEG
    362.9 KB · Views: 1,478
  • IMG_1131.JPEG
    IMG_1131.JPEG
    381.7 KB · Views: 1,617
  • IMG_1133.JPEG
    IMG_1133.JPEG
    302 KB · Views: 1,659
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC

Yep, that's the product I have considered purchasing if it fits, but it doesn't. It also doesn't provide any means for the iPad to be charged. Hence why I tried to come up with something better!

We all have this problem, right? The Tesla touchscreen is really great, but the navigation app isn't close to a Waze-level production. For those of us commuting a fair amount of distance, we still have the phones or iPads out on our laps to navigate running Waze or Google Maps to handle traffic, construction, re-routes and speed traps.

DtotheW over in the Model Y forum came up with a fairly slick way to mount an iPad in a pre-2021 model, but for those of us with the 2021 refresh Model 3, it would obscure the phones placed in the wireless charging pad as this part of the console no longer conceals the phone(s) with a hinged cover.

I really didn't like the idea of an iPad hanging down from the touchscreen and a) obscuring my line of sight to my phone(s) and b) being at sort of a weird viewing angle. I started rooting around looking for a simple, non destructive solution and by jove, I think I've found it! I present the next-gen 2021 version of DtotheW's pioneering work.

This is for a Mini 5 but would work with the new Mini, I'd imagine, or an old one. It's the perfect size iPad as it is the same width as the console. It rests on the sliding cover's 'lip" and all you need to do as place a magnetic disc in the location shown. It is low profile and slides right underneath. Then you place the articulating magnetic mount (designed for phones) and stick one more magnetic plate on the back of your iPad cover. Voila! As clean as it comes and and a perfect angle not only for viewing but for tapping on the screen with your finger.

Want to keep it charged? Use a USB-C to lightning cord plugged into one of the two USB-C charging ports and run it along the right side of the console as shown. You'll never see it from the front seats. To make it even cleaner I'm going to order a 90 degree angle lightning cord/USB-C so that you won't see the cord dangling away from the iPad as shown in some of the pictures.

Zero installation, just stick a couple of magnetic discs on your console and iPad, place the mount there, and you're good to go. Best of all it removes completely in about a second.

Hope you enjoy.
Very creative!

I may try, but I wonder if I would miss the storage compartment I can't access if the iPad covers it. I use that compartment much more than the other one because I find the bigger one awkward to open while driving - it requires some some major range of motion exercises to open it.

Hope you enjoy.
I also like the way you have your phone mounted. Can you please help me with the details of that mount?