Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving a Powerwall to a new home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it had a golden toilet, you'd have to compete with the millions who wanted that option. I mean who can say no to a Golden Throne?

Golden Bidet would make the home sell 150% over listing...

Reactions: sunwarriors
If any comp/sale is pre-April I suspect it is not representative. Prices are dropping pretty fast, and it is switching to a buyers' market.

And I do agree that most buyers look at solar with powerwalls and see it is just like the solar without batteries in the other homes they looked at.

I think solar-only also fails to command a pricing premium. As others noted, prospective homeowners can't even search for Solar on the popular listing sites. My realtor in 2019 said he's never seen solar help a home sale price in East Bay ... solar only hurts if there's a PPA or other tie-up with financing. My cousin just bought a house with solar and he never baked in the solar into the comp at all... they just looked at historical home sale prices (which you couldn't tell if those had solar or not anyway).

When I appraised my home for a re-fi in 2021, he said the underwriters don't give a damn if there's solar or batteries on the house; they are excluded from the value appraisal (with respect to a loan). Edit: In Contra Costa, homeowners still have to file paperwork so the solar and ESS is excluded from the home value estimate for property tax purposes.

Your solar roof is an anomaly... it definitely gets the cool-factor priced in (along with the benefit that your roof won't need replacing for a few decades).

I think solar-only also fails to command a pricing premium. As others noted, prospective homeowners can't even search for Solar on the popular listing sites. My realtor in 2019 said he's never seen solar help a home sale price in East Bay ... solar only hurts if there's a PPA or other tie-up with financing. My cousin just bought a house with solar and he never baked in the solar into the comp at all... they just looked at historical home sale prices (which you couldn't tell if those had solar or not anyway).

When I appraised my home for a re-fi in 2021, he said the underwriters don't give a damn if there's solar or batteries on the house; they are excluded from the value appraisal (with respect to a loan). Edit: In Contra Costa, homeowners still have to file paperwork so the solar and ESS is excluded from the home value estimate for property tax purposes.

Your solar roof is an anomaly... it definitely gets the cool-factor priced in (along with the benefit that your roof won't need replacing for a few decades).
Another issue I see is solar is becoming just a normal feature. As in, of course the house has solar, just like a washer and dryer hookup. Duh...

Also, I don't think the solarroof impacts the price any more than any other tile roof. Pretty much no one by me know what they are since there are so few.

I am moving houses in Southern California and I currently have two Tesla Powerwall's. I have already told the listing agent to exclude them from the listing contract and we would be moving them to the new house. A couple of Solar Installers were not willing to move the Powerwall's. I just got a quote back from one Installer that was willing to move them (Tesla certified installer) and they want $10k to move them which seems like a lot. Of course local Tesla Solar Installers in Southern California want about $30k to install 2 new Powerwall's as part of a Solar Install at a residence. However it looks like if you go direct with Tesla, they charge about $19k to install 2 New Powerwall's as part of a solar install going direct through Tesla. However I have my misgivings dealing directly with Tesla because of their customer service. Just kind of feel like I am getting really up-charged because of the current demand for solar.

I am moving houses in Southern California and I currently have two Tesla Powerwall's. I have already told the listing agent to exclude them from the listing contract and we would be moving them to the new house. A couple of Solar Installers were not willing to move the Powerwall's. I just got a quote back from one Installer that was willing to move them (Tesla certified installer) and they want $10k to move them which seems like a lot. Of course local Tesla Solar Installers in Southern California want about $30k to install 2 new Powerwall's as part of a Solar Install at a residence. However it looks like if you go direct with Tesla, they charge about $19k to install 2 New Powerwall's as part of a solar install going direct through Tesla. However I have my misgivings dealing directly with Tesla because of their customer service. Just kind of feel like I am getting really up-charged because of the current demand for solar.

"move" = "uninstall, and Re install". I have no idea "whats fair" but "moving" them is both uninstalling them (and re connecting everything at the location they are removed from so that the home is still powered), and also "installing them new" at the new location.

Companies price things accordingly when they dont want to do the work, and that is likely what you are seeing. You will likely need to keep looking around for a company that is interested in the work.

If you are buying solar at the new residence, that would be whom I would be looking at, but of course you will be paying a premium for this (ignore any comparison to prices from tesla, and instead compare other third parties to each other).

if the only consideration is price, you would be better off selling the powerwalls to someone and buying new from tesla with solar and powerwalls (again, if the only consideration is price). You already stated you have a customer service concern, so it doesnt sound like price is the only consideration.

You likely will still find it easier to "buy new" (powerwalls) than get someone who is comfortable doing double the work (remove, and re install), but perhaps whomever you choose for solar will cut you a break on it.

Reactions: Brovane