TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Movies on 17" Display: Success

Discussion in 'Model S' started by musicious, Apr 22, 2016.

1. musicious

musicious Member

2. Evee

Evee Member

Awesssssome.

3. SPXMike

SPXMike Member

@musicious Thanks! I've added Electrek to my Favorites bar

4. Jim R

Jim R Member

So are the movies able to play while the car is in motion? I see a problem with this.

5. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

I wouldn't get too excited or worry about this too much. This is pretty advanced stuff, requiring you to remove the instrument panel screen to even be able to gain physical access to the root. So, it's unlikely many people will want to try to do this, even if clear instructions are ever posted. Even if you do.. all the work you put in is just one update away from being blocked/disabled by the next update (which they would be smart to do).

Additionally, the ability of it to "play" a movie while driving doesn't change the law in most US states that makes it illegal to be able to view video from the driver's seat. And right now you could set a phone or small tablet up on the dash and watch illegally. You don't need high-tech to be dangerous. But, this would still be far less dangerous than the many people with their faces in their phones barreling down the highway at 70 mph.

• Like x 1
  6. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Watching a movie while the car says "Charging Complete" is misuse, IMO.

7. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Wonder if the hack will survive the next software update.

8. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

It is possible to have root exploits survive firmware updates. Wk has been doing it for several months now. Not sure how he's able to achieve that though.