Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Use this!
StopTheRodent.jpg

Yep, parked outside. Got the car in March, so this is the first time it's really cooling down. We do have a greenbelt behind us, but our driveway is paved. Added a bait box in the glove box and dryer sheets in trunk/frunk. Gonna think about outdoor solutions too. I'm considering parking the car on the street now. Did that with last car and never had an issue.

Dryer sheets? Does that work???? I’m going to buy a dozen boxes!

Cost me a hefty penny when a rodent chewed threw the wires of the PASM on my 911.

I just came here to share my similar experience, except with my Model Y. We have no clue how the mouse is getting in. We've set traps all over for days. the only thing that scared it out of wherever it is residing was the car wash. It may have jumped out of the car at the vacuums at that point. I've scoured the internet trying to find mice infiltrating the CAB of regular vehicles and im just not seeing it. Honestly f**k this car. We're trading it in.

Attachments

• mouse.jpeg
    mouse.jpeg
    388.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I just came here to share my similar experience, except with my Model Y. We have no clue how the mouse is getting in. We've set traps all over for days. the only thing that scared it out of wherever it is residing was the car wash. It may have jumped out of the car at the vacuums at that point. I've scoured the internet trying to find mice infiltrating the CAB of regular vehicles and im just not seeing it. Honestly f**k this car. We're trading it in.
lol
Mice infiltrates all cars. Chewed up the PSAM on a Porsche! So it’s not only Tesla issue. Even Porsche have this issue. Costed me $800

uhhh you know this happens to every car right?

I don't know. I've owned at lease 10 cars with most of them residing outdoors. For the last 12 years I've had a garage with at least 4 cars in there between my wife and I. Mice definitely get into that garage in the winter, we have seen them. But never any problem with any of the cars. It seems there is an easy way into the car. Wire harness, ok that happens I guess under the hood. But mice getting inside the car? No, I hate them enough that it would be a real problem.

I'm new but I see a lot of apology for things that are happening. Not looking to make any enemies, just saying that there are a lot of very intelligent people in this car community. Engineers and coders etc. Let's just focus on a solution to the problem, there must be a clear point of entry. Just a thought, again not to start anything. I just want a mouse free experience lol. I really don't like mice.

I declined getting the parts replaced (glovebox, knee airbag trim, passenger center console side trim). It would have been like $2k parts and labor but they did some $20 heat trace testing to see if anything electrical was damaged. I'm not sure how reliant that is but they did the test and said "passed with flying colors".
Also, got the car upgraded to AP3.0. Picking it up later.

Ah, you know this should have been an insurance claim, right? Comprehensive claims (where you're not at fault; vehicle not in motion) don't "count" against you so it should have no impact on your premiums . . . .

This is WHAT INSURANCE IS FOR people.

I'd make a claim and get your car fixed.

uhhh you know that the main issue is that the mice are getting INSIDE the cabin.
Yes it can happen to other cars but they are most likely not inside the CABIN
Also, our house is pretty far from the woods.
Positive note is I haven't seen any activity for a little while (fingers crossed)
I left my used cat litter outside around the car for about a month. Maybe the stench go all up in there and scared them away for good!

@Ryan.Sterling wow sorry to hear man. This totally sucks it's happening on the Y too.

We still have our S and 3. But I'll be ready for a new EV maker when they are ready. Ford F150 EV?

@TSLA Pilot I'd rather not pay my deductible. I haven't had a claim for a decade plus and want to keep it that way. It's just insulation. When I have the time I'll take my dash apart and replace parts a needed. Based on my research it seems to be mostly the glovebox back. That has a lot of insulation I bet the mice ate.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
uhhh you know that the main issue is that the mice are getting INSIDE the cabin.
Yes it can happen to other cars but they are most likely not inside the CABIN
Also, our house is pretty far from the woods.
Positive note is I haven't seen any activity for a little while (fingers crossed)
I left my used cat litter outside around the car for about a month. Maybe the stench go all up in there and scared them away for good!

@Ryan.Sterling wow sorry to hear man. This totally sucks it's happening on the Y too.

We still have our S and 3. But I'll be ready for a new EV maker when they are ready. Ford F150 EV?

@TSLA Pilot I'd rather not pay my deductible. I haven't had a claim for a decade plus and want to keep it that way. It's just insulation. When I have the time I'll take my dash apart and replace parts a needed. Based on my research it seems to be mostly the glovebox back. That has a lot of insulation I bet the mice ate.

Just note that comprehensive claims, such as rodent damage, are "not at fault" claims. It's like a tree falling and hitting your car while it's parked--no fault.

Thus, your premiums won't increase.

Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: Apone