Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from 18” to 19” wheels/tire combination for M3 LR 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going to be putting in an order for the Michelin PSAS4 from blackcircle sale to take advantage prior to price hike.

Going to up my rim from OEM 18” to 19” - and going with these tire specs - 265/35 R19 Y (98). Getting new rims from Aodhan for a nice flush fitment 19x9.5 | +35 | 5x114.3.

I understand there will be range loss, which is fine - but any substantial hit to the road noise? I assume from a fit perspective the tires should complement the wheel specs?

Apologies if the q’s are silly - a relative novice in this stuff :)

Are you wanting to go up in size for appearance?

You will probably take a huge hit on range. Tire noise will be dependent on what tires you go with. I would search on the particular tire you are planning on using and see if anyone has had noise issues with them.

Keep in mind the larger wheels/tires might actually slow your acceleration if they are heavier than stock.

Reactions: DasTasla
Interesting that you mentioned going back to 18's. I had thought about using the 19" Martians from my Y on my 3. After driving around on the 18's for a while, I decided to just stay with 18's and sell the 19" Martians.

I realize all ride quality isn't totally attributable to the tires, but it does have a significant impact. I really didn't want to take a range hit either on the car we drive the most. Not to mention we drive on crappy streets that I could really notice the tire compliance on the 19's vs 18's. I'll just go with a different wheel.

Enjoy the 19’s!

I just purchased a set of 20” Perf rims (just before Uber’s came out) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s used about 3000 miles.

235/35/20 ZR20’s. I’ll be running 20mm spacer rear and 15 up front for full flush. I love this sport design and the pewter/carbon finish will be on my black car :) when these wear, I’ll consider a 255/30/20.

Going up from my 18” winter tire set.

I suspect I’ll have to keep psi at 37/38 to help with some stiffness lol.
6F2414F6-C716-4C0D-A502-D904B546B875.jpeg

Last edited:
Doesn’t agree with you…? I am curious :)

It’s a slightly noisier and less comfortable ride, but that’s not really it. I’ve bent 3 of them so far on potholes and that’s clearly not going to get any better. Our roads are trash.

I’d rather go back to the taller sidewall, with a smoother ride, more range, and less likely to splatter itself in a pothole.

It’s a slightly noisier and less comfortable ride, but that’s not really it. I’ve bent 3 of them so far on potholes and that’s clearly not going to get any better. Our roads are trash.

I’d rather go back to the taller sidewall, with a smoother ride, more range, and less likely to splatter itself in a pothole.
I feel you on that one...fortunately...here in NC, my roads are new and smooth as glass...and no harsh driveways for me either so I dropped the M3, and need some wheels with Lip in my life...lol....after owning a wide body 350Z....I can't have wheels without a lip...

Going to be putting in an order for the Michelin PSAS4 from blackcircle sale to take advantage prior to price hike.

Going to up my rim from OEM 18” to 19” - and going with these tire specs - 265/35 R19 Y (98). Getting new rims from Aodhan for a nice flush fitment 19x9.5 | +35 | 5x114.3.

I understand there will be range loss, which is fine - but any substantial hit to the road noise? I assume from a fit perspective the tires should complement the wheel specs?

Apologies if the q’s are silly - a relative novice in this stuff :)
I went from 18” Aero with covers to 19” OEM and I ran Pirelli P7+ tires and almost no hit on range. And 4 mud flaps to boot. Awesome tires. This was on AWD. Car looked so much nicer. Now I have an S with Tempest. Ugh. Michelin and Continental are always my last choice now, Pirelli is my first.

hmmmm...lots of people seem to be quite scared to get a proper offset so they buy wheels that sink into the wheel well and then add spacers...So I'm trying to see what the perfect offset is for a 19x9.5 wheel is WHEN THE CAR IS LOWERED... so I'm taking a chance with a +_22 offset as I do NOT want to run spacers.

hmmmm...lots of people seem to be quite scared to get a proper offset so they buy wheels that sink into the wheel well and then add spacers...So I'm trying to see what the perfect offset is for a 19x9.5 wheel is WHEN THE CAR IS LOWERED... so I'm taking a chance with a +_22 offset as I do NOT want to run spacers.
It is probably more that +35 and +38 are easily at the top of a tall bell curve when it comes to offset selection in non-custom wheels. It is really easy to get exactly the wheel you want in those offsets and space them out as required. I would venture there are barely a tenth as many off-the-shelf options available with less than +30 offset.

Reactions: E.Potter
It is probably more that +35 and +38 are easily at the top of a tall bell curve when it comes to offset selection in non-custom wheels. It is really easy to get exactly the wheel you want in those offsets and space them out as required. I would venture there are barely a tenth as many off-the-shelf options available with less than +30 offset.
I can see that...but that's quickly changing as well

Are you wanting to go up in size for appearance?

You will probably take a huge hit on range. Tire noise will be dependent on what tires you go with. I would search on the particular tire you are planning on using and see if anyone has had noise issues with them.

Keep in mind the larger wheels/tires might actually slow your acceleration if they are heavier than stock.
Changing the diameter of the wheel does not cause a huge hit in range, it is the tires that cause the huge hit in range. If you can find a low rolling resistance tire in 19" size, you can keep more or less the same range, and the Michelin MXM4 comes in the right size for 19s I think.

Reactions: mswlogo

Hi, Are the 19" really that bad? I am from NJ too and placed an order on 4/7 M3LR/white/black/19" If I ordered with the 18" tires it pushed my order window from June/July to August/October. I don't want to change my order, but I'm hoping I don't regret it.

Reactions: dmurphy
Hi, Are the 19" really that bad? I am from NJ too and placed an order on 4/7 M3LR/white/black/19" If I ordered with the 18" tires it pushed my order window from June/July to August/October. I don't want to change my order, but I'm hoping I don't regret it.
no they are not...just to tree huggers and people with no butt that feel everything...my 19's are smooth and beautiful...I lived in Edison NJ where the roads were Garbage and also in Bayonne and Newark...you'll be fine with the stock 19's...

Reactions: dmurphy