Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move from Audi Q7 to Model Y or alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model y has a stiff, harsh ride.
It did, the pre 2022 models were stiffer. The 22's have revised damping. You shhould at least know thhat these cars are evolving at a fast pace. The 21's are vastly better than the 20's. And the 22's raise that a few notches above the 21. And on an evolutionary regard, the changes from 2020 to 2021 to 2022, the 2022 is the one to get. It's insane that there is this much advancedment in a 3 year old car peolpe!

I did find aftermarket air suspension for the Y. Honestly, I would say go for the MXP for the air suspension. The AQ7 is closer in size to the MXP than the MY. Honestly speaking, I’ve been in some really rough rides so the MY is far from a rough ride. It’s “responsive”.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I have a Model Y performance. Hard ride? WTF are people talking about, have you all owned marshmallow Chevy Malibus or something? I've had Mercedes and BMWs, the ride is comparable to their equivalent S-line, /m series.

Why the Tesla is a no brainer - you've been conditioned to think you have to pay $120 a fill-up every week, oil changes, transmission, service A and B BS. I have a M3P and a MYP, and my next scheduled maintenance is 2025. No more dealership time waste, the autopilot, once learned, will take most of the workload off you - I drive 150 miles a day marketing and I don't feel it one bit. The AC/heater stays on while you're in the store. It costs next to nothing to plug-in and fill up every night. Have a gas station at your house? Now you do. Range anxiety lasts two weeks, it's a non-issue, even if you dont have home charging. They have been incredible and every update these cars get better.

Coming out of a 2016 Lexus RX350 AWD with all the tech options (Not F Sport suspension), the 2023 MYLR we just picked up drives way smoother around town. We have not taken it far since we just received it yesterday (Pending service inspection) but overall a smoother ride.

The gotcha when comparing other top of the line ICE SUV with all the bells and whistles, you likely will need to sacrifice some features. I personally miss the birds view cam on the Lexus since it helps a lot with situational awareness when pulling up into a parking spot. The cameras on the MY is just okay and the vector model doesn't really help with parking that much as cars would bleep in and out sometimes, lol

Reactions: oghowie
Coming out of a 2016 Lexus RX350 AWD with all the tech options (Not F Sport suspension), the 2023 MYLR we just picked up drives way smoother around town. We have not taken it far since we just received it yesterday (Pending service inspection) but overall a smoother ride.

The gotcha when comparing other top of the line ICE SUV with all the bells and whistles, you likely will need to sacrifice some features. I personally miss the birds view cam on the Lexus since it helps a lot with situational awareness when pulling up into a parking spot. The cameras on the MY is just okay and the vector model doesn't really help with parking that much as cars would bleep in and out sometimes, lol
Yeah Carplay and a proper 360 camera system are the only things I miss. I proper camera system would help with people curbing their rims too.

Yeah Carplay and a proper 360 camera system are the only things I miss. I proper camera system would help with people curbing their rims too.
This is true. For a car with a bunch of cameras and being able to do all that it can with said camera, I think it's pretty wild that it doesn't have this feature. Even little things like the Lexus had where it would auto shift the mirror, lol.

Hello,

It will be my first post in this forum.

In short we were thinking to order one MYLR early last year but delivery time was about 12 months, plus two on a back still required child seat/booster and in EU we can only have 5 seater option, it was a bit tight. Time flies kids got bigger so now we are fine in terms of space on rear. Performance is not an issue, trunk is great but still not sure if for long trips it would be a great option. We do like 3-4 times a year trips where we do like 3-4kkm in a round trip. Other time will be short local driving. I tested E-tron, nice to drive and easy to jump in from current Q7, air suspension but in terms of efficiency and infotainment is far from perfect. I looked into EV6 or Ioniq 5 but rear couch is badly designed where you can easily put 3 in a back.
X would be for sure much better but price wise is too expensive. With current price drop and 8K subsidy from gov MY get an extra point. E-tron is the extra 30k after discount with that bigger battery pack but only 3K subsidy due to the consumption. My main concern now is lack of USS and no dates for Vision and how other system works without USS as of now. ACC on Audi is fine and I'm using it a lot on long motorway trips. Second thing is these improvements as for here as of now based on sale person advise any SR and LR comes from Shanghai even if we have Berlin up and running so not sure is that due to overstock in there or some other factors as is hard to get the answer from Tesla guy ?

