TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Mounting this horse

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Dumbtexan, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Dumbtexan

Dumbtexan Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Granted I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer- but I just received my model S four days ago. I'm not a car guy and have never owned an expensive vehicle (wife has had plenty). This car is something else. My only reason for this post - if any of you big fellers out there have a hard time getting into this vehicle, I have finally figured it out. Butt first, then feet. This may seem ridiculous, but all I've ever had are SUV's that you just step up into. All jokes aside, what a phenomenal car and technological advancement.
  2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mar 8, 2012
    That's how you get in and out. Some folks set an Exit driver profile to make it easier by changing the seat and steering wheel positions.
  3. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Yes many people have a hard time getting in and out of the car. One thing I wanted to warn you about is the damage you can do to the trim on the pillar between the front and back seats. The leather will wear quickly if you rub it as you get in and out - I've damaged mine. Just make sure not to let your left hip rub the pillar too hard as you get in. If you wear a phone make sure to slide it around out of the way.
  4. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Jul 16, 2009
    #4 ChadS, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Congrats on the car, and welcome to the forums.

Being about average size (maybe a tad smaller) and owning a Roadster, getting in to a Model S seems almost as easy as walking in the front door of a house to me. But that's partly relative perception and I understand it's not that way for everybody.

Here is a technique video Tesla made for tall people getting in and out of Roadsters. (Basically, lead with one leg, move the body in or out, then follow with the other leg). That's the technique I use with the Roadster. Does that help, or is the Model S entry so different this doesn't apply? Thinking about it a bit, this will probably work fine, but is not necessary so another method may feel better. The Model S' extra room between the steering wheel and seat allows for more options, and the lack of a large sill + large drop to navigate like the Roadster removes the requirement to be able to shift your weight between inside and out. Still, I'll leave it here in case it helps.

Here's another tip on how to get in that may not help the OP, but some women might like:

5. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Old Europe
    Yep, that's what i have learned the best way is. Open the door, face away from the car, bend your knees, place your butt in the seat, then lift your legs and rotate your butt 90 degrees on your seat.

If you do the twisting and turning thing it can really screw up your back over time.
  6. morbot

morbot Member

Oct 20, 2014
    I started out with an "exit" drivers profile, but got tired of having to select it all the time. I'm a pretty big guy but I got the motion down pretty smooth. Sometimes I bump the back or side of my head against the roof while getting in though, but luckily that area where the window seals is pretty soft.
  7. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Jun 24, 2014
    Santa Cruz Mountains, USA
    I'm a skinny guy at only 170#. But I find hard to get in also. I have no problem with the pillar. What gets me is the extra wide door sill, which of course, is there for safety. So I have learned to sit, LIFT my feet, rather than dragging them, into the car. I also lift a bit up on my butt when I pivot so as to not wear out the bottom seat cushion. I have also learned not to kick the door open when getting out. I guess I have always done this. Because it mars, and could dent, the speaker grill. So many things to think about with a fancy car! And I find my friends have a hard time getting in and out too. So maybe I'm not as much of a spaz as I think!
  8. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Stouffville, ON Canada
    You could also pay for the Police Officer add on who will push your head down as you enter. :biggrin: