Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move from Audi Q7 to Model Y or alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT, but when you say you can use Waze by pairing BlueTooth Audio, doesn't that mean all you hear through the speakers is Waze?
I am unsure if that’s the case on the Model Y since I have yet to receive mine. I used to use Waze with the radio in older vehicles with instructions interrupting radio whenever they came up. I am assuming that can work with Bluetooth A2DP on the Tesla vehicles too. I could probably play Apple Music while using Waze too. I’ll still use the built-in Tesla infotainment and navigation but I’ll probably use Waze on top of that too.

If I were coming from a Q7, I would go straight for the model X Plaid. It has the air suspension, tri-motor setup, and has the really nice 6 seat setup with the captains chairs.

That said, Tesla currently doesn’t have Apple CarPlay or Android Auto but you can still use Waze if you set up a magnetic charger and pair Bluetooth audio. I’m an Apple user so I always want things to be more integrated but after screwing around with HomeKit since inception, it’s been only ok and I could have done a better job building my own integrations and software. I’m sure Tesla will in time do a better job. I’m still awaiting an MYP but I’m excited to have one.
Or like, buy a MYP and another Q7 for the same cost as one MXP. A Q7 and MXP are in different leagues of pricing. The MYP will replace a ‘15 Accord and the Lightning will replace the Q7. Cybertruck will be a game time decision.

Had a Model S 2017, then a Model 3 P, etron sportback and finally a Model Y LR. No regrets switching to MY LR. Apart for the ride quality in interior quality Audi felt like a 10 yo car. Laggy infotainment, engine start button, 3 screens, inaccurate range estimate and so on... After owning a MY LR for 9 months, I got used to harsher ride and I am so ready for the MYP - arriving in 3-4 weeks from now. 🥰

Last edited:
On any test drive, if your solo…stop
Somewhere and deflate the tires to 38psi from 42/43. Literally corner of a credit card will do. Keep the drivers door open a smudge and read the psi indicator on each tire as you reduce it.

You’ll notice a huge diff in those smaller bumps and how it absorbs. I run my new MYP at 38/39psi vs the 43/44 it was delivered with.
What a difference in dampening those continual bumps.

I do miss a more luxurious feel interior wise but makes up for it not pulling into gas stations, instant Google maps and watching Netflix/YouTube while waiting for kids soccer practices to end lol 😂 Godsent!

Reactions: FatherTo1
Or like, buy a MYP and another Q7 for the same cost as one MXP. A Q7 and MXP are in different leagues of pricing. The MYP will replace a ‘15 Accord and the Lightning will replace the Q7. Cybertruck will be a game time decision.
Wow, is the Q7 that price now? I thought that the vehicles are quite similar in size. For some reason I thought the Q7 would have a comparable price to an MXP. The Lightning Platinum is quite awesome but it’s also in the $90k range MSRP and with the dealerships, they have been marking them up pretty aggressively. It looks like a great utility vehicle despite the price and with the wiring, they essentially act as a really big power wall for the home.

Wow, is the Q7 that price now? I thought that the vehicles are quite similar in size. For some reason I thought the Q7 would have a comparable price to an MXP. The Lightning Platinum is quite awesome but it’s also in the $90k range MSRP and with the dealerships, they have been marking them up pretty aggressively. It looks like a great utility vehicle despite the price and with the wiring, they essentially act as a really big power wall for the home.
Yah. Not only that, but this would be for a top end 2022 Q7 Prestige @ $73K plus MYP is $68K = $141K. MXP = $139K. Really, from a cost, cargo space standpoint Q7 and MY are on par with eachother. With one you get the nice ride and the other you get the fun ride.

On Lightnings, a lot depends on a lot. I'm gonna get Lariat trim for around $80K and none of the dealers in my area are marking up for orders placed on line. They will order their own and undoubtedly mark those up. I'm excited for the Ford, but I know CT will be MUCH better so it will boil down to how much better it is when I get it. If CT ends up like Hummers with people paying $100K premiums....it's going to be a tough decision for me.

I'd say that's a fair comparison too, the Y being slightly less comfortable than an Audi is totally reasonable and not surprising. It's the "worst ride on the planet" comments that I think we need to keep in mind are specific to those early Y owners.

And oh my god yes, ventilated (or even actively cooled) seats are a feature I'd happily pay extra for if given the option. Cmon Tesla!
Yes, I may be wrong, but isn’t Tesla missing some of the creature comfort like you mentioned ventilated seats, not sure if they have the most cutting edge light technology like some German cars do. Auto high/low beams laser/matrix headlights or whatever it is called.

If I were coming from a Q7, I would go straight for the model X Plaid. It has the air suspension, tri-motor setup, and has the really nice 6 seat setup with the captains chairs.
Then you're talking about going from $60K to $150K. Yes, in terms of size and creature comfort, they're meant to be similar, but boy the sticker shock of going to a MXP. I always thought the Q7 is in the same range as a BMW x7, i.e. $75K-80K base MSRP, but just googled Q7 and its base is only $57K? Even a MYLR is more expensive than that.

