Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move Over Tesla. Here Comes Cadillac.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM/Cadillac is generally risk-averse and Super Cruise is 1-2 years behind schedule. So I'm expecting a fairly robust system when this goes on sale. The details also seem well-thought-out: camera to monitor driver's attention or lack thereof (rather than guessing based on steering input), very visible light on the steering wheel and seat vibrations to get driver's attention when needed to take over etc.

I'm curious to see how Cadillac's approach of pre-mapping roads with LIDAR compares with Tesla's crowd-sourced approach to getting finer-grain detail that rad is able to give. In theory, the Cadillac approach seems more reliable in the early going but the Tesla approach seems more scalable and adaptable. To me, both of these seem preferable to having LIDAR in the cars themselves.

Betting the Caddy won't be slamming on the brakes at overpasses and drifting out of its lane...

My Chevy Volt give me constant forward collision warnings for overpasses and large shadows which kicks you off cruise control on the interstate, so don't hold your breath. Our front camera stopped working and we like the car better without it... Better yet, the manufacture does care and there are never any software improvements, so there is no hope for my car getting better in the future.

I'm betting that several automakers are about to find out just how hard even L2 is in real world use with all the vaguaries of lighting, and road conditions. Just look at how tough Tesla are finding it with HW2 and they've already done it once over.

I just hope that none of them screw it up too bad
a)nobody want to see someone get hurt, and
b) if systems prove to be too unreliable I can see the regulators getting very heavy handed

My Chevy Volt give me constant forward collision warnings for overpasses and large shadows which kicks you off cruise control on the interstate, so don't hold your breath. Our front camera stopped working and we like the car better without it... Better yet, the manufacture does care and there are never any software improvements, so there is no hope for my car getting better in the future.

Exact opposite here. Flawless. Best ACC I've seen, IMO better than the CT6 system. No software updates necessary, it's excellent as shipped compared to other cars. Software doesn't wear out. It's either coded right or wrong. "OH! My software is worn! I must not have dusted it off enough."

Post a picture of the front of your car.

BTW why would you decide staring a warning light every day is a superior driving experience?

The article made clear that the new software would rely upon over-the-air updates.

Right... The dealer network is just going to give up that power without a fight??? Come on... The OTA update "ban" is written into the dealer contracts they sign with GM/Ford/etc... Why? Because forcing people to come in for a software update generates ancillary revenue for the dealerships now that most of their primary revenue comes from service.

Furthermore, you seem hilariously confident GMs system is going to immediately best Tesla's... Right now it's just vaporware like every thing else that's supposedly going to kill Tesla...

All I can really do at this point is just laugh...

Jeff

EDIT: Okay so I went and read the article and it was clear, which apparently you missed despite claiming the article was clear on your statement, that only the mapping updates would be OTA... That's a HUGE gap between what Tesla can do...

Do they realize that roads change especially in the summer road construction season? Tesla having thousands more current data points seems like a better system even if the maps are not as accurate.

GM/Cadillac is generally risk-averse and Super Cruise is 1-2 years behind schedule. So I'm expecting a fairly robust system when this goes on sale. The details also seem well-thought-out: camera to monitor driver's attention or lack thereof (rather than guessing based on steering input), very visible light on the steering wheel and seat vibrations to get driver's attention when needed to take over etc.

I'm curious to see how Cadillac's approach of pre-mapping roads with LIDAR compares with Tesla's crowd-sourced approach to getting finer-grain detail that rad is able to give. In theory, the Cadillac approach seems more reliable in the early going but the Tesla approach seems more scalable and adaptable. To me, both of these seem preferable to having LIDAR in the cars themselves.

Here's a video demo, also includes clip of the lidar map data.

Definitely an interesting approach. Good to know the LiDAR data, but can't rely on it due to construction, etc. Perhaps they could map out known potholes, etc. But those are subject to change as well.

Maybe you have to be following the LIDAR van to work :)

It does sound interesting. Will be exciting to see how all of this plays out!

• Love
Reactions: Cowbell
By then AP2 will be driving with AS on local roads and freeway driving will be flawless while GM's "Super Cruise will be restricted to only “divided, limited-access highways — highways with defined ‘on-’ and ‘off-ramps,’”, not to mention early issues and concerns that need to be ironed out.

You really think Tesla is going to just sit tight and make cheap Model 3's and hope the rest of the industry doesn't catch up?

Have some faith :)

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
By then AP2 will be driving with AS on local roads and freeway driving will be flawless while GM's "Super Cruise will be restricted to only “divided, limited-access highways — highways with defined ‘on-’ and ‘off-ramps,’”, not to mention early issues and concerns that need to be ironed out.

You really think Tesla is going to just sit tight and make cheap Model 3's and hope the rest of the industry doesn't catch up?

Have some faith :)

This isn't tesla that releases pre-alpha in-development software. There won't be early issues and concerns.
second of all, AP2 has big problems that it has to overcome. You would hope freeway driving would be flawless by fall but don't hold your breathe cause all signs point to the actual EAP features being even more hands on than hands free. I mean AP2 still can't recognize trucks and vans, breaking for overhead signs and bridges and taking curves too fast.

if super cruise can work as advertised, it would destroy AP.

I like what Cadillac is doing to verify that users are still paying attention. To those AP1 users.. Do you have to hold the steering wheel all the time? I try to use AP 2.0 but it requires my hands be on the wheel and nags almost every minute for me to hold the wheel. I have been trying to understand why Auto Pilot needs my hands on the wheel. If I have to keep my hands on the wheel I might as well be driving it.

If this is real this is very bad for Tesla. Right now "enhanced" AP2 is a total failure and running joke, not even reaching L2 autonomy. The nags every 30 second make it all pointless anyway. Why have autopilot if you have to keep your hand on the steering wheel? I might as well just drive myself.

And look at the interior build quality. And I bet this thing won't cost $100k.

If this is real this is very bad for Tesla. Right now "enhanced" AP2 is a total failure and running joke, not even reaching L2 autonomy. The nags every 30 second make it all pointless anyway. Why have autopilot if you have to keep your hand on the steering wheel? I might as well just drive myself.

And look at the interior build quality. And I bet this thing won't cost $100k.

Clearly the Caddy is for you! If you get one, post your experiences so we can compare.