Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mouse in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I once saw a mouse run across the soft cargo cover on my Z06. I considered a sticky trap, but I use them in my shop and had one flip over onto my carpet one time. I tried *.* to remove the sticky, never did. I wouldn't suggest a sticky trap. Maybe a sticky trap in a card board box with holes only big enough for the mouse to get in and out. I ended up just putting one of those sonar mouse things in an invertor in the 12v receptacle. Never saw another mouse in the car. No evidence of nesting or poop either. I guess they don't care for the sonar sound.

Reactions: Akikiki
A mouse can get through any space larger than a nickel with ease.
Smaller than that.

I do my own work around my house (in fact, I built the house) and I had a light switch acting up some years back. I pulled the cover plate off and saw a mouse across the contacts (fried of course) and the only access to the single gang box was the hole the wires entered the box. For context, go to Lowe's and look at a single gang plastic box. There are 4 holes protected by plastic covers that you have to break out with a screwdriver to use. Imagine 2 Romex (12/2G) wires shoved into a single hole. The mouse squeezed in the remaining space. The remaining 3 holes had the covers in place and no holes were chewed in the box.

They are crafty little bastards. They will wreck havoc on wiring.

Mice love cars. They also like to chew the insulation off of wires. Maybe get a trap (they really HAVE invented better, humane ones that are also not messy).
I had a rodent of undetermined size create a nest between the frunk and the firewall. There's a nice cosy spot there, it dragged in a lot of leaves to furnish it's little room and chewed through that nasty wire that ran right through it's living space. Viola! No air conditioning:(

You can rodent proof wires by wrapping them in steel wool

I had a rodent of undetermined size create a nest between the frunk and the firewall. There's a nice cosy spot there, it dragged in a lot of leaves to furnish it's little room and chewed through that nasty wire that ran right through it's living space. Viola! No air conditioning:(

You can rodent proof wires by wrapping them in steel wool
My mom used to stuff every nook and cranny in her old farmhouse with steel wool. Memories!

Mice do not like steel wool, that's true, but steel wool is SURPRISINGLY flammable. Partially chewed insulation + steel wool + contact with bare metal on the car body or frame = instant inferno.

Also be careful of steel wool in contact with aluminum.