Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moving from 2016 Model S P90D to 2021 Model X - considerations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a current owner of a 2016 Model S P90D (just Insane NOT Ludicrous) and AP1 and original nose cone that I ordered in Feb 2016 for $137K including taxes.

Unfortunately I did the calculation that if I didn't buy the Model S and bought Tesla stock then and held it - it would be worth $2 Million today - but I digress...

Would love to get thoughts from the group on the following:

1. For those who moved from a Model S to a Model X -- who didn't have an absolute need for more space - did you regret it? It's just me, my wife and soon to be 9 year old daughter so the S probably is enough room and my wife drives an SUV (2021 BMW X5 45e should arrive next month). Mostly considering a switch to the X since I have been driving the S for almost 5 years so wanting something new... I think the FWD are cool but also wonder if they will be a pain to live with -- how far do they open when I'm parked in my garage or underground garage - window seals deteriorating... etc. Also do you miss the driving dynamics of a Model S vs Model X?
  2. If I went from a Performance S to a Long Range X - would I regret it? Did any of you do this and regret it? Though the difference may not be as great given the Insane that I have... I'm kinda on the fence. Though the reality is the Long Range is probably plenty of power
  3. If I got the X - I'd lean towards getting the 20 inch wheels - but don't like the look -- so would probably swap them out for aftermarket 20 inch wheels - but has anyone split the difference and done 21 inch wheels on a X -- curious what your experiences might be...
  4. Those going from AP 1 to current version AP - are the capabilities dramatically upgraded from AP1? On the fence about FSD -- slight lean towards it -- but the reality is lately I don't even drive much given -- before it was because I was traveling quite a bit for work and now because of working from home -- only about 35K miles on my Model S -- but I like new tech.
  5. Given there is really nothing driving my timeline to get a new car now -- does anyone know if I can place an Order for an X and add FSD to lock in before the price increase and just delay delivery indefinitely and see if they refresh the X for next year or drop the price more?

My likely X build:

• White (I like white (currently color on my S - when it was an additional $1500 for the color) - and figured I could vinyl wrap it if I wanted to different color later)
  • Long Range (but still on the fence)
  • 20 inch wheels (but will swap them out) - like to look of the 22s - but range, cost, and tire replacement not worth it to me...
  • White interior
  • 6 seat
  • likely FSD

Apologies for the long winded questions/thoughts above -- would love any input from those who went from a S to X.

Thanks for reading.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
I went from a MS P90DL to MX100D, that sadly got totaled Sept 2019.

1) Love the X much more, the self presenting doors, and FWD.
2) No regrets going to D from performance S. For one, I stopped gunning it at every green light so I saved money on tires. Still plenty fast.
3) Mine came w/ the 22 in wheels which I sold for 20in wheels and powdercoated it black. It last longer, more range, more comportable, no worries about bending the rims in the pot hole freeways of southern ca.
4) AP2 is def better than AP1 now, it wasn't for a very long time.
5) I don't think it works that way, once you lock in the price, you get a delivery date. If you miss it by 3-5 days I think they cancel your order and keep the 100 dollars.

Ever since I got paid out, I've been on the sidelines waiting for the refresh. Doesn't make sense to take delivery on a car that looks exactly like the 2016 MX. I already waited over a year so I guess another year won't be painful lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Depends on your lifestyle. My family is an outdoor fam. We love biking and going out to trails/parks. Especially this year, since youngest can bike on his own. I had a 2017 Model S (orig owner). Put a hitch mount on it start of the year. That opened the door to some fam outdoor activities. We had 2 take the 2 kids bike in the trunk by dismantling front wheels. Upgraded to X in Sep. Wow this is the car for us. Benefits:
* Can take entire fam + 4 bikes + 1 dog to places and still have place for luggage.
* Super easy to secure seat belts (with child seats) for kids
* Can also take neighborhood kids with us (if needed) since we got 7 seater.
* Increased range vs S. 371 vs 250
* Also thinking about buying a camper/trailer since X has towing upto 5000lb.
* I can also tow my boat if needed. Currently housed in marina and restricted to 1 lake. Unlikely I will do this w/ X (CT will be better for this).

All in all love the decision of going w/ the X. Looks like it was the right car for my family.

Attachments

• PXL_20201023_154459884.jpg
    PXL_20201023_154459884.jpg
    612.6 KB · Views: 158
I'm a current owner of a 2016 Model S P90D (just Insane NOT Ludicrous) and AP1 and original nose cone that I ordered in Feb 2016 for $137K including taxes.

Unfortunately I did the calculation that if I didn't buy the Model S and bought Tesla stock then and held it - it would be worth $2 Million today - but I digress...

Would love to get thoughts from the group on the following:

1. For those who moved from a Model S to a Model X -- who didn't have an absolute need for more space - did you regret it? It's just me, my wife and soon to be 9 year old daughter so the S probably is enough room and my wife drives an SUV (2021 BMW X5 45e should arrive next month). Mostly considering a switch to the X since I have been driving the S for almost 5 years so wanting something new... I think the FWD are cool but also wonder if they will be a pain to live with -- how far do they open when I'm parked in my garage or underground garage - window seals deteriorating... etc. Also do you miss the driving dynamics of a Model S vs Model X?
  2. If I went from a Performance S to a Long Range X - would I regret it? Did any of you do this and regret it? Though the difference may not be as great given the Insane that I have... I'm kinda on the fence. Though the reality is the Long Range is probably plenty of power
  3. If I got the X - I'd lean towards getting the 20 inch wheels - but don't like the look -- so would probably swap them out for aftermarket 20 inch wheels - but has anyone split the difference and done 21 inch wheels on a X -- curious what your experiences might be...
  4. Those going from AP 1 to current version AP - are the capabilities dramatically upgraded from AP1? On the fence about FSD -- slight lean towards it -- but the reality is lately I don't even drive much given -- before it was because I was traveling quite a bit for work and now because of working from home -- only about 35K miles on my Model S -- but I like new tech.
  5. Given there is really nothing driving my timeline to get a new car now -- does anyone know if I can place an Order for an X and add FSD to lock in before the price increase and just delay delivery indefinitely and see if they refresh the X for next year or drop the price more?

My likely X build:

• White (I like white (currently color on my S - when it was an additional $1500 for the color) - and figured I could vinyl wrap it if I wanted to different color later)
  • Long Range (but still on the fence)
  • 20 inch wheels (but will swap them out) - like to look of the 22s - but range, cost, and tire replacement not worth it to me...
  • White interior
  • 6 seat
  • likely FSD

Apologies for the long winded questions/thoughts above -- would love any input from those who went from a S to X.

Thanks for reading.
Not exactly the response you were asking for, but wanted to add my 2 cents...I went from a Model 3 to an X this past May. Definitely didn’t need the extra space, since we’re now empty nesters but, oh man; the ingress and egress is SO much nicer in this car than the 3 (and the S loaners I’ve driven over the past 2 years). No issues with our FWDs, other than upgrading to the newer switch style (I’ve got a 2017). I also LOVE the white interior over the black I formerly had. I find it stays nicer looking for a longer period than the black did. Unless a firmware update to fix this comes before you buy your X, AP3 only lags behind AP1 in a couple of categories now - keeping a straight line when lanes diverge, and the ever-present panic stops.

In March I’ll go to an MX from ‘18 MS 75D w/21” arachnids. I will miss the handling of the S, but need the extra space and versatility for a growing family of five. I’m on the fence about whether to get performance version and 22” wheels or the “Dad” version (LR+, 20”). I like the idea of having a family hauler that also hauls....

Thanks for the replies. Still haven't pulled the trigger. Was going to last week and include FSD but now thinking I might opt for the subscription if/when it comes out next year. The other thing holding me back is my car only has 35K miles and I'm not even really driving it as I'm working from home for the foreseeable future. So maybe just hold on to it until the Model X refresh next year or in 2022?

Maybe just do the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade for now. I have AP1 so not sure I will get as much out of it so perhaps going just the daughterboard replacement route etc.

