Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Movies and Books - Recommended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
On another thread we are throwing around quotes and stories about "Fletch" both movie and book. So I thought I'd start this thread.

Personal Favorite Movie: "Brazil" by Terry Gilliam

Hilarious Book you probably never heard of: "The Boat that Wouldn't Float" by Farley Mowat

Favorite Author: Harlan Ellison

My favorite Terry Gilliam movie is 12 Monkeys.

I mentioned these on the other thread, but the old Police Squad TV show was beyond brilliant, and far far ahead of its time. If you liked the Naked Gun movies, these six episodes (it was quickly canceled) blow the movie away (and some of the movie's better jokes were stolen from the show).

Favorite new book out -- Humblebrag by Harris Wittels. Any book that can make me laugh out loud on a crowded airplane gets my vote!

There is a Dave Berry book: Big Trouble that I recommend.

And they also made a movie out of it which is equally good.

Sadly it never made the theaters, as it involved a nuclear weapon on a hijacked airplane, and it was due to be released the weekend after Sept. 11, 2001

It is 100% comic and funny, and if you have ever spent any time in Florida a must see.

+1 on 12 Monkeys

Life of Brian.

"Blessed are the cheesemakers"

And +1 for Police Squad!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail is my favorite of the MP movies.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a Dave Berry book: Big Trouble that I recommend.

And they also made a movie out of it which is equally good.

Sadly it never made the theaters, as it involved a nuclear weapon on a hijacked airplane, and it was due to be released the weekend after Sept. 11, 2001

It is 100% comic and funny, and if you have ever spent any time in Florida a must see.

+1 on 12 Monkeys

Dave Barry tells a great story about the non-release of Big Trouble. I think everyone in South Florida loves his writing. His Guide to Guys is a classic.

All Monty Python is great. Getting a little dated since the Cold War ended 30 years ago but still one of the most quoteable comedies: "Dr. Strangelove"

More comedies:

"Bringing Up Baby"
"Arsenic and Old Lace"
"What's Up Doc?"
"The Graduate"
"The In-Laws" original

More subtle and less known:

"Tune in Tomorrow"
"The One and Only"
"And God Spoke..." really hilarious if you've ever been involved in the film industry.
"In the Mood" 1987 You must skip the first 3 minutes and the movie will be twice as funny.

Last edited:
Just finished re watching the short lived Firefly TV series + the Serenity movie.

Gotta give props to Avatar and Blade Runner.

Guess I have a thing for space based Sci-Fi.

Found this:

In the future, governments and economies across the globe have collapsed, food is scarce, NASA is no more, and the 20th Century is to blame. A mysterious rip in spacetime opens and it's up to whatever is left of NASA to explore and offer up hope for mankind.

Mainly based on the scientific theories and script treatment of renowned theoretical physicist, Kip Thorne. Interstellar is set to be released in late 2014.

Interstellar Movie - A Film by Christopher Nolan
While I’m personally not specifically fond of science fiction set in various forms of dystopian futures, I guess it can serve as a point of departure for various discussions about roughly how bad it would very rapidly get if society ever were to break down…

Last edited:
Not a recommendation, but guessing this could be popular around here...

Particle Fever

[A] documentary about the Large Hadron Collider and the search for the Higgs boson.

Particle Fever (2013) - IMDb

- - - Updated - - -

Coolest book I've read in a while... The Curiosity by Stephen P. Kiernan. 20th Century Fox has bought the movie rights.
…/ Dr. Kate Philo and her scientific exploration team make a breathtaking discovery in the Arctic: the body of a man buried deep in the ice. Remarkably, the frozen man is brought back to the lab and successfully reanimated. As the man begins to regain his memories, the team learns that he was—is—a judge, Jeremiah Rice, and the last thing he remembers is falling overboard into the Arctic Ocean in 1906.

Thrown together by circumstances beyond their control, Kate and Jeremiah grow closer. But the clock is ticking and Jeremiah’s new life is slipping away...and all too soon, Kate must decide how far she is willing to go to protect the man she has come to love.

The Curiosity: A Novel: Stephen P. Kiernan: 9780062221063: Amazon.com: Books

Personally I can’t see myself suspending my disbelief. It’s unfortunately not possible to reanimate someone that has been frozen to death and "buried deep in ice"…

Last edited by a moderator: