Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving 2021 X from USA to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, considering shipping a new 2021 model X to Europe. Aside tax and registration, main questions i have is:

- is the limitation on data connetivity still there is at was in the 2019 models when relocating a US tesla to europe?
- does autosteer still work?
- will autopilot/FSD work same as USA?
- do you get software updates “normally”?

thanks!!

The community recommendation for pre 2021 cars always ends up being “sell your car and buy another in the EU”.

It will be interesting to see if that changes. I believe the considerations will be…
  1. Can you AC charge it? What physical adapter would you use? Might be three phase power issues.
  2. Can you supercharge it? What physical adapter would you use? Are there other software issues?
  3. Assuming you have the adapter, can you third party CCS2 charge it? Are there the same or other software issues like supercharging?
  4. Will the radio work?
  5. Will the maps load?
  6. Will the car get internet data? Or will you have to drive w a hotspot.
  7. Will it get firmware updates?
  8. Can you get it serviced?
  9. (Personally I am curious as to whether the new third party video streaming implementations work over hotspot. They might be region specific. I don’t know if even the older audio only ones were geofenced.)
I know you asked a somewhat different set of questions but it would be a shame for you to only be able to test autosteer until the battery died.

My guess is the data connectivity problem will remain because you won’t automatically get an eSIM that works in the EU and you won’t have Tesla service support to software change it. I bet autosteer would work, but without maps, no autopilot and certainly no FSD. I also bet no software updates.

I’m waiting for the experts to weigh in…

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If I were doing the move I would consider buying in the EU because of the US's antiquated safety laws. They prevent things like segmented LED headlights that dim only the part of a headlight that blind oncoming traffic and true sequential turn signals (I don't think Tesla has this anyway).

Upvote 0
Hi, considering shipping a new 2021 model X to Europe...

The community recommendation for pre 2021 cars always ends up being “sell your car and buy another in the EU”...

...curious as to what adapter they use to get CCS2 into the US car side port.

First, I am not an expert--just been picking up hearsay and references. For you (but also for others in the same situation but with different model-years), here are a few sources of information to get you going:
Taking a Tesla from North America (with its TPC standard) to Europe (with the Type 2/CCS2 standards) is probably similar to importing a Tesla into New Zealand/Australia (also Type 2/CCS2) from North America, South Korea, or Japan (also TPC). So look to general information from the two largest Oceania countries, also. If people are doing something there, their counterparts may be doing something equivalent in Europe, and vice-versa. So, for example, see threads like this:
  • What Plug is This?
  • Check out threads and posts from TMC forums for Oceania and Asia, and maybe post inquiries there?
The list by Krash is good. Borrowing from it, I would divide your primary issues into:
  1. Transportation. (The not inconsiderable costs and logistics of transporting a car into Europe from the USA.) -- no comment
  2. Regulatory. (Securing the proper licenses, safety authorizations, and approvals from the destination country.) -- no comment
  3. Charging. - see below
    1. home (220v AC)
    2. in the wild
      1. Type 2 (AC)
      2. CCS2 (DC)
      3. ChadeMO (DC)
  4. Navigation (using the Tesla software maps and GPS locator) -- no comment
  5. Service (by Tesla or third-party businesses) -- no comment
  6. Perhaps a reverse of the same costs and efforts if you decide to return to the US within a few years. -- If this is true, I'd strongly consider leaving the Model X behind.
While there appear to be (newer) answers and methods to deal with some of these issues (e.g., installation of CCS2 charging hardware in New Zealand by third-party businesses), honestly, the easiest and cheapest overall answer may still be to leave your beloved behind (perhaps safely stored or in the care of a trusted person, or sold), move on, and/or find a new new/used car to love at your destination. Not what many people want to consider, I guess.

