Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Move Over Tesla. Here Comes Cadillac.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I have no idea why you'd spend $23k on an sluggish family econobox with a clutch. Especially a $16k one.

The base Camaro is as cheap as the Sport Civic, but is actually a sports car not a fast-n-furious fashionista.

I doubt you know very much about cars, s

You asserted GM's alleged engineering superiority by claiming nobody could build a better car at a similar price point.

The C&D article not only showed this to be false, but also showed that GM's product was completely inferior to Mazda and VW, as well as Honda.

Oh, and btw, the Civic Sport starts at 21.3k, while the base Camaro starts at 26.9k. So maybe you should rethink telling people they don't know much about cars when your own facts aren't straight. Same price? LOL.

Reactions: EinSV

It is NOT a mark of "far ahead" that GM delivers a markedly worse compact hatchback car than Honda at the same price point.

You are in the majority. Most Americans believe American workers and engineers are incompetent, lazy, corrupt, and of below average intelligence.
Yet most have no idea what a blueprint or solid model really entails either, nor have any idea how to make things. They believe stock market gamblers are smarter than engineers.

It is truly ironic that those with the least amount of education and training claim to know more about how things are made today than engineers do.

Here's a partially informed viewpoint. I've seen blueprints and/or solid models from most companies producing more than 50,000 cars a year, including EV companies you are familiar with.

The best manufacturing engineers tends to be American. Design engineers? Tough call, probably a tie between America and Germany.

You asserted GM's alleged engineering superiority by claiming nobody could build a better car at a similar price point.

The C&D article not only showed this to be false, but also showed that GM's product was completely inferior to Mazda and VW, as well as Honda.

Oh, and btw, the Civic Sport starts at 21.3k, while the base Camaro starts at 26.9k. So maybe you should rethink telling people they don't know much about cars when your own facts aren't straight. Same price? LOL.

Roughly same percentage price difference between Camaro and the $23k Civic Sport as the base Cruze and Civic. Both the Sport Civic and Camaro require premium and run a tiny 4 banger. The Camaro is programmed to accept regular and remaps the ignition and O2 tables to adjust on the fly. One is much faster, Why? Better chassis, suspension, and engine.

So the Honda Sport is a better sports car than a Cruze is in the el cheapo family car market. The Cruze is quieter, more comfy, and seldom sold with a manual. Because it's an entry level family car and Chevrolet already sells sports cars, which Honda really does not.

A Camaro is faster on a road race course than anything Honda/Acura has in their lineup. A Camaro. Mullet, missing teeth, and marriage to a cousin are optional at extra cost. It has a freakin' pushrod V8 with 2 valves per cylinder stuffed in the nose. That must smart for Honda/Acura engineers.

Last edited:
Roughly same percentage price difference between Camaro and the $23k Civic Sport as the base Cruze and Civic.

You obviously do not understand that these vehicles are designed and built for different purposes at different price points.

You are in the majority. Most Americans believe American workers and engineers are incompetent, lazy, corrupt, and of below average intelligence.

The best manufacturing engineers tends to be American. Design engineers? Tough call, probably a tie between America and Germany.

A nonsensical argument.

Thanks for telling me what I think, haha.

On the contrary, I have very high regard for American engineering, and so do most automakers. Why else would a company like Honda build so many factories in North America and move more and more R&D to the US?

And people don't drive blueprints or solid models. What matters is the final product in the hands of the customer.

Whether the blueprints or solid models for the Cruze were the best in the world doesn't matter. It still did not perform as well as the Civic, Mazda3, or VW in the comparison test.

You obviously do not understand that these vehicles are designed and built for different purposes at different price points.

A nonsensical argument.

Thanks for telling me what I think, haha.

On the contrary, I have very high regard for American engineering, and so do most automakers. Why else would a company like Honda build so many factories in North America and move more and more R&D to the US?

And people don't drive blueprints or solid models. What matters is the final product in the hands of the customer.

