Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting new tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the next few months I need to put new tires on my Model S, I already have the tires and was wondering for owners who have installed new tires where did you have it done. Did you go to the SC or a tire shop, not sure who in my area is capable and having it done at the SC will probably be expensive. Any input appreciated.

My local service center says that you can buy oem tires elsewhere and they'll balance/mount them for about $50 each. But they won't mount/balance tires that aren't oem brand. Not sure if you have aftermarket wheels though.

Went with a local tire shop for my winters. Tire Rack shipped direct to the shop, I brought in extra wheels and they swapped the rubber. They didn't mount the wheels on the car, I did that myself about two weeks later when it was time to but the winters on the car.

My local service center says that you can buy oem tires elsewhere and they'll balance/mount them for about $50 each. But they won't mount/balance tires that aren't oem brand. Not sure if you have aftermarket wheels though.

Will they mount OEM tires that I bought from them and originally mounted on factory wheels on a new set of aftermarket rims, I wonder?

Will they mount OEM tires that I bought from them and originally mounted on factory wheels on a new set of aftermarket rims, I wonder?

My SC told me they would only mount on factory rims. But that I could get the tires from elsewhere as long as they were the same eom brand/make/tire as your factory tires.

You should call your SC. They should put them on (of course some SCs might be different) probably for about $50 each (mount/balance). You could go cheaper at a local tire store but that's totally up to you.
I worry about a local tire store and their expertise with not just the Tesla but mounting and balancing without damaging the rims. I guess which store makes a difference.

I have OEM 21's on a P85+. I bought Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They did no make the PSS in 265/35/ZR21 as origianlly equipped. I understood that the SC would not touch PSS; so, when I ordered 4ea 245/35ZR21 PSS from TireRack, I had them drop shipped to Firestone.

Firestone was great. They removed the old AlloyGators and installed new ones that I supplied at no charge. They were very careful. The pry bar never touched the rim. I had them inflate the rears to 38 psig rather than 40 psig that was utilized for the larger original rear tires.

The PSS ride smoother, and I have no regrets. The PSS were about half the price of getting the tires replaced in kind at the SC.

The Rockville SC told me they will not mount any tire (including the OEM tires Tesla sells) on a third party wheel. Nor will they mount a non-OEM tire on the Tesla wheels.

I have the 21 inch wheels and am replacing them with the 19 inch Tsportline wheel (21 inch low profile Michelin Pilots are too prone to bubbles from all the potholes in my area). I was willing to buy the Primacy tire from Tesla, but they refused to install them on the Tsportline wheels. So, I am going to, of all places, Costco to have Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires installed on the Tsportline wheels (none of the installers Tirerack had referred me to for installing tires purchased from them would work on the Tesla, so I have no choice; Costco's price is the same as Tirerack and includes a 5 year road hazard plan).

Tesla SC said they WILL balance tires, rotate tires and align the car once the wheels/tires are installed on the car. Makes no sense to me, but that is their policy.

BTW, I'll be selling the gray 21 inch wheels afterwards, if anyone is interested.

I have OEM 21's on a P85+. I bought Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They did no make the PSS in 265/35/ZR21 as origianlly equipped. I understood that the SC would not touch PSS; so, when I ordered 4ea 245/35ZR21 PSS from TireRack, I had them drop shipped to Firestone.

Firestone was great. They removed the old AlloyGators and installed new ones that I supplied at no charge. They were very careful. The pry bar never touched the rim. I had them inflate the rears to 38 psig rather than 40 psig that was utilized for the larger original rear tires.

The PSS ride smoother, and I have no regrets. The PSS were about half the price of getting the tires replaced in kind at the SC.

Would you mind sharing more of your impressions with the PSS tires (e.g. handling, dry/wet traction, road noise, etc.) once you've had more miles on them? Thanks.

The Rockville SC told me they will not mount any tire (including the OEM tires Tesla sells) on a third party wheel. Nor will they mount a non-OEM tire on the Tesla wheels.

I have the 21 inch wheels and am replacing them with the 19 inch Tsportline wheel (21 inch low profile Michelin Pilots are too prone to bubbles from all the potholes in my area). I was willing to buy the Primacy tire from Tesla, but they refused to install them on the Tsportline wheels. So, I am going to, of all places, Costco to have Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires installed on the Tsportline wheels (none of the installers Tirerack had referred me to for installing tires purchased from them would work on the Tesla, so I have no choice; Costco's price is the same as Tirerack and includes a 5 year road hazard plan).

Tesla SC said they WILL balance tires, rotate tires and align the car once the wheels/tires are installed on the car. Makes no sense to me, but that is their policy.

BTW, I'll be selling the gray 21 inch wheels afterwards, if anyone is interested.

Are you willing to swap the wheels yourself? If so, drop ship the tires to the installer, bring in your new wheels and have the tires installed and balanced. They won't refuse to simply mount the tires on the rims. Then swap the wheels at home. A torque wrench and a floor jack is all it takes.

I received the wheels from Tsportline and am ordering the tires from Costco on Monday, when they go on sale and will be the same price Tirerack charges, but also includes a road hazard plan, which Tirerack charges extra for. Costco will do the TPMS swap, mounting and balancing (cost is $58 for 4 tires). I will be there watching as they lift the car and swap tires, to make sure they follow Tesla's instructions for lifting the car.

JohnQ, I can't do what you suggest because I need the TPMS sensors to be removed from the existing 21 inch wheels to be installed on the 19 inch TSportline wheels.

I received the wheels from Tsportline and am ordering the tires from Costco on Monday, when they go on sale and will be the same price Tirerack charges, but also includes a road hazard plan, which Tirerack charges extra for. Costco will do the TPMS swap, mounting and balancing (cost is $58 for 4 tires). I will be there watching as they lift the car and swap tires, to make sure they follow Tesla's instructions for lifting the car.

What are Tesla's instructions for lifting the car?

I gave serious thought to swapping my 21's for the Tsportline 19's with Michelin PSS. I don't think you'll have a problem selling your 21" gray wheels. I have the silver wheels (staggered) and my sense is there is less of a market for them compared to the grays.

Lifting instructions are in the manual. Basically putting the car in jack mode and the specific points where the lift should contact the car's underbody so the battery is not damaged. Nothing major, but I plan to watch to ensure everything is done correctly.