Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mounting Slim License Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All

Expecting delivery of a Model S in Nov (Perth).

They said the company that registers the car here for them can only fit the standard size WA plate (same as the rest of Aus).

I have ordered a slim-line plate for the front (372mmx100mm) and regular size for the back (372mmx134mm)

Has anyone mounted a slim plate for the front on a new faced Model S? Was their any particular brand you used for the covers?

Cheers,

I've not as I have the original shape however I notice the mounting point puts the plate really low which on a slim line, in my opinion, looks very odd/unattractive.

I'd be mounting it slightly higher so is a bit more centred, I've seen a few photos of U.S. Tesla lime this, also kind of like how the do it on the Porches....

I have slimline plates but at my request no cover or frame. Old style front, however tesla mounted them onto a perfectly sized back plate. Best ask tesla for help. In my experience your delivery person will be very helpful if you ask.
Mine were in adelaide where it is also a 3rd party doing the rego. I arranged the personal plates beforehand (with tesla's knowledge) so they had no choice but fit them.

Reactions: FetzCo
I have slimline plates but at my request no cover or frame. Old style front, however tesla mounted them onto a perfectly sized back plate. Best ask tesla for help. In my experience your delivery person will be very helpful if you ask.
Mine were in adelaide where it is also a 3rd party doing the rego. I arranged the personal plates beforehand (with tesla's knowledge) so they had no choice but fit them.

Hi Paul

Would you be comfortable messaging me a picture of the back plate /plate they gave you? Tesla aren't saying they can provide anything other than the standard plate fit at this stage. It would be very much appreciated, as I will most likely need to source a similar back plate for the slim plate

Hi Xwing, also wondering if you could send an image to me? Thank you
Hey Fetz I won't be with the car again until the weekend so can't really help you out with a pic of the back plate. Have you spoken to James in Melbourne? I'm sure he will provide you with all the details of what they are using. I'm surprised that Tesla can't provide you with one. If you are still looking for details by the weekend hit me up for whatever you need.

Hey Fetz I won't be with the car again until the weekend so can't really help you out with a pic of the back plate. Have you spoken to James in Melbourne? I'm sure he will provide you with all the details of what they are using. I'm surprised that Tesla can't provide you with one. If you are still looking for details by the weekend hit me up for whatever you need.
Thanks for your reply, If you get a chance on the weekend -I'd be very grateful for an image. I want to send it to the people and ask them for the same thing - I will make sure I blur any plates if I send it to anyone.

Here it is, complete with tesla screws that clearly are not enjoying salt air
IMG_1480.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: championi
Got a response from Owen @ Tesla about the backing plate ;S

The backing plate for license plates comes standard on all Model S, it's a plastic surface for number plates to be drilled into. In regards to plate choices for WA we can only supply and fit standard plates as we use a third party register and that is all they can provide. In other states we can organise the fitting of personalised plates but not in WA unfortunately.

Update: according to Tesla all the cars come with the same front backing plate for the license plate and you can mount a normal size or slim size on there. When I get the car in a few weeks we'll see if it works..