Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mouse in Frunk - Warning: Graphic Picture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cottonwood

Roadster#433, Model S#S37
Feb 27, 2009
Colorado
I love living in remote SW Colorado, but rodents looking for a comfortable home are a constant problem.

The local mice have decided that the Tesla Frunk is a great place to make a home. This all started last year when I left the car in the garage for a few weeks while I was gone and left an old towel and a bag of cat food (irony) in the frunk. The local mice found this a little slice of heaven, an infinite supply of food and plenty of material to make bedding. With the help of the cat and traps, I won that battle, but the war continues.

The cat is in Boulder now, and I opened the frunk yesterday to see a cute (I guess) little mouse scurrying away. In my search for the better mouse trap, I have settled on the Nooski Mouse Trap. It is a very effective, clever trap that snaps a latex ring on the mouse's neck, killing it quickly with no blood or guts to deal with. This is particularly good for setting traps in the frunk and not messing up the interior.

I love animals, but mice that mess with my Tesla can expect a quick death...

Mouse in Frunk.JPG

Ok, here is my story. had to wait a while to make sure nothing bad happened! (cool trap too! neat idea)

I was catching rats in live traps and taking them to work (not into the building :wink:) and dropping them near the slough/Bay. One morning I put a live trap in my frunk and drove nicely until the last corner but I almost tried to drift into the parking lot, forgetting about the rat for a second until I parked..then thought oh crap!

I opened the frunk and the rat jumped out and up near the wipers, looked at me and started heading up the windshield and over to my cracked open drivers door. As I ran over to close the door the rat went the other way and down in through the air filter area and under the frunk liner somewhere! I really hoped he didn't find anything good in there before leaving. seems ok >6 mo later

Yikes!

A mouse lived in the engine block of my Honda Accord several years ago when I parked it on the driveway. Didn't notice the evidence until I went to change the oil one day. Got him with some poison a few days later, but this thread makes me think I better open the MS frunk every once in a while just to make sure, even though it is parked in a garage overnight.

I have no problem with the kill but that is a picture perfect mouse.

as to the elelctric mousetrap from HD Interesting that a AA battery can electrocute an animal. I wonder if eneloop batteries play nice with it. Luckily I've never had a mouse/rat problem that I had to buy a trap for.

I love living in remote SW Colorado, but rodents looking for a comfortable home are a constant problem.

The local mice have decided that the Tesla Frunk is a great place to make a home. This all started last year when I left the car in the garage for a few weeks while I was gone and left an old towel and a bag of cat food (irony) in the frunk. The local mice found this a little slice of heaven, an infinite supply of food and plenty of material to make bedding. With the help of the cat and traps, I won that battle, but the war continues.

The cat is in Boulder now, and I opened the frunk yesterday to see a cute (I guess) little mouse scurrying away. In my search for the better mouse trap, I have settled on the Nooski Mouse Trap. It is a very effective, clever trap that snaps a latex ring on the mouse's neck, killing it quickly with no blood or guts to deal with. This is particularly good for setting traps in the frunk and not messing up the interior.

View attachment 56379

I also live in a rural area and get a lot of these critters everywhere. I like your trapping idea.
The one I use most often to catch them before they get in the frunk is a 5gal pail half full of water with sunflower seeds sprinkled on top (they float ). Put a wood ramp up to the pail, and the critters will get caught in the pail as they reach for the seeds.

Reactions: Russell

I use a larger version of the electric trap for rats when I have to deal with them. See Raticator Max Infrared Sensing Zapper, Humanely Exterminates Mice and Rats.

For the little mice, I have found that the Nooski is just as effective, as clean, and much more cost effective.

My guess would be this scenario : you open the frunk, take out something (turning your back to the frunk), and that is when the mouse jumped in. You closed the frunk without ever seeing the mouse that jumped in.
Other than that...perhaps we can put one of those Dash Cams in the frunk and see how the mice get in. :smile:

My guess would be this scenario : you open the frunk, take out something (turning your back to the frunk), and that is when the mouse jumped in. You closed the frunk without ever seeing the mouse that jumped in.
Other than that...perhaps we can put one of those Dash Cams in the frunk and see how the mice get in. :smile:

I don't have any visible mouse holes, don't leave food in the Frunk (except for the one cat food time), and I can assure you that the Frunk is not sealed well enough to be mouse proof, at least on my 23 month old sig. I think that they come up the wheel well area and then into the Frunk via the area between the Frunk and the passenger compartment.

is there a trick to get mice/rats to try one of these? I have used Brie, peanut butter, rendered bacon, chicken fat, other cheeses, butter, none of them have touched the electric trap.
hmm, many different e-traps. bucket method upthread works pretty good too.

I assume my rat left my car through the wheel wells. I didn't think about rat problems in the S before I lost a rat in my car. Glad I didn't have it in the trunk that day

Last edited:

View attachment 56379

Just be careful with this trap. Although there is no blood and guts, the rubberband essentially strangles the mouse, and in their panic will urinate and defecate (if the band doesn't snap their neck). I used this trap in my apartment years ago, and a damn mouse triggered it while I was cooking. he ran across the floor from the pantry area after the trigger before succumbing to the effects of the band. It ended up under my oven trying to get away.

• Funny
Reactions: Russell
Sort of on topic, this reminds me of something crazy I saw one time. I was driving home from a convenience store and was behind an SUV at a red light on a small side street. As we waited for the light to make our left turn, I saw a rat out of the corner of my right eye, running across the road between us. I remember thinking, "there's something you don't see every day", as I so often think. He got to the curb at the left side of the road, stopped, and headed back toward the rear wheel of the SUV. Now I was wondering what his plan was... so I was transfixed. He got to the wheel, stood up on his hind legs inspecting the wheel well... AND JUMPED UP IN IT. It was then that the light changed and the SUV took off! What to do? I watched to see if it fell out, it didn't. Do I follow them until they stop, and then tell them a rat jumped up in their wheel well? Will I sound like a lunatic?

I chose not to stalk them, but that rat didn't fall out for at least the mile I was behind them!

is there a trick to get mice/rats to try one of these? I have used Brie, peanut butter, rendered bacon, chicken fat, other cheeses, butter, none of them have touched the electric trap.
hmm, many different e-traps. bucket method upthread works pretty good too.

I assume my rat left my car through the wheel wells. I didn't think about rat problems in the S before I lost a rat in my car. Glad I didn't have it in the trunk that day

I fried 8-10 mice using 5-6 kernels of dry cat food each time. Worked really well and no worries about cleanup.