Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving and Registering the Car - The WORST customer service ever

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced this? I would love to hear how you resolved it! I moved to a different state and got my license and contacted Tesla to get the title on my lease transferred to the new state. The registration was up in May, and I got my license in February. There is no one to answer calls for Tesla Finance, so you have to leave a voicemail that never gets responded to and tells you to send an email. You send an email and they mostly ignore that too, every so often sending you a note that says that they are working on it and it is not their fault. Eventually they ghost you. The only way to get someone on the phone is to choose "Sales" and then wait 30-60 minutes and hope that the sales person you get is nice enough to poke the people in the Tesla Finance team to start it all up again.

Fast forward to June, my registration is up so I cannot drive the car anymore but they are still charging for the lease. I love my Tesla, and was planning to buy at the end of my lease in November and was planning to get a Tesla roof . . . but am seriously rethinking those two decisions now.

Has anyone managed to register their car in another state?

Thanks so much for your reply! Unfortunately all of those lines go to voicemail ls that Tesla never responds to.

Curious who you would recommend from the corporate route, as I think bringing in my attorney is the next step. Ugh.

Not sure it will work, send a Fedex letter (required signature) to corporate, address to Elon Musk ask nicely for help but caution the next legal step. Hopefully the office will wake up the finance team to address it. Years ago I have to deal with an alarm company the same way, got almost immediate response once the letter arrived.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATPMSD
Thanks so much for the replies! I finally received my title yesterday. I did two things: (1) I suggested that they either give me a loaner, stop charging me on my lease, or give me the car I have purchased for lease end now OR I will have my attorney brought in (he was ready to contact them). (2) My friend who used to work for Tesla escalated my issue through her friends in corporate. Both happened on the same day and the next day my missing title miraculously showed up. I am not sure which one worked (I am guessing #2) but thank goodness I can now register with the DMV.

Reactions: cbdream99
Oh boy! Now another snag when I got to the DMV! I received all of my paperwork only to find when I went to the DMV that the Application for Certificate of Ownership has the incorrect address and corporate codes under the "Owner" and "Lienholder" fields. Does anyone know what these might be? (Tesla does not seem to and I have been getting the runaround for months!) Would you mind sharing them with me from your paperwork? I would REALLY appreciate it!!