Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move from Audi Q7 to Model Y or alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it is fast, and I am not disagreeing. I am stating that the Q7 is not slow among the ice SUV's in its class (GLS, X5/7 etc.). Also, I am not looking for the fastest. just a decent reliable EV that is comfortable with the latest technology.
Hmm, it is slow. A two second drop is freaking HUUGE. A three second drop is Gargantuan. It's just your frame of reference is aligned to your Q7. If you do end up getting one, your reference points will change. The LR won't seem so fast after a while. If you get a MYP, after some time you might be like others asking for MOAR power. Also, keep in mind my first post. These cars lean more towards sport than suv so I think it all makes sense given the speed that the Y is capable of.

I think it's hard for some folks to be objective after putting down 60-70k for a car. Maybe they are all in w/ Tesla's vision. I'm just trying to be honest here. It's a great car for a lot of things but don't think it's a "smooth" ride by any means.

Once you hit that first pothole you'll understand. It's quite jarring.
I came from a 2019 C300 with 18" run flats. The ride is similar on my 2022 MYP. Wife and kids have not complained about a rougher ride at all. Our other car is a 2021 Infiniti QX60 which also has run flats and the ride isn't much softer.

• Informative
Reactions: sleepydoc
That's the thing. On a regular SUV, you just run over potholes and it's not a big deal. Not sure why I have to constantly dodge road imperfections on a family "SUV".
A car if front of me recently I guess tried to avoid a pothole, but because it was near an intersection, I was thinking that the driver was turning to the right.

In fact, I was very surprised to se the car going back into the lane. It might be safer then in this case to pass over the pothole in congested traffic.

Reactions: bobbyjae
I do prefer the smooth cushy ride, I had a BMW sedan, loved it during the test drive, but hated it once I had it and felt every uneven road surface.
I decided several years ago to always rent any car I am considering purchasing, BEFORE I buy it.

I was able to get the local Tesla store to allow me to take a Model 3 home for the night, so my son could decide for sure if he preferred the Model 3 or the BMW M240 (he took delivery of his new Model 3 Performance this past Saturday)

My point is, rent a Model Y on Turo for a day or two, and really live with it! (It'll cost you a few bucks, but small change compared to purchasing an expensive car, then realizing a month later that you're not happy with it)

A 20 minute test drive just doesn't tell you enough about any car!

I've had my Y Performance since end of December, and love it, but the fact that *I* love it doesn't mean that YOU will love it!

Good luck!

Reactions: sleepydoc
I came from a 2019 C300 with 18" run flats. The ride is similar on my 2022 MYP. Wife and kids have not complained about a rougher ride at all. Our other car is a 2021 Infiniti QX60 which also has run flats and the ride isn't much softer.
I had a MB C300 with 18" tires and BMW 428 with 20" tires. The C300 was much smoother ride. BMW passes every bump to me. I feel MYP with 21" is in between of them.

Each person's feeling is different. Some may think MYP is too rough, I don't. Turo one for a day or two to feel yourself.

I have a 2018 Q7 Progressiv which is the same as the Premium Plus in the US. 3.0 engine. Coil suspension and OEM 20’s with 275/45/20 as opposed to 285/45/20 OEM size. Also had a 2014 Q5 2.0T and a 2016 A4 2.0T.

Just got a 2022 MYLR on Inductions and put on 255/45/20 Vredestein Quatrac Pros right away and run them at 38 psi cold.

Personally I’m happy with the MY. After driving a week the Q7 feels too wobbly and not as tight.

The MY rides in between the 2014 Q5 and the 2016 A4.

Sold the 2016 A4 and the Q5 went to my parents. Q7 goes to my parents tomorrow.

We’re going to live with the MY with the thought that if we find the ride to be too harsh for us, we will get an E Tron or E Tron S.

I will say so far I’m loving the MY.

I decided several years ago to always rent any car I am considering purchasing, BEFORE I buy it.

