Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move from Audi Q7 to Model Y or alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is good advice and I agree a 20min test drive doesn’t tell much. BTW - has the build quality become better? Any other issues I should be aware or, does it leave you stranded? I need a reliable car above all and don’t want to deal with taking the car to service frequently. Hope things have improved and this early quirks have been ironed out.
After five months and 10,000, I've really had no issues whatsoever!

When I picked up my Model Y, there was some plastic left in the ceiling liner, which they quickly removed.

Panel gaps were all very close in size, paint was really excellent... really, I TRIED to find something wrong, and couldn't.

My son picked up his Model 3 last Saturday, and his car does have a few, minor isssues. The gap from the bottom of the rear glass hatch looks like it's too long, so the trunk needs to be adjusted. When you look at the bottom of the rear glass, you can see the drain holes and rubber, while on other Model 3's, you can't.

He found one other, minor issue with the paint. Honestly, if he had the car for over a week, you'd never notice it, but being it's a brand new, rather expensive car, he let Tesla know about it and they have scheduled to come to our house and fix it (a tiny speck underneath the clear coat, towards the rear of the car.

My son has put on 600 miles in 7 days, so I THINK he's loving his car!

Honestly, I probably lucked out with my Y, really having ZERO issues, but I also think with all of the negative feedback, people probably nit pick when taking delivery.

I've only had my Model Y for five months, so I can't tell you if it'll continue to be problem free. I can tell you that my wife and I fight over who gets to drive the Y! We both really love the car (otherwise, I'd figure there's no way my son would have gotten a Model 3 five months after we got our Model Y)

Both are Performance versions, if that matters.

Good luck!

Reactions: sleepydoc
Can someone also tell me the maintenance cost specially with ties that I have heard. This may not be true as it like 3rd 4th party information. a relative of mine said they hear from owners that the tires wear out much faster and you need to replace all of them even if it’s one tire that’s gone bad?

Also, Is there an app that I can compare changing cost for my state vs. gas savings? Etc.

Can someone also tell me the maintenance cost specially with ties that I have heard. This may not be true as it like 3rd 4th party information. a relative of mine said they hear from owners that the tires wear out much faster and you need to replace all of them even if it’s one tire that’s gone bad?

Also, Is there an app that I can compare changing cost for my state vs. gas savings? Etc.
Tire wear is totally depends on your driving style and road condition. Some people wear out theirs less than 10k miles and some at over 20k miles or more.
The gas savings is already built into the car price, so there is no real savings, but at least you can feel better. If your ultimate goal is to save money, EVs are not the answer. You want a sub-compact 4 cylinder sedan that can do 35 mpg and costs $20k or less.

Reactions: pbcsd

One more point on the gas savings - also depends on how much you drive per year. In my case, we drive 40,000km per year, and gas cost here is quite high. So overall saving on gas expense is insane - more than makes up for the difference in car cost.

Compare to our previous X3 (30% cheaper than our Y when new), the total ownership cost of Model Y for me, has been significantly cheaper.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Tire wear on an EV typically IS more expensive and is required more frequently due to the weight of the battery, and due to the amazing torque most EVs have. These two factors do wear your tires out more quickly then an ICE vehicle.

Don't know about having to replace all tires if only one tire is worn down.

The Tesla app will actually show you your ACTUAL charging cost based on what utility company your home is in, and compares that to the average gas price in your state.

In my situation, living in California which is a very large state, average gas cost in the state won't necessarily show me the correct gas prices in my area (my area is probably the highest prices in California, currently high $6, low $7 per gallon.

Net effect is the app furnishes me with savings that are probably on the low side.

If/when you use a Tesla Supercharger, the app will show you the actual price you paid for that Supercharger for charging.

In the photo below, you'll see I spent (actual price) $152 to charge my Model Y this month (didn't use a SC this month, or it would have shown it in a different color) and the equivalent cost if I was in an ICE vehicle, based on avg. cost of gas in California, would have been $409!

A savings of $257.

One shortfall of the app, it only shows you the past 30 days, no annual history or any other history of savings.

Screenshot_20220606-094127_Tesla (1).jpg

On the gas savings part - there are so many variables but the way I did it was calculate the cost per km to drive in our Q7, based on how much we were spending on gas vs. how many kms I'd actually get out of a tank.

No joke - just fuel cost us about $0.52/km in Vancouver, BC. CAD - all costs in this post.

We've only had the Model Y just over 2 weeks, but so far the cost for electricity has been about $0.03/km based on what we're paying per kWh.

It's not lost on me that the Q7 is a totally different class of vehicle than the Model Y - so it's really also not comparing apples to apples here.

The price we paid for our Q7 in early 2019 (new) was $69K before taxes and fees. The Model Y (new) was $73K before taxes and fees. Craxy!

Slightly off topic. But does Tesla have Apple CarPlay? The new CarPlay sneak peek today looks so awesome. I really hope Tesla has CarPlay support. I am a Apple fanboy and I know Tesla fans probably have a different opinion. Not looking to see who’s better, juts that as a consumer the more choices we have the better for all of us.