I'll throw a wrench into your thoughts - a Model Y. I'm looking at moving from my S to either an X or Y, so I took test drives in basically the entire lineup :)

Pros for Y: Smaller, but it's comparably sized to the S - about the same cargo space. Better back seat position than in the S (ie. more comfortable with more legroom). Cheaper and if you opt for the Performance, it's faster and more maneuverable, better braking. More versatile: you have the hitch but can also use a roof mount for extra gear. Odds are it's also less costly to maintain over time.

Pros for the X: Larger space and more cargo room, more comfortable to drive given the Raven suspension. More room for 7 (wouldn't consider the Y for 7 seats). Better range. Higher tow hitch rating (comes into play when trying to use a hitch mount for carrying heavier bikes).

Each car has it's own "personality" when it comes to braking. I found that the 3/Y were far better for "one-foot" driving as the regen was more effective with them. With the X, we found we still needed to touch brakes in order to slow down in a decent time.

So, now my decision comes down to really a few factors - ease of driving, comfort and price. The Y is really good for around town driving, seats are more than adequate, but on long drives the X wins hands down. The price difference is enough to sway me to towards the Y. The kids find the back seat good in the Y. Note that entertainment such as movies are better with the 3/Y's screen layout since you've got kids too.

We already have a Y anyway - my wife's LR. I'm mulling over the Performance but the damned X is really tempting too. I've essentially got a few months to figure it out. If they fitted the X with the new cells and increased range, it might be a no brainer. Wish the price was just a bit cheaper.

In March I’ll go to an MX from ‘18 MS 75D w/21” arachnids. I will miss the handling of the S, but need the extra space and versatility for a growing family of five. I’m on the fence about whether to get performance version and 22” wheels or the “Dad” version (LR+, 20”). I like the idea of having a family hauler that also hauls....

Ha do what I’m doing for the dad version, the LR+ with the 22”. Sporty looking and plenty fast 0-60....we are keeping our 2016 S tho. I can’t give her up!

Reactions: DIL
1: We originally ordered a S back in 2016 but after sitting in a X changed it. The interior of space in the X in on a different level, and space is a luxury worth paying extra for.

We are a family of 3, and our daughter loves our X, in 6 seater config the entire extended family can come on road trips in comfort.

42414039144_87acd7eea4_z.jpg

2: We have a lowly 75D, but previously I had a modded BMW 335i running stupid WHP and driven a fair number of P85/90D S/Xs. Ultimately this is a family car, the LR has more than enough power already, and remember this thing weighs 3tons gross getting going is one thing needing to stop it quickly is quite another!! If you have the cash to splash get the P, but in the real world even our 75D keeps up with supercars that makes ALOT of racket in the real world!!

3: 20 inches gives better ride and range, but 22s look great.

4: FSD beta seems to have moved the game on, no-brainer option to get if your spending this much already on a car.

5: No idea, but just get a X, you could get a Y but why get a factory raised Model 3 when you can have the best family car for sale today at any price!

48395616702_2da0ab2d92_h.jpg

…..as for Tesla stock, if all of us could be given access to a Time Machine :)

Last edited:
Driving wise, a model S performance or even long range will definite be much more fun. Model X non performance version drives like a heavy car it is. Still pretty fast and powerful, but not super car level of a performance S, feels a lot more mundane.

However, nowadays I don't find myself driving personally much anymore. Mostly I just have the car drive itself on highways and only taking over on the remaining city roads. Ride quality wise, when you are not driving, model x is unbeatable. Air suspension for the smooth ride + panoramic windshield for the view.

I went with an LR+ X 5 seater this past March, and have used the back of the X as a truck of sorts many times. Also used it as a 2 person camper every night on a 12 day, 5,200+ mile road trip through 5 National Parks. A 5 seater X plus Camping Mode is uniquely awesome IMO.

Sounds like an amazing trip!

Just curious, do most parks have camping with power for recharging?

I went from P85D to six seat X P100D ...not to echo all the above comments but I don’t regret at all ..I see u also want a six seater my only wish is I went with a seven seater as I actually have less cargo space than I did on S with seats folded:eek:... given current pricing of Ps I personally wouldn’t go from P to LR ;)