I won't attempt to tackle most of these (daunting) issues, but some points about charging:
  • You have a Tesla Proprietary Connector (TPC) car, with the beautiful/useful plug and port we in the US/Canada all know and love. In Europe they use a Type 2 port (in Models S and X) and CCS2 port (in Models 3 and Y). (Annoying, even for Europeans I imagine.)
  • As a result, depending on the model-year native European Tesla cars actually face their own charging hurdles (in some cases requiring adapters and retrofits). (See Tesla Charge Ports/Plugs of the World for more about this.)
  • Having a 2021 (USA) Model X is good, in that it should be CCS-ready. However, AFAIK (others please weigh in) there is no over-the-counter CCS2-to-TPC adapter right now. (Perhaps one could be made custom? Cost? Reliability?) So V3 Supercharging and use of third-party CCS2 stations may be impossible. (Read the 2020 article mentioned above by the family that moved to Europe.)
    • There are Tesla CCS2-to-Type 2 adapters sold (Tesla CCS2-to-Type 2 adapter/upgrade; used by native Type 2 Port European Models S and X; probably not for you).
    • And there are at least two third-party Type-2-to-TPC adapters (Type 2-to-TPC Adapter #1, Type 2-to-TPC Adapter #2, ) I've seen. (I cannot speak to the reliability of these, or whether they work for both AC and DC charging. Check with Tesla or the manufacturers.)
    • Whether you could, or would want to, use two adapters together at the same time to charge at DC stations, I do not know. Sounds expensive and potentially dodgy/risky. To err on the side of caution, let's assume that using two charging adapters simultaneously is generally a bad idea. (If others know differently, please let us know.)
  • What about a tesla CHAdeMO adapter?
    • On paper it may be possible.
    • The fly in the ointment is, can you get the TPC-plug CHAdeMO you would need? CHAdeMO adapters with TPC plugs are very hard to find in North America and other countries right now. (Maybe South Korea? They are still on the Tesla website there.) If you have one already, GREAT!
    • Do not buy a European CHAdeMO, since they come with a Type 2 plug, despite what may be pictured on the Tesla European websites. (Unless you can also simultaneously use a Type 2-to TPC adapter, which we are assuming is a bad idea.)
  • So you might be stuck using only at-home (Type 2 AC) charging (with a Type 2-to-TPC adapter), and maybe Type 2 AC charging (w/adapter) on the road. If some Superchargers still have Type 2 cable-plugs, you might be able to use those for DC charging if you have a Type 2-to-TPC adapter that will make that work.
Take all of this with a grain of salt; listen to the advice of Tesla and more learned experts on TMC. Hopefully you have left yourself time to weigh all the pros and cons. If you are going for a 'long' time (several years) or permanently, it probably makes sense to leave your Model X behind. But if it is only for a couple of years, I'd be prone to arrange safe storage/care in the US and car rental in Europe, just to avoid all the many hurdles.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtK
Upvote 0
...there is no over-the-counter CCS2-to-TPC adapter...

Correction: Apparently this seller may offer CCS2-to-TPC adapters that can work with either Superchargers (w/CCS2 cable-plugs) and/or third-party CCS2 DC charging stations in Europe.

However, caution is perhaps still warranted. There appear to be two different CCS2 versions offered. Why? And note the statement: "CCS2 (Gen4) NOT working on V3 Supercharger." And there are other hardware and software requirements and restrictions, depending on the model-year. It is concerning that with certain hardware changes, there may be possible interference with subsequent CHAdeMO adapter usage. And the warranty is only one year for a relatively small $525 item. So be sure to check carefully with the seller before purchase to ensure that an adapter from this source will work with your model-year and what modifications may be necessary.

Reactions: ArtK
Upvote 0
Followup: I had intended to add some photos to Post #10. Here they are (and for people new to TMC Forum, you can click on the photos to make them larger):

• The Tesla Proprietary Connection (TPC) port, which you have. North American TPC Port.jpg

• The elegant TPC cable-plug (top and end views). North America TPC Plug.jpg North American TPC Plug End - 2.jpg

• The (bulkier) CCS Combo 2 plug (left) and Type 2 (right) plugs used in Europe, Oceania, and elsewhere. CCS Combo 2 & Type 2 Plugs.jpg

• Front/back views of one example of a third-party Type 2-to-TPC adapter. Type 2-to-TPC Adapter.jpg

• Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with Type 2 plug (used for cars originating in Europe, Oceania, and other areas). Type 2 CHAdeMO .jpg

• Tesla CHAdeMO adapter with TPC plug (used with cars like yours from North America, South Korea, and Japan). CHAdeMO Adapter.jpg

• Third-party CCS2-to-TPC adapter (See Post #11) (CCS2 port end). CCS2-to-TPC ASdapter - 2.jpeg

• Third-party CCS2-to-TPC adapter (TPC plug end). CCS2-to-TPC ASdapter - 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: posity and ArtK
Upvote 0
Correction: Apparently this seller may offer CCS2-to-TPC adapters that can work with either Superchargers (w/CCS2 cable-plugs) and/or third-party CCS2 DC charging stations in Europe.

However, caution is perhaps still warranted. There appear to be two different CCS2 versions offered. Why? And note the statement: "CCS2 (Gen4) NOT working on V3 Supercharger." And there are other hardware and software requirements and restrictions, depending on the model-year. It is concerning that with certain hardware changes, there may be possible interference with subsequent CHAdeMO adapter usage. And the warranty is only one year for a relatively small $525 item. So be sure to check carefully with the seller before purchase to ensure that an adapter from this source will work with your model-year and what modifications may be necessary.
Superbly researched and written. Bravo 🙌

Upvote 0
Excellent write up. We are planning to move to EU this summer and intend to take the cars with us, against most of the people recommendation, and have researched the hurdles. Why? Simply because they are paid off, AND have free SC, which in the current context we think is pretty important.

Could anyone please comment on what company they used to ship it from US? A bit concerned with charging until they get there.

Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0
Excellent write up. We are planning to move to EU this summer and intend to take the cars with us, against most of the people recommendation, and have researched the hurdles. Why? Simply because they are paid off, AND have free SC, which in the current context we think is pretty important.

Could anyone please comment on what company they used to ship it from US? A bit concerned with charging until they get there.

Thank you in advance!

Free Supercharging is a real plus, that's for sure. However, are you sure that Tesla will honor that arrangement in an entirely different region (Europe as opposed to North America)? Have you confirmed that with Tesla itself? If so, great!

I have no info on shipping to Europe. (Coincidentally, my car was shipped from Fremont, California, to Hawaii, and then back again. But that was all handled by Tesla.) Search on TMC and on Google (or Duck Duck...) to see what others are saying.

For example:

Upvote 0
Followup: I am starting to see (USA) Tesla CHAdeMO adapters (with TPC [proprietary-type] plug end) for sale for more reasonable prices on Craig's List (e.g., in San Francisco Bay area). Assuming that it would work mechanically and financially at CHAdeMO charging stations there, taking one of those should help with charging once in Europe.

Upvote 0

Thank you in advance!
Unless you have it on good authority, verified and guaranteed otherwise, I doubt Supercharging will work at all in Europe. Let alone Nav and autopilot.

Upvote 0
Free SC does work in EU, with the right adapters.

1. I am on your side. I want you to be able to use your great car in Europe. Free Supercharging would be a real benefit. But...

2. Please read through this Thread. (People importing from Japan to New Zealand/Australia have similar issues.)

3. Of course you already know but for the sake of other readers, the Superchargers in Europe have either CCS Combo 2 plugs (used for Models 3/Y) or Type 2 plugs (for Models S/X). Neither plug fits an North American car. (Of course, I do not know what model-years you own.)

4. The issue is that afaik there are no Tesla-made CCS2-to-TPC or Type 2-to-TPC adapters that fit the proprietary Tesla (North American, Japan, South Korea) TPC charge port. Instead you have to use one of a limited number of third-party aftermarket products, which (a) are expensive, (b) may be difficult to order (e.g., some are from Ukraine!), and/or (c) are arguably prone to safety issues. (See the post reference to "suicide adapters.") If you will be taking Models S/X, check with EVSE Adapters. Not cheap but may be the best, and located in USA.
The issues, references, and adapter sources are laid out there (and in other threads on TMC). Do you already have access to a North American Tesla CHAdeMO adapter (with TPC plug). That could definitely be handy and relatively trouble-free in Europe (if you get the payment aspect pre-approved). (There is/was a CHAdeMO adapter for sale for $350 on Craig's List for San Francisco.)

Best of luck. You will have a great time. (But until I read the details in your eventual report on TMC about the trip, I will remain unsure/wary in my mind of Supercharging a NA car there.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0