Slightly off topic. But does Tesla have Apple CarPlay? The new CarPlay sneak peek today looks so awesome. I really hope Tesla has CarPlay support. I am a Apple fanboy and I know Tesla fans probably have a different opinion. Not looking to see who’s better, juts that as a consumer the more choices we have the better for all of us.
No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Personally, apple car play or android auto is useless. By the way, I am an Apple fanboi as well. =)

No and will never have apple crap play

One thing I don't see mentioned often enough in these Model Y ride quality comparisons is how much the ride quality has changed and improved in the latest iterations of the MY, including the MYP. You'll notice almost all of the folks complaining about extremely harsh MY rides have early builds from 2020 and early '21, and those saying it's not that bad have recent builds from the last 6 months-ish. In fact, my parents had their MYP delivered at the end of December and the ride is absolutely CRISP. Like appreciably better than my March 2021 M3LR in both suspension comfort and even road noise. Tesla obviously made some worthwhile changes to their Y suspension setups sometime in Q3/Q4 2021.

All that said, if you do end up feeling the need to test drive a Y to validate the ride quality make sure it's a newer one so you're giving it a fair shake.

No Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Personally, apple car play or android auto is useless. By the way, I am an Apple fanboi as well. =)
Can’t comment on Apple CarPlay. But I miss Android Auto, though really just the Waze integration.

The Tesla navigation and traffic rerouting is woeful in comparison. Have been doing some side by side runs and Waze is miles ahead, pardon the pun.

One thing I don't see mentioned often enough in these Model Y ride quality comparisons is how much the ride quality has changed and improved in the latest iterations of the MY, including the MYP. You'll notice almost all of the folks complaining about extremely harsh MY rides have early builds from 2020 and early '21, and those saying it's not that bad have recent builds from the last 6 months-ish. In fact, my parents had their MYP delivered at the end of December and the ride is absolutely CRISP. Like appreciably better than my March 2021 M3LR in both suspension comfort and even road noise. Tesla obviously made some worthwhile changes to their Y suspension setups sometime in Q3/Q4 2021.

All that said, if you do end up feeling the need to test drive a Y to validate the ride quality make sure it's a newer one so you're giving it a fair shake.
I just got my MYLR a few weeks ago. Can’t comment on previous Ys, but again my 2018 Q5 is a significantly more comfortable ride. Would put it at say a 7 or 8 out of 10 on how the suspension handles road imperfections. The Y? Maybe a 5 to 6?

In terms of fun to drive? The Y an 8 or 9, the Q5…a 5 or 6.

Plus the seats of the Q5 are breathable and cooled. I find the Y a more comfortable seat but man do I miss the cooling and breath-ability of the Audi seats.

I just got my MYLR a few weeks ago. Can’t comment on previous Ys, but again my 2018 Q5 is a significantly more comfortable ride. Would put it at say a 7 or 8 out of 10 on how the suspension handles road imperfections. The Y? Maybe a 5 to 6?

In terms of fun to drive? The Y an 8 or 9, the Q5…a 5 or 6.

Plus the seats of the Q5 are breathable and cooled. I find the Y a more comfortable seat but man do I miss the cooling and breath-ability of the Audi seats.

I'd say that's a fair comparison too, the Y being slightly less comfortable than an Audi is totally reasonable and not surprising. It's the "worst ride on the planet" comments that I think we need to keep in mind are specific to those early Y owners.

And oh my god yes, ventilated (or even actively cooled) seats are a feature I'd happily pay extra for if given the option. Cmon Tesla!

Reactions: whisperingshad
If I were coming from a Q7, I would go straight for the model X Plaid. It has the air suspension, tri-motor setup, and has the really nice 6 seat setup with the captains chairs.

That said, Tesla currently doesn’t have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto but you can still use Waze if you set up a magnetic charger and pair Bluetooth audio. I’m an Apple user so I always want things to be more integrated but after screwing around with HomeKit since inception, it’s been only ok and I could have done a better job building my own integrations and software. I’m sure Tesla will in time do a better job. I’m still awaiting an MYP but I’m excited to have one.

If I were coming from a Q7, I would go straight for the model X Plaid. It has the air suspension, tri-motor setup, and has the really nice 6 seat setup with the captains chairs.

That said, Tesla currently doesn’t have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto but you can still use Waze if you set up a magnetic charger and pair Bluetooth audio. I’m an Apple user so I always want things to be more integrated but after screwing around with HomeKit since inception, it’s been only ok and I could have done a better job building my own integrations and software. I’m sure Tesla will in time do a better job. I’m still awaiting an MYP but I’m excited to have one.

OT, but when you say you can use Waze by pairing BlueTooth Audio, doesn't that mean all you hear through the speakers is Waze?

I will go drive my friends 22 Y LR he got last month and see

Can’t comment on Apple CarPlay. But I miss Android Auto, though really just the Waze integration.

The Tesla navigation and traffic rerouting is woeful in comparison. Have been doing some side by side runs and Waze is miles ahead, pardon the pun.
I totally agree with you on Waze being way better, but not to replace the main screen with the inferior Android UI. I run Waze on my phone separately and compare the two simultaneously.