If MY is going to be your own vehicle, you will probably have to charge every day to top it off in-case you need to make a quick long trip vs having to plan ahead.

There are some features that Q7 has and MY will not and if you care for them. Birds-eye-view, Car Play, heads-up display, sunroof shade for complete dark, 450mile/tank ;) vs. 200 with 80% charge and lost miles with MY.

If MY is going to be your own vehicle, you will probably have to charge every day to top it off in-case you need to make a quick long trip vs having to plan ahead.

There are some features that Q7 has and MY will not and if you care for them. Birds-eye-view, Car Play, heads-up display, sunroof shade for complete dark, 450mile/tank ;) vs. 200 with 80% charge and lost miles with MY.
On daily basis I do not do much milage, to work I'm trying to go by bus or bike if is not too cold :) I do a short drives around mainly to drop off or pick up kids from their activities so I guess charging once per week should be fine. At work we have multiple charging points for free so that's additional advantage having an EV. On weekends from time to time we go like 100-120mil's one way, stay over and return so again single charge may be enough ?
For sure having a big tank where you can easily do like 520-550 miles is a big plus, that is my biggest concern when comes to switch from ICE to EV as you have to change a habit and be more dependant on more frequent stops etc.
My wife has XC40 which is perfect for driving around, 3rd one is out of scope so my one is usually primary and it would be good to have something that give a fun and meet family requirements :)
I think you can add external display and have kind of head-up display with Car Play ?
What I like with Audi is sounds isolation and matrix headlights which are perfect for night driving.

Reactions: Paul1
I gave our Q7 to my father, which he absolutely loves and it was my favourite vehicle prior to getting the MY. Now when I get in it I find the suspension feels super floaty. So. Agree that the MY relative is pretty stiff. I like our MY and M3 now more than the Audis we’ve had.

I gave our Q7 to my father, which he absolutely loves and it was my favourite vehicle prior to getting the MY. Now when I get in it I find the suspension feels super floaty. So. Agree that the MY relative is pretty stiff. I like our MY and M3 now more than the Audis we’ve had.
Funny, I drove my dad's GLE and thought the suspension was broken or something because it was soft as hell even in sport. He took it in and the dealer told him nothing was wrong with it. I drive a MYP and my wife a QX50, but even she thought something was wrong with it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyone here move from a 7 seater SUV (Q7) to model Y?
Sold our Q7 when we got our Y 18 months ago and never looked back. Sure the Audi could haul a bit more but I couldn't walk around it in the garage. Both are great in the snow on good tires. A few months ago I heard from the guy who bought it and he was quoted $11,500 by the dealer to fix a minor real main seal leak at 60k miles (they said they needed to pull the engine)! I swear it cost $600 every time I drove past the Audi dealer and sure don't miss $100 fill ups and annual smog tests. Been an all electric 2 car family since and couldn't be happier.

Sold our Q7 when we got our Y 18 months ago and never looked back. Sure the Audi could haul a bit more but I couldn't walk around it in the garage. Both are great in the snow on good tires. A few months ago I heard from the guy who bought it and he was quoted $11,500 by the dealer to fix a minor real main seal leak at 60k miles (they said they needed to pull the engine)! I swear it cost $600 every time I drove past the Audi dealer and sure don't miss $100 fill ups and annual smog tests. Been an all electric 2 car family since and couldn't be happier.
The model Y has more cargo capacity than pretty much any other car in its class. I’m repeatedly amazed with how much stuff I can pack in it.

I miss the ride and quiet cabin of my A4 but not the repair bills.

Reactions: cusetownusa