Whether the blueprints or solid models for the Cruze were the best in the world doesn't matter. It still did not perform as well as the Civic, Mazda3, or VW in the comparison test.

The Cruze was also an inferior skiploader to the John Deere.

All 4 of those car models are Whipped Editions. "My wife won't let me buy a sportscar. So I'll get a grocery getter that has a clutch and a plastic wing on it."

• Funny
Reactions: GSP
A new article with more detail on Cadillac's hands-free Super Cruise. It answers some of the questions posted here.

-Infrared driver attention system works even when the driver is wearing dark sunglasses.
- Escalating alerts if driver is inattentive. Lights on steering wheel flash green, then red, then seat vibrates or warning chimes (owner's choice) then a spoken message to take control.
- High Def Lidar maps of 160,000 miles of highways in US and Canada
- Cadillac tested the system on every one of the 160,000 miles
- Hi Def maps gives the driver advance knowledge of when they should take the wheel, such as approaching a toll booth or end of freeway.
- Comprehensive validation the system on all 160,000 miles led to the 12 month delay in roll out

Seems very well thought out and well tested. Also a bargain at $2500.

Inside the mind of Cadillac's Super Cruise

• Informative
Reactions: McRat
All 4 of those car models are Whipped Editions. "My wife won't let me buy a sportscar. So I'll get a grocery getter that has a clutch and a plastic wing on it."

Only an idiot (or perhaps someone who can afford an extra car/ 3rd car just for driving fun) would buy a 2-door sports car with limited utility when they have small children and need to transport larger items on occasion.

I frankly don't care what people think of my car. I'd rather have $ in the bank and the ability to easily get car seats in 2nd row, or throw a chair or tv in the back of I have to.

Someone asked if AP1 needs hands on the wheels all the time. NOT at all. You can be active in social network, eat your burger but keep an eye on the dash and the road, so that you can gently torque the wheel for a second when the alert is displayed.

And the alert comes out not every minute or every two minutes or such. It is a function of how stressed the environment is. If there is a curve after a straight section, it will alert you. If the lanes get fuzzy it sure will. if the speed suddenly increases of decreases quite a bit,etc..

All in all every reliable, very relaxing.

• Disagree
Reactions: Carl and MS16
Someone asked if AP1 needs hands on the wheels all the time. NOT at all. You can be active in social network, eat your burger but keep an eye on the dash and the road, so that you can gently torque the wheel for a second when the alert is displayed....

How can you be Social Networking while driving and watching the road? I see hundreds of folk a week Social Networking while driving, but they do not have AP1. AP1/AP2 is a system designed to reduce fatalities for folk who don't watch the road. Nothing more.

Sounds like Tesla's QA, doesn't it? :)

I guarantee there are an army of lawyers shopping for vacation homes right now in anticipation of Cadillac having an accident with their Super Cruise. If a Cadillac hits a truck crossing the road, we are talking billions of dollars of easy money.

GM does not even have to be at fault to lose billions in a lawsuit.

Someone asked if AP1 needs hands on the wheels all the time. NOT at all. You can be active in social network, eat your burger but keep an eye on the dash and the road, so that you can gently torque the wheel for a second when the alert is displayed.

And the alert comes out not every minute or every two minutes or such. It is a function of how stressed the environment is. If there is a curve after a straight section, it will alert you. If the lanes get fuzzy it sure will. if the speed suddenly increases of decreases quite a bit,etc..

All in all every reliable, very relaxing.

Tesla requires drivers to always have their hands on the wheel. Cadillac's system does not.
I guarantee there are an army of lawyers shopping for vacation homes right now in anticipation of Cadillac having an accident with their Super Cruise. If a Cadillac hits a truck crossing the road, we are talking billions of dollars of easy money.

There shouldn't be any trucks crossing in front because the system is geo-mapped to work on "limited access" highways.

The system is also designed to make sure the driver is paying attention and looking out the window.

According to the article, "The technology is limited to interstates and other divided highways with no cross-traffic -- and it stays active only as long as the driver pays enough attention to keep the car happy."

The geo-mapping and the passive driver attention technology seem like game changers, and certainly something Tesla should consider.

..."The technology is limited to interstates and other divided highways with no cross-traffic -- and it stays active only as long as the driver pays enough attention to keep the car happy."

Correct. Crashes occur when the unexpected happens. Street sweeper, CalTrans, Idiot, Emergency vehicle, etc. Just because a large corp is not actually to blame, doesn't mean they are off-the-hook.

Sidebar1 - GM lost billions on the Exploding Saddle Tank lawsuit. NBC News could not get the trucks to catch fire no matter how fast they crashed. So they reported the fire danger is small? No. Then they drilled a single 1/8" hole and put a squib there. Nope. Drilled more holes and used an Estes model rocket engine and they finally got the fire on the 3rd cheat try. It took several trucks. NBC went to great lengths to cover it up. Years later, it was found NBC was probably bribed, and a major university study on product liability lawsuits also found that Ford and Dodge had the same rate of fires as GM did.

Sidebar2 - Porsche sold a limited number of Carrera GTs, just over 1,000 cars worldwide IIRC. These came with warnings that they were intended for track use and only by trained drivers. A death at a California track in my area still held Porsche to blame because it lacked amateur level digital assistants. This is the same car model that Rojas killed himself and Paul Walker with near my engine builder's shop in Valencia. Ozone damaged 8 year old performance tires (who is that dumb?) and excessive speed is really what cause the death. I don't believe the case is closed yet.

Just because somebody uses your product wrong, against written instructions, does not absolve you of liability anymore.

Sidebar3 - A teen girl open a can of AquaNet hairspray next to gas stove by using a can opener. 3rd degree burns on her face. AquaNet is to blame after going to trial. It was decided that FLAMMABLE on the can could not warn somebody not to open an aerosol can next to a burning stove using a can opener.

Don't worry, one thing GM is excellent about is bankruptcy. World class.

I guess I have no idea why you'd spend $23k on an sluggish family econobox with a clutch. Especially a $16k one.

The base Camaro is as cheap as the Sport Civic, but is actually a sports car not a fast-n-furious fashionista.

Up optioned FWD econoboxes with stick shifts? For people who like to be miserable AND slow together? Or you just have a need to show people you don't how to buy cars? The comedy is the Honda needs Premium. I'm guessing so when you refuel you get to hang with the real cars?

If you wear too much gold jewelry have too many tats and want to put donk wheels on your car, there is no better value.

The cylinder deactivation works excellent. How do you think they get the mileage they do with high HP engines? I won't even explain how GPS and satellites are related. GM still does their own coding and even writes their own operating systems. The EV1 was the most advanced EV of it's day. Nobody wanted it. Until the Roadster arrived, $100k (true price of the EV1) was considered too much for an EV. The Voltec works excellent and Volts are more common in the USA that any other plug in. The CT6 and Bolt chassis are among the best examples of state-of-the-art manufacturing today. The Bolt was shipped in working condition, not all companies today do that. OnStar does do OTA.

I doubt you know very much about cars, so please excuse me when I also state that it is unlikely you know a lot about driving either. So for better or worse, your opinion on how something does or not drive or work is sort of pointless when you don't know much about driving or cars.

You sound like a 12 year old boy telling me 'girls are icky'. OK...

The point was that all of these technological advances have failed to make GM world class in anything. So why don't you tell us again about the Bolt's groundbreaking features like over the air updates (whoops, not available), or why GM's best selling car (Chevy Cruze) is such a world beater that it sells less than the Camry, Civic, Corolla, Altima, Accord, Elantra, Sentra or Fusion.

Auto Sales - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com

But clearly you don't know much about business. It's like talking investments with a hairdresser.