EDIT: didn't see the earlier post where the price difference was already mentioned. LOL.

On any test drive, if your solo…stop
Somewhere and deflate the tires to 38psi from 42/43. Literally corner of a credit card will do. Keep the drivers door open a smudge and read the psi indicator on each tire as you reduce it.

You’ll notice a huge diff in those smaller bumps and how it absorbs. I run my new MYP at 38/39psi vs the 43/44 it was delivered with.
What a difference in dampening those continual bumps.

I do miss a more luxurious feel interior wise but makes up for it not pulling into gas stations, instant Google maps and watching Netflix/YouTube while waiting for kids soccer practices to end lol 😂 Godsent!
I will have similar use case too 😀. Do you have the performance tire or the standard tires?

Just be aware that dropping down to 38psi/39psi you give up a lil efficiency. I'm sure you already know that but it needs to be written. Also realize that anytime you go to SC, they'll jack your tire pressures all the way up to 45psi, so after getting the car back it will ride harsher. And that's why....

Reactions: Destiny1701
Just be aware that dropping down to 38psi/39psi you give up a lil efficiency. I'm sure you already know that but it needs to be written. Also realize that anytime you go to SC, they'll jack your tire pressures all the way up to 45psi, so after getting the car back it will ride harsher. And that's why....
Or tell the SC to leave it alone and they won’t touch the psi unless under 36 and triggering the sensor. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Bit of efficiency for more day to day comfort? Decent trade off I’d say.

The diff for the MYP is noticeable.

Reactions: Best_EV
Or tell the SC to leave it alone and they won’t touch the psi unless under 36 and triggering the sensor. 🤷🏽‍♂️ Bit of efficiency for more day to day comfort? Decent trade off I’d say.

The diff for the MYP is noticeable.
I’ve been running our MYLR at 38 PSI shortly after delivery and haven’t noticed much efficiency hit compared to stock 42 PSI, except for a more comfortable ride. After almost 18,000 miles, lifetime average is 252 Wh/m. To hit EPA range you need to average 240 Wh/m and I’m not far off from that. Often times I’m 10% better than EPA when commuting around town.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Anyone here move from a 7 seater SUV (Q7) to model Y? how did it work out? any regrets? I got online quotes from caravan (28K) and Carmax (38K) surprised for my 2018 q7 premium plus. The wait is long for model Y and maybe we can get away with just 1 car in the meantime. With gas prices so high (which will come down eventually) and Q7 out of the warranty period, I am wondering if I should sell my q7 and get a MY. However, I have read that the ride of MY is rough, is there any truth to this? has the build quality improved? does CarPlay work?

Thoughts?
We had a 2014 Q7 TDI for 150k miles, and now have a 2021 MY LR. I would say the ride is similar, and quite comfortable in both. I would rank our Q7 and our MY as the best family haulers we've owned in 20 years. Yes the ride in both is more firm than most American SUVs, and even our Volvo XC60 that we had for a short time which had a shockingly soft and sometimes barely controllable suspension. I think you will find them similar, and will love it.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteWi
I didn’t know and thanks for pointing that out but I think I am ok with giving up a little bit of efficiency.

Once I test drive and like the car, one think I will have a problem with is the used car price I am getting now for my q7 but Tesla delivery way out into early next year. I am not sure what the used car market will be then. So I have to see how I want to move forward with this.

Although I do agree and expect a reduction in efficiency, I haven’t seen a noticeable drop in daily commutes. Driving style and speed still make a far greater impact on range. The lower PSI is easily worth the more comfortable ride.

I dropped 4 PSI on both our Model Y and previous Model S. Even though the S had the newer Raven air suspension at the time, I could hear a rattle behind the dash at stock tire pressure but the rattle went away when I lowered the PSI by 4 and it improved the ride further without a noticeable (to me) drop in efficiency. I still beat EPA efficiency figures in both the Y and S by significant margins.

My normal commute involves driving my daughter to school and then literally driving back almost home to go to work (my office happens to be 4 minutes from my house). So this is a 90% roundtrip commute to negate any one-way downhill scenarios. In the best conditions I am surprised the Model Y slightly edges out the more aerodynamic Model S, 196 vs 200 Wh/m respectively on the drive (both with 4 PSI lower than stock).

Also, we sold the S at 23,000 miles with a lifetime average of 258 Wh/m (EPA is 254 Wh/m for 2019 Standard Range Model S) and so far the Modely Y at 18,000 miles is averaging lifetime of 252 Wh/m (EPA rated 240 Wh/m).

775E9E0C-F982-48B7-85BE-1BF9D2ED2C0B.jpeg

... so far the Modely Y at 18,000 miles is averaging lifetime of 252 Wh/m (EPA rated 240 Wh/m).

View attachment 814158
Do we have the same car?! LOL. My YLR's lifetime efficiency is also 252 wh/mi right now, and I'm only a couple of K miles behind yours. Also, the highest point for me was 272 Wh/mi after 9K miles, and it's been steadily declining since then. It would be cool if I can get to 250 lifetime and stay there.

Reactions: FatherTo1