I was able to get the local Tesla store to allow me to take a Model 3 home for the night, so my son could decide for sure if he preferred the Model 3 or the BMW M240 (he took delivery of his new Model 3 Performance this past Saturday)

My point is, rent a Model Y on Turo for a day or two, and really live with it! (It'll cost you a few bucks, but small change compared to purchasing an expensive car, then realizing a month later that you're not happy with it)

A 20 minute test drive just doesn't tell you enough about any car!

I've had my Y Performance since end of December, and love it, but the fact that *I* love it doesn't mean that YOU will love it!

Good luck!
This is good advice and I agree a 20min test drive doesn’t tell much. BTW - has the build quality become better? Any other issues I should be aware or, does it leave you stranded? I need a reliable car above all and don’t want to deal with taking the car to service frequently. Hope things have improved and this early quirks have been ironed out.

I have a 2018 Q7 Progressiv which is the same as the Premium Plus in the US. 3.0 engine. Coil suspension and OEM 20’s with 275/45/20 as opposed to 285/45/20 OEM size. Also had a 2014 Q5 2.0T and a 2016 A4 2.0T.

Just got a 2022 MYLR on Inductions and put on 255/45/20 Vredestein Quatrac Pros right away and run them at 38 psi cold.

Personally I’m happy with the MY. After driving a week the Q7 feels too wobbly and not as tight.

The MY rides in between the 2014 Q5 and the 2016 A4.

Sold the 2016 A4 and the Q5 went to my parents. Q7 goes to my parents tomorrow.

We’re going to live with the MY with the thought that if we find the ride to be too harsh for us, we will get an E Tron or E Tron S.

I will say so far I’m loving the MY.
I also reduced the PSI to 38 on our MYLR with OEM tires and find the ride comfortable. It feels just a tad stiff and jittery at recommended 42 PSI but 38 takes the edge off and I find it smooth and comfortable coming from a lifetime of Lexus vehicles.

When I first test drove a MYP, coming from a Model S, I immediately thought “nope,nope,nope, way too stiff and would be a downgrade from the S”. I even wrote a few posts about never getting a Y. However, I couldn’t ignore the other tangible qualities of the Y — better second row, extra space in a smaller form factor over the S, more range and 2x faster charging, etc. The wife and I both test drove a MYLR and found it much less jarring than the Performance. We both love our MYLR, surprisingly even more so than the S, and finished a 400-mile leg of our current road trip in the Y and everyone was comfortable with zero complaints. We drove for two 3-hour stretches and zero complaints from the family and no one needed an early break. Ironically we road-tripped in a Sienna years ago and you expect a minivan to be great for trips but the seats are terrible for long drives and the family needed stops every 1.5 hours with the Sienna XLE.

Definitely test drive both versions of the Model Y before you decide. I was concerned about the ride quality at first too but have zero regrets coming from floaty Toyotas and Lexuses. If we were to get a second car another Y LR or P is definitely a consideration, that’s how great we think the Y is!

Reactions: cusetownusa
I’ve never driven a Q7 but my mom recently got an etron and I’ve driven it a fair bit. The etron’s ride is definitely much more compliant than the MYP, even in Dynamic mode, but the MYP’s ride feels fine to me after back to back drives with the etron. I guess I’m not that sensitive to ride quality of most vehicles, but I do think the MYP’s relative harsher ride is consistent with its performance premise.

By the way, even with all the hate the V11 UI is getting (I do like it), I think it’s orders of magnitude more logically laid out than the Audi MMI. I still struggle to find some settings in the Audi after many drives, but have never had an issue quickly finding what I wanted to adjust in the Tesla.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I have a Q5 and a MYLR. The Q5 is much more of a refined and fairly soft drive, the Q7 would take it up another notch or three.

The MYLR you feel every bump in comparison (even when I had 19 stock on), but it’s much more a joy to drive, not even close.

It’s even a sportier drive than my older 2011 S4. But again the S4 is still more refined and smoother even though it has the sport suspension.

If you’re looking for a smooth drive, maybe wait for the Audi Q4? If you want a fun to drive quasi sports CUV go with the Y.