Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting an iphone magsafe charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

user212_nr

Aug 26, 2019
US
I was thinking of buying an apple branded magsafe charger and somehow (velcro?) mounting it on the model 3 somewhere. I guess in the space in the console under the screen.

I' wondering if anyone has done this, or any suggestions.

I see there are a few non-apple chargers. Not sure the pros and cons, but seems better to use an apple magsafe.

I was thinking of buying an apple branded magsafe charger and somehow (velcro?) mounting it on the model 3 somewhere. I guess in the space in the console under the screen.

I see there are a few non-apple chargers. Not sure the pros and cons, but seems better to use an apple magsafe.
If you wait, there may be accessories to hold the MagSafe charger in a mount. Never know.

I have an Xvida Qi charger with magnetic mount, that works fine mounted to the back of the display, and rotated around the upper left corner of the display.
Magnetic Qi Wireless Charging Suction Mount for Smartphones

If you wait, there may be accessories to hold the MagSafe charger in a mount. Never know.

I am waiting, as Apple doesn't have them in stock and the ones on Amazon seem like cheap knockoffs. I've heard some good explanations why you don't want to purchase "knockoff" chargers (wireless or not).

I'm thinking to try some kind of adhesive (starting from the weaker to the stronger) and put it in the console under the screen.

I wish somebody came up with a mount that places your phone right next to the touch screen. Perhaps via suction cup to the backside of the touch screen on the top left corner?

Xvida makes something like this - I have one.

As for the MagSafe charger, I actually ended up mounting it to my Xvida mount (by sticking it on the metal plate), but the phone will rotate by itself as I drive, and the magnetic hold is weak enough where I don't have a ton of confidence in it not falling (12 Pro Max).

Xvida makes something like this - I have one.

As for the MagSafe charger, I actually ended up mounting it to my Xvida mount (by sticking it on the metal plate), but the phone will rotate by itself as I drive, and the magnetic hold is weak enough where I don't have a ton of confidence in it not falling (12 Pro Max).

Oh WOW! that's exactly what I was thinking in my head, thank you!

Reactions: sbtz

I mounted a magsafe charger on the rubber mat in the console using mounting tape. The USB ports in the front won’t work for power even with an adapter, since they are not usb-c and don’t supply the correct voltage.

What is needed is a lighter plug-in 12v adapter that supplies the correct voltage for a usb-c port. Anker makes a pretty good one with all of the necessary voltages and amps for $40.

This works fine in my Model 3P+.

Reactions: user212_nr
I mounted a magsafe charger on the rubber mat in the console using mounting tape. The USB ports in the front won’t work for power even with an adapter, since they are not usb-c and don’t supply the correct voltage.

What is needed is a lighter plug-in 12v adapter that supplies the correct voltage for a usb-c port. Anker makes a pretty good one with all of the necessary voltages and amps for $40.

This works fine in my Model 3P+.

Which mounting tape did you use?

Sounds great, though its getting a bit pricey. I'd use on of the USB-C 12v adapters in the $10-$15 range since the recommended wattage is only 20W and max charging 15W. The higher wattage adapters would be good for a laptop.

DFCDF5BE-B462-4B23-996B-F8CD69E08CA6.jpeg

Reactions: KenC
I can't post a photo with the phone for obvious reasons. Works great, holds the phone well. I moved it a bit to the left so that I can rest my fingers when using the arm rest.

It does have a slight issue of triggering the phone's heads up sensor when accelerating fully.

Also, there is "adhesive putty" below the magsafe circle. It does look like it is loose since the wire is at a 45 degree angle, but that is all covered by the phone, including the visible sploch of putty on the wire. Since its all covered, figured I would take the most direct path to the side, without any bends.

I've jammed up the rotating lid that the magsafe is on with some putty visible in the top right.

I used this 36W charger for $17. Its enough for an iPhone fast charger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089R67JV4

Also, finally disabled the "raise to wake" feature on the iPhone. It still wakes when raised just after being unplugged, but no longer should it activate when braking/accelerating.

3744CAF1-B4CE-4F77-BF15-7058277ED4C7.jpeg
just seen this, I found an adapter that does work and used double sided tape to stick the charger to the rubbert mat. Dual purpose of charging and holding phone in place. Works a treat. (It does not charge at optimum speed, maybe 5-10w, But it does the job)

here is a link to the adapter (basesailor is the brand)
USB C Female to USB 3.0 Male Adapter 2-Pack,Double-sided 5Gbps GEN 1 Type A Cable Connector for MagSafe Charger,iPhone 11 12 Mini Pro Max XR SE,iPad 8 8th Generation,Samsung Galaxy S21 21 Plus Ultra https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083DS8GDH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_KHx.FbYMRNXQY
Also, there is "adhesive putty" below the magsafe circle. It does look like it is loose since the wire is at a 45 degree angle, but that is all covered by the phone, including the visible sploch of putty on the wire. Since its all covered, figured I would take the most direct path to the side, without any bends.

I've jammed up the rotating lid that the magsafe is on with some putty visible in the top right.

I used this 36W charger for $17. Its enough for an iPhone fast charger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089R67JV4

Also, finally disabled the "raise to wake" feature on the iPhone. It still wakes when raised just after being unplugged, but no longer should it activate when braking/accelerating.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC
just seen this, I found an adapter that does work and used double sided tape to stick the charger to the rubbert mat. Dual purpose of charging and holding phone in place. Works a treat. (It does not charge at optimum speed, maybe 5-10w, But it does the job)

I knew something like that should exist or be made, but couldn't find it. It has a chip inside that implements the USB power delivery but only agrees to provide 5v.

Here is a U.S. Amazon link

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-2-Packs-Compatible-Nintendo-MacBook/dp/B07DK7T7XD/

I'm pretty happy with my current setup though. The wire is mostly out of sight, and you have to buy the adapter either way.

Your setup has a slight advantage of being able to access the front compartment. I don't use it, and I've realized how much nicer it looks with the flap down.