Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have said it probably goes through the air cabin fresh air intake when it is left open. I hope Tesla latest updates always closes this when your car is off. When this vent is open it is a very large hole into the cabin and this metal grate is NOT fine enough. I wonder what the latest production cars have here. Finer wire mesh? I took out the drunk which was surprisingly easy and didn’t fine any other damage but cleaned up the droppings here and there. I had cabin air filters arrive a few weeks ago so I took on that task. Looks like they ate some sound insulation and probably more behind the dash. It looks like the enter the glovebox through the upper left of the glovebox hole. This hole is still there when you close the glovebox. That’s exactly where they enter because it has the most rodent stains. I just finished making pulled pork with my hands too...
4EE8E84D-23BE-4137-B759-3B74988567D0.gif
E253AE6E-B64C-4B29-8BBD-58DAFCF88353.jpeg
9FFB8543-7210-42B2-80AA-A85B6C39EAAF.jpeg
677EC1FF-DAD6-4F2D-AF06-BD9E0AED4F23.jpeg
CA09483A-B57D-4F62-B45C-0132D12B676C.jpeg
40E48BB6-9108-44F3-9D27-884A8BB152E8.jpeg
4CB0C066-62F2-4A33-91A3-463D60F45F95.jpeg
5DC11E11-C093-451C-B281-B4517475668B.jpeg
B994E6E4-1A86-4305-A50C-2DC09E29E948.jpeg

Has anyone with an aftermarket air inlet vent grill cover installed had mice get into their model 3?

That seems like a possible solution but I don’t know if mice are still finding another way in. They need a gap of about 1cm to get in. I’m sure they could still get into the drunk but that isn’t as warm and inviting and also there isn’t much they can damage in there. Plus It’s an easy place to keep a deterrent in.

so reached out to Tesla service and they are not very helpful as usual as usual when I asked if parts air intake parts can be updated to the latest. Just trying to charge me $700 for new trim and glovebox. Pretty sure they ate insulation behind the glovebox now that I'm looking at some photos online of the glove box. The HVAC now makes loud whirring sounds when it's blowing air. Passenger side only. I'm sure that is part of the reason. I'm going to try to replace it myself instead. Any one seen one of those DIYs?

An aftermarket air inlet grill cover is definitely the solution! I didn't know they existed! Makes sense because there are leaves in the inlet screen and there were leaves in the cabin air filter box.

Had this happen in a BMW X5...first sign of mice was an empty water bottle they had chewed through to drink. Drove car every day so they must have just hidden under the carpet while we were in the car. Only suggestion is to use a large rat sticky trap to catch mice in a car. Used smaller mouse size ones and the trap disappeared on me (had placed it under the passenger seat.) found it a year later (with mouse) in the back wedged under the spare tire. No smell luckily...think AC in car keeps air too dry for mouse to rot much.

Was hoping the model 3 was better sealed. Now will be paranoid parking at our mountain home. Need a robot cat I guess :)

Had this happen in a BMW X5...first sign of mice was an empty water bottle they had chewed through to drink. Drove car every day so they must have just hidden under the carpet while we were in the car. Only suggestion is to use a large rat sticky trap to catch mice in a car. Used smaller mouse size ones and the trap disappeared on me (had placed it under the passenger seat.) found it a year later (with mouse) in the back wedged under the spare tire. No smell luckily...think AC in car keeps air too dry for mouse to rot much.

Was hoping the model 3 was better sealed. Now will be paranoid parking at our mountain home. Need a robot cat I guess :)
An adult mouse can get through a hole the size of a dime.

be realistic.

Sure. But it's also related that they've found their new home in my home too. Attic, I've trapped 3 already. I also took the advice of some friends to but used cat litter in the house. I have to work on dettering mice for several months. Cat litter, ultrasonic sounds, peppermint oil, anything that annoys the hell out of them to drive them away!

Had a mouse nest started in the gap above the driver's side wheel well, over a week ago, where the hood strut hinge is:
IMG_6011.jpeg

Only grass. Pulled it all out, and put in that pine-scented bag. Poured laundry softener crystals around my car, as apparently, mice don't like the strong smells. Hopefully, it works. Each morning I look in there, and so far so good, no new signs of mouse intrusion.

• Informative
Reactions: Tonybvi
I declined getting the parts replaced (glovebox, knee airbag trim, passenger center console side trim). It would have been like $2k parts and labor but they did some $20 heat trace testing to see if anything electrical was damaged. I'm not sure how reliant that is but they did the test and said "passed with flying colors".
Also, got the car upgraded to AP3.0. Picking it up later.

• Informative
Reactions: forumer and SlimJim
wow, this thread scared me straight. The garage has OPEN eaves on each side and its clear the squirrels have at times stored food there. I am going to get some chicken wire and start trying to make it harder to visit.

@Uncle Paul
I've read so much on this. seems like 50/50 on the moth balls. When the mice started showing up I started putting them in my garage.

But I haven't tried moth balls in the glove. I will now.
What should work is mint oil they say...

Also, I'm not sure if it will help but I'm going to take off the aero covers so it does not allow more climbing surface inside the wheel for the mice!

So sorry for your troubles. I wish I knew what to advise.

It's a very common occurrence, which is one of the reasons I always park the cars in the garage. Others in my neighborhood who park outside have had rats in their cars. Last year I had a dead rat in my Infiniti. I think I got it when i was parked at the Van Nuys Fly Away parking lot for nearly a week.

I started smelling this ranky smell of death in my garage and i knew something died in there. Couldn't find anything, so I pulled both cars out and started sniffing around the cars. I found it in the driver side wheel well, stuck in an area under the master brake cylinder. I kept try to grab it with pliers but the hair was just coming out every time I got hold of it. I finally managed to get it out... the opening where it got in was very tiny. I know they are able to squeeze into some pretty small passages.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt