TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Moved from 2013 85 to 2016 90D: wow

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Argelius, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Argelius

Argelius Member

I was a relatively early adopter of the Model S, getting an 85 3 years ago. Never had a moment of regret with that decision and moved into the "I can never go back to a non-electric car!" crowd.

When I learned that my MS was still under Tesla's "guaranteed buyback" program, I investigated and realized this was a perfect time to upgrade.

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I took possession of a 2016 90D. What a difference 3 years make! In addition to all the auto-pilot gizmos (which weren't available back in 2013), I am astounded at what seems to be significant improvements in overall build quality.

My original MS always had lots of minor squeaks and creaks and considerable road noise which always seemed out of place in a $95K+ automobile. The 2016 car is substantially quieter and squeak and creak-free. And OMG -- the new seats are so much better. There are still some disappointments (no grab bars, ventilated seats, no heads-up display, mediocre sound system), but all-in-all, I remain a huge Tesla fan.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my experience as an early-adopter and early-upgrader. ;-)

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  2. JST

JST Active Member

As someone thinking about a similar move, what's your feeling about overall performance? Does the 90D feel significantly faster to you?

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

IMHO it's not about a split second 0-60 speed improvement, it is the whole improvement of the build quality of the car in addition to the vast improvements on the tech side of the car.

4. Argelius

Argelius Member

I guess I should have mentioned that, too. The car definitely handles better with that extra motor driving the front wheels. The whole car just feels so much more stable and tightly planted on the groud (not that the RWD version wasn't). I'm not into timing my 0-60 times, but the car does seem noticeably faster.

5. ZsoZso

ZsoZso Member

Mine is 2014, but just before auto-pilot hardware and still old seats, so I was also playing with the idea of upgrade (and also going for 90D if I do so). What holds me back is the very low value I got in a quote for my old car from Tesla: losing over $40K CAD compared to purchase price for less than 2 years old car.

On the other hand I also want to see in person and test drive an X, considering an X90D as an alternative upgrade option -- which would be an even more expensive upgrade.

May I ask how much money you lost on your old car with the buyback program ?

6. Argelius

Argelius Member

Initially, Tesla quoted me something like $40K for my car, which I found appalling (only 23,000 miles). They then realized I was still part of some guaranteed resale value plan and the trade in jumped to $53,000, which, while still low, was much more palatable.

I ended up leasing the car. The $53,000 trade it covers the downpayment and cost of the lease for 3 years...so it almost seems like I'm getting the new car for free. ;-)

7. Electric700

Electric700 Member

Congrats Argelius!

8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Congrats to the OP. When you have a chance, might want to update your sig :).

GRV works out to about 48% not including any mileage adjustment. Window is months 36-39. In order to qualify, at time of purchase one has to use a Tesla-approved lender and to pay at least 36 months' worth of interest. There are other details but that's the gist of it.