Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move from Audi Q7 to Model Y or alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone here move from a 7 seater SUV (Q7) to model Y? how did it work out? any regrets? I got online quotes from caravan (28K) and Carmax (38K) surprised for my 2018 q7 premium plus. The wait is long for model Y and maybe we can get away with just 1 car in the meantime. With gas prices so high (which will come down eventually) and Q7 out of the warranty period, I am wondering if I should sell my q7 and get a MY. However, I have read that the ride of MY is rough, is there any truth to this? has the build quality improved? does CarPlay work?

Thoughts?

Anyone here move from a 7 seater SUV (Q7) to model Y? how did it work out? any regrets? I got online quotes from caravan (28K) and Carmax (38K) surprised for my 2018 q7 premium plus. The wait is long for model Y and maybe we can get away with just 1 car in the meantime. With gas prices so high (which will come down eventually) and Q7 out of the warranty period, I am wondering if I should sell my q7 and get a MY. However, I have read that the ride of MY is rough, is there any truth to this? has the build quality improved? does CarPlay work?

Thoughts?
The Q7 is like a polar opposite to the MY. The MY is a sport compact suv and it leans more toward sport than suv. It's gonna be hard to get a test drive near the end of a financial quarter, we're right at Q2 earnings. They will tend to sell off everything single vehicle on the lot. But some time after that you should be able to schedule a test drive. See if it fits or is tolerable suspension wise, however like I wrote all models of the Y are sport centered, even the LR. We've got a MYP and it's fast as hell, straights or corners, so I'm ok with it being on the stiff side. On the flipside that Q7 is slow and heavy but its cush so you'll have to judge for yourself.

Please don't listen to the "ride is harsh" "ride is rough" crowd. They just don't know. MYP is extremely solid and sturdy in terms of feel and handling.
Q7 is much bigger than MY in size. Audi interior design is one of the best, but the Germans put too much electronics/technology that is not that reliable at all.
You have to decide whether you want very comfortable ride or performance oriented rocket. You can't have both. Just don't be like the folks who buy performance rocket and complain about the performance suspension setup.

I think it's hard for some folks to be objective after putting down 60-70k for a car. Maybe they are all in w/ Tesla's vision. I'm just trying to be honest here. It's a great car for a lot of things but don't think it's a "smooth" ride by any means.

Once you hit that first pothole you'll understand. It's quite jarring.

Ask me in a few weeks (hopefully). I have a 2018 Q7 Prestige and even though the MYP I have on order wont be replacing it, I can give you decent perspective on each as I'm pretty sure the MYP will become the "main" car for a while. An F150 Lightning will replace the Q7 within a year and then Cybertruck will replace one of those whenever they release it as I'm pretty early.

I think it's hard for some folks to be objective after putting down 60-70k for a car. Maybe they are all in w/ Tesla's vision. I'm just trying to be honest here. It's a great car for a lot of things but don't think it's a "smooth" ride by any means.

Once you hit that first pothole you'll understand. It's quite jarring.
Never heard anyone in any car say “wow That pothole was comfortable”

Thoughts?
Roughest ride I have ever owned.

Reactions: bobbyjae
The ride is rough on anything other than smooth, paved roads. I would not get a MY coming from a Q7 if that was your only car.
Unless the OP is trying to downsize. Having had a Q7 may not be a sign that's the only parameters an owner is comfortable with. Same with housing, right? Most people would downsize before retirement, or as soon as the kids are off on their own. You just don't need that much space anymore. Having lived in a 4,000 sq ft home for many years doesn't mean I always need it. MY is much smaller than Q7 overall, but it has surprisingly huge storage with its frunk, under-trunk, and side pockets.

Agree with the ride. I compare it with the Lexus 400h I had before, and it's much harder. But for me, I don't mind it a bit. Again, it's what you're going for that's important. I have my tires at 44 psi too. My #1 concern is efficiency, and harder suspension is better for that.

Unless the OP is trying to downsize. Having had a Q7 may not be a sign that's the only parameters an owner is comfortable with. Same with housing, right? Most people would downsize before retirement, or as soon as the kids are off on their own. You just don't need that much space anymore. Having lived in a 4,000 sq ft home for many years doesn't mean I always need it. MY is much smaller than Q7 overall, but it has surprisingly huge storage with its frunk, under-trunk, and side pockets.

Agree with the ride. I compare it with the Lexus 400h I had before, and it's much harder. But for me, I don't mind it a bit. Again, it's what you're going for that's important. I have my tires at 44 psi too. My #1 concern is efficiency, and harder suspension is better for that.
MY ultimately has more cargo area than a Q7 (76.2 vs 71.6 cubic ft, respectively). Without folding second row, MY has 30.2 cubic ft vs 37.5 for the Q7. 3rd row is MY with 12.8 cubic ft vs 14.8 in Q7. I was stunned when I saw this.

I do prefer the smooth cushy ride, I had a BMW sedan, loved it during the test drive, but hated it once I had it and felt every uneven road surface. Got a Mercedes and love the ride, then got the Audi and in dynamic mode, it has the right balance for me, cushy yet sporty and smooth ride. It was only recently when I read people complaining about the rough ride of the MY. I will test ride it, but not sure it will be truly a good test drive to figure out the ride quality.

Q7 is a big, soft, comfortable beast... I agree kinda opposite of the Model Y in most respects even though they could play the same role in your garage.

Honestly a Model X LR would be a better match for the size and demeanor of the Q7.

Or if you want a year or so, just about every carmaker on the planet will be rolling out electric options in the large-SUV category.

Reactions: sleepydoc and Anser
The Q7 is like a polar opposite to the MY. The MY is a sport compact suv and it leans more toward sport than suv. It's gonna be hard to get a test drive near the end of a financial quarter, we're right at Q2 earnings. They will tend to sell off everything single vehicle on the lot. But some time after that you should be able to schedule a test drive. See if it fits or is tolerable suspension wise, however like I wrote all models of the Y are sport centered, even the LR. We've got a MYP and it's fast as hell, straights or corners, so I'm ok with it being on the stiff side. On the flipside that Q7 is slow and heavy but its cush so you'll have to judge for yourself.
I have not driven the MY, but I don't find the Q7 slow or heavy compared to some of the Ice SUV's I have driven in this class. I am sure the MY is much more faster, but I am looking for a balance between sport/and comfort. The reason for wanting to change car is to get into an EV while the second hand car market is hot.

I have not driven the MY, but I don't find the Q7 slow or heavy compared to some of the Ice SUV's I have driven in this class. I am sure the MY is much more faster, but I am looking for a balance between sport/and comfort. The reason for wanting to change car is to get into an EV while the second hand car market is hot.
The slowest Model Y is just under TWO seconds faster to 60 vs the Q7. I don't think you realize the huge gap. The MYP is like in the top 3 for fastest suv's ever. You'd need a Lambo Urus to beat one.

For fun, give the ICE cars a chance from a roll... And at the time, the cars below are 10K-20K more than the MYP.

The slowest Model Y is just under TWO seconds faster to 60 vs the Q7. I don't think you realize the huge gap. The MYP is like in the top 3 for fastest suv's ever. You'd need a Lambo Urus to beat one.
Yes, it is fast, and I am not disagreeing. I am stating that the Q7 is not slow among the ice SUV's in its class (GLS, X5/7 etc.). Also, I am not looking for the fastest. just a decent reliable EV that is comfortable with the latest technology.

Reactions: sleepydoc