Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move from Audi Q7 to Model Y or alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we have the same car?! LOL. My YLR's lifetime efficiency is also 252 wh/mi right now, and I'm only a couple of K miles behind yours. Also, the highest point for me was 272 Wh/mi after 9K miles, and it's been steadily declining since then. It would be cool if I can get to 250 lifetime and stay there.
Twins! I am very happy with the efficiency of the Y and think I can get to maybe 248 lifetime average with normal driving. It helps after adding the no-sag 2-piece sunshade as I’m able to run the AC 3-5 degrees warmer this Summer and still be comfortable compared to the Spring time without roof sunshade. This helps improve overall efficiency as the AC doesn’t work as hard and draws less energy.

I plan to replace tires in August at the one year mark and will compare efficiency to the new set of tires. I am currently considering the Pirelli P7 Plus 3 grand touring tire.

Never heard anyone in any car say “wow That pothole was comfortable”
But plenty of people will say a car does a good job of absorbing bumps, imperfections and railroad tracks. Just not people driving a model y.

The model y has a stiff, harsh ride. Everyone in my family independently came to the same conclusion and there’s a ton of reviews on the internet stating the same thing. If you’re fine with the ride then it’s not an issue but to lie or deny the fact does a disservice to people. I thinks @bobbyjae is right - people don’t want to admit their $65k Tesla isn’t perfect.

But plenty of people will say a car does a good job of absorbing bumps, imperfections and railroad tracks. Just not people driving a model y.

The model y has a stiff, harsh ride. Everyone in my family independently came to the same conclusion and there’s a ton of reviews on the internet stating the same thing. If you’re fine with the ride then it’s not an issue but to lie or deny the fact does a disservice to people. I thinks @bobbyjae is right - people don’t want to admit their $65k Tesla isn’t perfect.
Sorry my brand new Y has nice comfortable ride. So I disagree with you .

Anyone here move from a 7 seater SUV (Q7) to model Y? how did it work out? any regrets? I got online quotes from caravan (28K) and Carmax (38K) surprised for my 2018 q7 premium plus. The wait is long for model Y and maybe we can get away with just 1 car in the meantime. With gas prices so high (which will come down eventually) and Q7 out of the warranty period, I am wondering if I should sell my q7 and get a MY. However, I have read that the ride of MY is rough, is there any truth to this? has the build quality improved? does CarPlay work?

Thoughts?
I'd strongly suggest driving the two back to back so you can judge for yourself. I've never driven a Q7 but came from an Audi A4 my impressions:

The ride in the MY is far worse than my A4 was and probably among the worst I've had in any car I've driven. Smooth pavement is fine but bumps, dips, things like railroad tracks are jarring. It doesn't matter if you have the LR or P version; the suspension is the same so Make sure you're Ok with the suspension before you drive.

The interior of the Y is very roomy. I've never seen the 7 seat version to know how much room the 3rd row has, but the 1st two have an impressive amount of room. Interior quality and materials are going to be dramatically different - Audi is just in a different class in this regard. A lot of that's personal preference, though.

Technology - it depends what you want. Tesla doesn't have CarPlay, another major flaw IMO. It does have other stuff that approximates most of the CarPlay or Android auto experience, though. Navigation in general is fine with the Tesla App; It's not as integrated with your phone/life as Apple Maps will be but it is integrated with the car so it's a wash, IMO.

I don't know what the newer Audi's have for autopilot-type features if those are important to you. I can say that Tesla's adaptive cruise (TACC) is probably worst in class. Phantom braking is a thing and it is a problem. They've made improvements so it isn't as bad as it was but I still get random cases of it suddenly braking. I was driving on I494 yesterday going 65 with fairly open traffic when it suddenly braked hard enough to throw me and my son forward. I stomped on the gas because I saw a truck coming up hard on my tail and my son asked "what the heck was that???" This wasn't an AEB activation, there were no alarms, it just stomped on the brakes.

Dealer experience is highly variable with Tesla. I've had no issues with the service centers here in Mpls but you'll find many reports of people having problems, cars damaged on delivery, poor quality control, etc. Some of it's luck of the draw, but In general, the quality control and dealer experience will likely be better at Audi.

I strongly disagree with the harsh ride statement. My family members all agree that too. Performance cuv with cushy ride is the worst idea. Most Tesla owners here on this forum are NOT car guys who don't understand the performance and driving dynamics.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I'd strongly suggest driving the two back to back so you can judge for yourself. I've never driven a Q7 but came from an Audi A4 my impressions:

The ride in the MY is far worse than my A4 was and probably among the worst I've had in any car I've driven. Smooth pavement is fine but bumps, dips, things like railroad tracks are jarring. It doesn't matter if you have the LR or P version; the suspension is the same so Make sure you're Ok with the suspension before you drive.

The interior of the Y is very roomy. I've never seen the 7 seat version to know how much room the 3rd row has, but the 1st two have an impressive amount of room. Interior quality and materials are going to be dramatically different - Audi is just in a different class in this regard. A lot of that's personal preference, though.

Technology - it depends what you want. Tesla doesn't have CarPlay, another major flaw IMO. It does have other stuff that approximates most of the CarPlay or Android auto experience, though. Navigation in general is fine with the Tesla App; It's not as integrated with your phone/life as Apple Maps will be but it is integrated with the car so it's a wash, IMO.

I don't know what the newer Audi's have for autopilot-type features if those are important to you. I can say that Tesla's adaptive cruise (TACC) is probably worst in class. Phantom braking is a thing and it is a problem. They've made improvements so it isn't as bad as it was but I still get random cases of it suddenly braking. I was driving on I494 yesterday going 65 with fairly open traffic when it suddenly braked hard enough to throw me and my son forward. I stomped on the gas because I saw a truck coming up hard on my tail and my son asked "what the heck was that???" This wasn't an AEB activation, there were no alarms, it just stomped on the brakes.

Dealer experience is highly variable with Tesla. I've had no issues with the service centers here in Mpls but you'll find many reports of people having problems, cars damaged on delivery, poor quality control, etc. Some of it's luck of the draw, but In general, the quality control and dealer experience will likely be better at Audi.
again, comparing a compact CUV/SUV with a sedan is not very convincing.

And my Model Y handles the roads around here more competently with less wallowing and only slightly firmer that my former Audi Q's and VW Touaregs.
To pile on, maybe the earlier MY suspensions were worse but I was petrified when we took delivery of our MYP last week.

All I can say is that I now have a 22 MYP and 18 Q7 and I have no idea what people are so up in arms about. Is the ride as compliant over bumps, obviously not. But is it this crazy bone-jarring ride people on this forum drone on and on about? No. My wife was so worried and then we got in and we’re like: what’s the big deal.

And for the record: I am not a Tesla fanboy who refuses to see the bad. I have plenty to say about their customer service and quality especially given the price of the car.

People are either playing an old tape on ride quality and need to get into a new one or their expectations are just unreasonable. It’s not a Lexus but isn’t supposed to be.

again, comparing a compact CUV/SUV with a sedan is not very convincing.
It is what it is; I simply give it as a reference for my comparison.
Sorry my brand new Y has nice comfortable ride. So I disagree with you .
Mine does too, on smooth pavement!

That’s fine that you disagree with me. If you look at this thread you will see plenty of people who say the ride is harsh and some people who say it’s fine. Objectively that tells me the ride is probably harsh but some people are OK with that. My goal isn’t to convince you to hate the ride of your MY, rather it’s to warn @hulk that this is a potential issue so s/he can pay attention to it, take a good test drive and evaluate before buying rather than being surprised by it after the fact. Earlier, @hulk said they like a soft, cushy ride. That tells me they probably won’t be happy with the ride in the Y, but they have to decide that for themselves.

It is what it is; I simply give it as a reference for my comparison.
It is NOT what it is. Please do not use the wrong comparison to justify your theory. It is your experience which cannot be generalized. If Millions of Tesla owners come here and complain the same or similar issues, that is the issues with the Tesla service, but apparently it is not the case here.

That’s fine that you disagree with me. If you look at this thread you will see plenty of people who say the ride is harsh and some people who say it’s fine. Objectively that tells me the ride is probably harsh but some people are OK with that. My goal isn’t to convince you to hate the ride of your MY, rather it’s to warn @hulk that this is a potential issue so s/he can pay attention to it, take a good test drive and evaluate before buying rather than being surprised by it after the fact. Earlier, @hulk said they like a soft, cushy ride. That tells me they probably won’t be happy with the ride in the Y, but they have to decide that for themselves.
It is more than just disagreeing with your. We are disagreeing with your wrong comparison and incorrect judgement based on that wrong assumption and comparison and experience of one person. How many is "plenty of people"? one, two, 10, 20? out of Millions?

It is NOT what it is. Please do not use the wrong comparison to justify your theory. It is your experience which cannot be generalized. If Millions of Tesla owners come here and complain the same or similar issues, that is the issues with the Tesla service, but apparently it is not the case here.

It is more than just disagreeing with your. We are disagreeing with your wrong comparison and incorrect judgement based on that wrong assumption and comparison and experience of one person. How many is "plenty of people"? one, two, 10, 20? out of Millions?
:rolleyes:

Were coming from a 2018 Audi Q5 Prestige . In fact we still have it. I am finding the MYP to be comparable. Mine was just delivered a couple weeks ago. The ride seems to be softening up as the miles go by. At first I thought it was harsher then the Q5 (which we drove in Comfort Mode). Ether the car of my ass is breaking in and I now think the ride is great. The Seat comfort is an improvement over the Audi. I also think the steering on the MYP is more stable then the Audi. Seems like the Q5 required constant correction to keep a straight line on the highway. The MYP holds the line better, at least for me.

@hulk - something else to keep in mind is that the driving experience is totally different between an EV and an ICE vehicle. I don’t like the suspension of my MY but I still like driving it (if that makes sense.) Teslas have a very good drive train and the smooth power of an EV is very seductive and addictive. In that respect it will be difficult to compare a Q7 and a MY. As others have suggested you may want to look at an Audi e-tron for comparison. Tesla will have a better range and charging network, though, so if you plan on taking road trips that will be a consideration.

Reactions: nate704
Just saw this on the Minnesota Tesla Facebook page…

I finally decided to sell my 2020 Model Y LR AWD and I've ordered a 2023 Mercedes EQS 450 4Matic.
I really loved everything about the Model Y except the suspension which from the very start was always rough and bumpy (for me). I even tried to fix the problem by purchasing an Unplugged Performance Luxury Coilover system but that only improved things about 10%.
Sometimes I was able to live with the suspension but recently we took two long road trips to Florida and back which was a deal breaker. While the supercharger network was AWESOME both my wife and I felt like our bodies had been physically beat up at the end of each leg of the trip because it was so bumpy.
Pretty sure the EQS 450 has a pneumatic suspension like the S and X and it’s over $100k so it’s really in a different class than the Y.

Just saw this on the Minnesota Tesla Facebook page…

Pretty sure the EQS 450 has a pneumatic suspension like the S and X and it’s over $100k so it’s really in a different class than the Y.
I just looked it up and the AWD version with comparable options starts at $130k plus.
107.8 Kwh battery size
5888 lbs
340 mile range
0-60 mph 4.1 seconds

that's very bad efficiency given that it is a sedan. Almost twice battery size with 10-37 miles more range with slow acceleration indicate that this is car for rich and old people who want some weekend toys with luxury stamped all over the car. lol :cool:

I just looked it up and the AWD version with comparable options starts at $130k plus.
107.8 Kwh battery size
5888 lbs
340 mile range
0-60 mph 4.1 seconds
Yikes! It better ride well - For $60k my butt can deal with the Y! (I’m actually strongly considering shelling out for the MPP comfort coilovers. From the descriptions I’ve read they should fix my complaints about the ride. And they’re a lot cheaper than an EQS)