Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from 18” to 19” wheels/tire combination for M3 LR 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Are the 19" really that bad? I am from NJ too and placed an order on 4/7 M3LR/white/black/19" If I ordered with the 18" tires it pushed my order window from June/July to August/October. I don't want to change my order, but I'm hoping I don't regret it.

"That" bad, no. But after clipping a couple potholes, and repairs, my set are definitely not right. If I'm going to replace them wholesale anyway, it'll be back to 18s. No reason not to. The T-Sportlines give me the same look as the 19s, but on the 18" size.

no they are not...just to tree huggers and people with no butt that feel everything...my 19's are smooth and beautiful...I lived in Edison NJ where the roads were Garbage and also in Bayonne and Newark...you'll be fine with the stock 19's...

Oh trust me, plenty of padding here, but my 19s are definitely not straight.... nowhere near silky smooth as they once were. Repair is fine but not perfect. And if you saw my electric bills (even excluding both EVs) -- definitely not a tree hugger ... drive the cars fast and hard.

It's not that I don't recommend the 19s -- love the look and the initial ride -- but definitely more vulnerable to bending than the 18s. Really no question there.

Hi, Are the 19" really that bad? I am from NJ too and placed an order on 4/7 M3LR/white/black/19" If I ordered with the 18" tires it pushed my order window from June/July to August/October. I don't want to change my order, but I'm hoping I don't regret it.
I think 19s should be fine. I went all the way down to 18s on my M3P because cheaper and even smoother, but I suspect I would've been fine with 19s too. It's the super skinny sidewalls needed with 20s where you're really risking it on bad roads, especially with Tesla's seemingly mediocre strength cast wheels.

TM3 on 19x8.5" should use 235/40R19 (stock/OE) or 245/40R19 (better IMO) tire size.' Ive used 245/40 on another car (on 18s) that came with Enkei cast wheels, and it was totally fine. Never had any wheel or tire issues driving on these same bad roads. That car was lighter than a Model 3, and I think Enkei wheels are probably better than Tesla OE wheels, but still I suspect you'll be fine on the Tesla 19s.

Anything can break with a hard enough hit, but it's the 235/35R20 sizing that's the subject of most of the Model 3 cracked or bent wheel stories I've read. Same on Model S with the 245/35R21 OE size, which is what cracked a spoke on my Model S. So 235/35 or 245/35 is clearly too little sidewall to me, but 235/40 or taller is probably fine. (I always prefer 245mm tires on 8.5" wide wheels.)

Reactions: JustJenn
It's not that I don't recommend the 19s -- love the look and the initial ride -- but definitely more vulnerable to bending than the 18s. Really no question there.
This is certainly true. 18s will give you more protection, cheaper wheels, cheaper tires, smoother ride with no performance downside at all assuming you use good performance tires either way.

I'm a little surprised to hear about the 19s getting bent so easily though. Makes me really question the quality and strength of Tesla's OE wheels.

I don't know...I think that's a driver issue not paying attention....because I had a wide body Z that I drove for years in NYC and QUEENS!!!!....and never cracked a rim... I was running 315/35/19...you just have to be careful...most of the time is carelessness and sometimes it's just luck of the draw....but I think there is enough meat on there to get through most situations... but I do agree with some of what they said....I honestly don't think you will regret it...where in Jersey are you?.....I know jersey like the back of my hand...

oh and those were jokes...thanks for taking them and not coming down hard on me...some people are sensitive...lol....all in good fun

Reactions: dmurphy
I don't know...I think that's a driver issue not paying attention....because I had a wide body Z that I drove for years in NYC and QUEENS!!!!....and never cracked a rim... I was running 315/35/19...you just have to be careful...most of the time is carelessness and sometimes it's just luck of the draw....but I think there is enough meat on there to get through most situations... but I do agree with some of what they said....I honestly don't think you will regret it...where in Jersey are you?.....I know jersey like the back of my hand...

oh and those were jokes...thanks for taking them and not coming down hard on me...some people are sensitive...lol....all in good fun

Sometimes you just have no choice - I hit a chunk of route 17 this winter that toasted a wheel. Last winter it was 287 that got me - doing 75+ and hitting a concrete pothole you can't see around the truck in front of you doesn't help. Like you said, luck of the draw. And, well, Jersey.

Me, I'm out west in Parsippany. 287/80/46/10/24 all pass right by here. Lots o' crappy highways... LOL.

(and hey - jokes are fine. If there's one thing you develop growing up in NJ, it's a thick skin. And a rash. But mostly the thick skin.)

All else being equal there is a *little* performance downside to 18s vs 19s and so on. Like if you used the exact model and width of tire and did some qualifying laps of your local track the 19s would tend to end up a bit quicker for complicated tire reasons. But it isn't a big deal.

For rim issues, a lot depends too on how much the tire sticks out to protect the rim a bit more. On stock Tesla fitments, there is basically no tire bulge to protect the rim much.

I'd rather have a bit more cushion rather than relying on luck all the time. I drove to DC a few years ago on another car and took out 3 tires and damaged 2 rims in a week. Fortunately the road hazard warranty took car of the tires but the rims were on my dime.

I am now more about function than absolute looks.

I upgraded my OEM 18" with Michelin PS4 with the Tesla's OEM 19" sports wheel that I got 2nd hand and put Hankook 235/40/R19 96W K127 Ventus S1 EVO3 (TO)Silent. They are the tyres that Tesla use here for Australian cars.

I'm super happy with those. The tyres are quieter than the PS4 and I've noticed no difference power usage wise. Actually quite the opposite.
There's a 300km drive I do every 2nd week-end. With the Aero 18 I averaged 155Wh/km , with the 19 I'm doing 146Wh/km.

Don't noticed much different comfort wide, except when you hit a pothole. I thought I broke my left wheels it was that rough.

All else being equal there is a *little* performance downside to 18s vs 19s and so on. Like if you used the exact model and width of tire and did some qualifying laps of your local track the 19s would tend to end up a bit quicker for complicated tire reasons. But it isn't a big deal.
not that complicated...less sidewall....less tire slip, less tire roll, less tire fold