Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving a Powerwall to a new home

kindofblue

Mar 14, 2021
Pismo Beach CA
In the process of moving to a new home I asked Tesla about the cost of moving our Powerwall. Their initial quote was $8200! I pushed back on this and they came back with a $2800 bid (I suspect a transposed number in the original quote) and also said they would honor the warranty if another company moved it and were an accredited Powerwall installer. A.M. Solar is and will be installing our new 5Kw system. They moved it last week for $1800.

Caveat emptor. It pays to shop around.

Redhill_qik

Aug 16, 2020
South SF Bay, California
Hmm, the Powerwall should be considered an attached item and part of the house sale. I guess you could have explicitly excluded this from the house sale contract, but if not I would expect that you will have a really pissed off buyer and maybe a lawsuit.

Reactions: CSFTN

kindofblue

Mar 14, 2021
Pismo Beach CA
Hmm, the Powerwall should be considered an attached item and part of the house sale. I guess you could have explicitly excluded this from the house sale contract, but if not I would expect that you will have a really pissed off buyer and maybe a lawsuit.
That's exactly what we did.It was specifically excluded from every listing detail where appropriate.

Reactions: CSFTN and X-pilot

navydoc001

Jul 8, 2021
Loganville, PA
I've read a few of these ... "moving my Powerwalls" posts. For kindofblue, and you don't need to answer, but why did you take them with you?

Is it due to scarcity or cost recovery or something else?

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Even if you don't list it, it would be considered like a built in appliance so you'd definitely need to have it explicitly excluded in the contract.

kairojya

Jun 30, 2021
Tampa, FL
Thanks for sharing. I’ve been curious about this. Did you have solar at the old home? In my case I’d be curious to see if it was feasible to take just my Powerwalls (Powerwall+ and Powerwall 2) with me if I were to move in the short term. I’d leave the solar panels but I would need a new inverter installed so I’m not sure what all that would entail. I also don’t know what would happen with my gateway (Backup Gateway 2). It seems to me for the $1800 you paid, maybe you just had a Powerwall(s) and a gateway and you took all the equipment.

What happens with your interconnect agreement (ESS) with your utility company at the old home? I signed 2 separate interconnect agreements for my install. One was for the PV system and the other for the ESS.

Note: I don’t think my PV and ESS increase the value of my home all that much or make it more desirable, as these systems would do for higher cost homes. I have no clue, but I feel this is the case because I live in a relatively cheap home in a low cost of living area.

kindofblue

Mar 14, 2021
Pismo Beach CA
Hi all, Sorry I've been working and off this site for a while. The cost of a new Powerwall is substantially more than what we paid initially and the wait is 12-18+ months so for those reasons we moved it. Of course we explicitly stated in the listing and everywhere else that the powerwall was excluded. Solar panels are a desirable feature out here in CA as was the 2 240v chargers outlets (and 1 30A Semens charger) for EVs. I'll be using the Tesla OEM 30A charger at the new home and Shannon will be using her Volt OEM 24v charger (with its adapter).

Yes, we had 2 separate agreements for the solar panels and the Powerwall with PG&E.

I would agree though that moving solar panels is not worth it. We're having a new 5.4 Kw system put on in our new home (US panels BTW) and the Tesla Gateway will hook directly into them and the grid.

Reactions: kairojya

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC